Oklahoma Play-by-Play

Mavric

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Most important part of this play shows some growth in AM’s accuracy this year.  Last year this play hardly ever worked because the receiver rarely caught the ball in stride.  This pass was perfect!!  Combined with excellent blocking of course.  

Very well could be the difference between injured Adrian and healthy Adrian. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Very well could be the difference between injured Adrian and healthy Adrian. 

Not really, accuracy on this short of pass isn’t affected by slight arm injury.  

If we were talking deep outs, vertical passes between safety and linebacker I could definitely see your point.  his long ball accuracy would suffer too if injured I guess.  

• Fire 1
45 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We don’t do as much as we should/could IMO.   Whoever said we never do play action or boot is just wrong. 

Pretty sure do some kind of play fake on a majority of our passing plays. This offensive scheme is predicated on misdirection. Boots and rollouts we could definitely use more of, but we actually have to have defenses that fear the run game for it to work.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We don’t do as much as we should/could IMO.   Whoever said we never do play action or boot is just wrong. 

NU run a similar play to Vokalek at the end of the 3rd quarter.  It may have not been exactly like the above play, but it was similar in that Vokalek snuck through the defense on play/bootleg action.  That resulted in him being wide open and getting inside OU's 10 yard line, and led to a TD.  Those types of plays are all ran with the goal of producing a chunk play.  NU has to hold onto them until the right moment.  I credit Frost/Lubick for going back to it in the same quarter.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Pretty sure do some kind of play fake on a majority of our passing plays. This offensive scheme is predicated on misdirection. Boots and rollouts we could definitely use more of, but we actually have to have defenses that fear the run game for it to work.

Boots and rollouts were more of what I was talking about and I should have clarified I guess

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU run a similar play to Vokalek at the end of the 3rd quarter.  It may have not been exactly like the above play, but it was similar in that Vokalek snuck through the defense on play/bootleg action.  That resulted in him being wide open and getting inside OU's 10 yard line, and led to a TD.  Those types of plays are all ran with the goal of producing a chunk play.  NU has to hold onto them until the right moment.  I credit Frost/Lubick for going back to it in the same quarter.

Is there an echo in here?

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I don't know how true this is in the college game, but there has been analysis done in the NFL which shows that an effective run game isn't necessarily needed for effective play action passes.  Defenders are so keyed on the simple play action that they get fooled on the fake and the LB/safeties bite on the play action regardless of how good the offense is at running the ball.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/further-research-play-action-passing