Oklahoma Play-by-Play

Mavric

29 minutes ago, Undone said:

Extremely bad decision by Rattler to throw that pass. He had no pressure at all and then throws into what is practically triple coverage.

He probably didn't see all the coverage and thought he was throwing up a 50/50 ball thinking he has a stud WR that will go get it.  

Isn't it nice having big athletic defenders back there?

35 minutes ago, Undone said:

Another good run with success with a linemen pulling.

I wanna see Rahmir running a power toss this Saturday night - that could be good stuff.

The IZ has been so awful this year, whereas the options and wider hitting powers, OZ have been money. However we are still seeing IZ as our primary running play and I bet we run 3X as many of them as anything that intentionally hits wider. Don't get the continuous square peg in round hole playcalling

4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The IZ has been so awful this year, whereas the options and wider hitting powers, OZ have been money. However we are still seeing IZ as our primary running play and I bet we run 3X as many of them as anything that intentionally hits wider. Don't get the continuous square peg in round hole playcalling

Agreed, sir.

This is just message board speculation but I wonder if maybe Austin & Frost didn't think some of their younger linemen could handle more complicated concepts? Not sure. But on the flip side of that coin, if your guys can't handle something basic and you struggle with it over and over...gotta switch it up maybe, right?

Tangentially, Jurgens has an amazing upfield block off a pull where he pancakes a guy in one of the above clips Mavric posted. Guy's a pitbull for sure.

4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

What a shock.  You continue to over-exaggerate when you think something is bad.

Run distribution by direction:

Outside LT: 28 carries, 102 yards, 3.6 ypa

Between the tackles: 71 carries, 257 yards, 3.6 ypa

Outside RT: 48 carries, 226 yards, 4.7 ypa

So we're pretty much 50/50 running inside or outside (slightly more outside).  And we haven't been any better running left than we have been up the middle.  Noticably better running outside right.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Nice delivery by Martinez.  Corcoran ... ouch.

I missed most of the game but saw Corcoran had awful numbers on how he graded out....

My question is: Was he beat with swim/spin moves inside or why did he basically just stop mid way and freeze up. I dont claim to be an O-line expert but he struggled to get contact and then seemed to give up as soon as the defender was across his left shoulder. Either he is super slow or he was scared the guy would turn back in on him.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed, sir.

This is just message board speculation but I wonder if maybe Austin & Frost didn't think some of their younger linemen could handle more complicated concepts? Not sure. But on the flip side of that coin, if your guys can't handle something basic and you struggle with it over and over...gotta switch it up maybe, right?

Tangentially, Jurgens has an amazing upfield block off a pull where he pancakes a guy in one of the above clips Mavric posted. Guy's a pitbull for sure.

Yes, Cam we all know is an amazing athletic specimen with the aggressive attitude most of us appreciate. He's snapping better also. 

OZ rules really aren't that different than IZ, covered/uncovered- the blocking tech is different- horizontal rather than vertical displacement. So if our OL can't get it- it's most likely a technique issue which goes to coaching. 

I get not running before you're walking and our IZ looking like we are a baby barely being able to hold its head up, not crawling yet, let alone walking. But if we can't get the IZ going, for heavens sake try something else. 

28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

What a shock.  You continue to over-exaggerate when you think something is bad.

Run distribution by direction:

Outside LT: 28 carries, 102 yards, 3.6 ypa

Between the tackles: 71 carries, 257 yards, 3.6 ypa

Outside RT: 48 carries, 226 yards, 4.7 ypa

So we're pretty much 50/50 running inside or outside (slightly more outside).  And we haven't been any better running left than we have been up the middle.  Noticably better running outside right.

You do realize IZ plays can be bounced outside when absolutely nothing is open inside right? and those plays get counted as running outside". That has happened quite a bit with this team- as the middle is usually stacked up. 

The designed outside runs seem to be hitting for more yardage than the inside runs- as I suggested. We've all seen the outside running game has been more productive than the inside one.  

1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

You do realize IZ plays can be bounced outside when absolutely nothing is open inside right- and those plays get counted as running outside". That has happened quite a bit with this team- as the middle is usually stacked up. 

The designed outside runs seem to be hitting for more yardage than the inside runs- as I suggested. 

And to that fact, a lot of the outside success is because the defense got caught up plugging the inside while the RB bounced it outside.  

Those outside runs wouldn't be as effective if that is what we ran the majority of the time.  The defense has to think you will run inside as well.  I thought you were a coach?

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2
27 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I missed most of the game but saw Corcoran had awful numbers on how he graded out....

My question is: Was he beat with swim/spin moves inside or why did he basically just stop mid way and freeze up. I dont claim to be an O-line expert but he struggled to get contact and then seemed to give up as soon as the defender was across his left shoulder. Either he is super slow or he was scared the guy would turn back in on him.

My guess is he is still suffering from the hamstring injury. Those take forever to heal. When Banks took his place- Banks was even worse. 

Hopefully he heals up or they put Teddy there full time