Oklahoma Play-by-Play

Mavric

This is actually a pretty nice play by Benhart.  Not the getting beat part - that sucks.  But the guy he's trying to block is a freak athlete.

The part that's the nice play is not holding or blocking in the back after he got beat.  He at least gives Martinez the chance to pull his Houdini act.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Well it was a Big Ten officiating crew and they've called what, like 2 holdings on our opponents since we joined the Big Ten. 

To be fair, they only called 1 holding in this game and that occurred on a punt return. 

There was a lot to like in that second half. There has been a lot to like about Adrian's play this year. The last drive wasn't the best, but it was a difficult situation and he had legitimately no time on first down. But the throws he's missed, he's missed in the spot where you need to miss. 

I think having Verduzco on the sideline has helped. I think having bigger play makers has helped. If we can get the line to get just 10-20% better, I think we may find ourselves on the winning end of more games than we think. I think they're close. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Great play by Martinez.  With all the pressure he's been under this year, it would have been easy to get happy feet as the pocket closes in.  But the protection was good enough and Martinez trusted it enough to let the play develop and find Manning.

I found this play so interesting. I remember last year a receiver dropped a TD pass in the end zone. It was slightly behind him but, he got two hands on it. 

The Dan discussion after was whose fault it was. Some fans claimed it was a horrible pass from 2AM. Others thought the WR should have been able to catch it. 

this play is an example of what can happen when you have good athletic receivers with a big catch radius. 

It all of a sudden turns into a great play. 

• Plus1 1

Finally rewatching it play by play, and man that first drive was frustrating. So close to getting them off the field so many times!

• 2nd and 7 swing pass could've been a 4 yard loss, but Domann can't make the tackle (don't see that often) and Henrich whiffs (do see that quite a bit) instead it's 3rd and 5. I like 3rd and 11 a lot more.
  • Which we do actually get thanks to a false start! Could've potentially been 3rd and 16 though, if the defensive movement worked the same. Give up 3rd and 11 on a very nice throw. Not terribly mad about it.
  • Another 2nd and 7, Reimer almost makes a pick - didn't realize how close he was during the game. I think he might've boxed out better if he knew the receiver was right on him.
  • 3rd and 7, the infamous pick play. As discussed in another thread and on the air, the receiver ducks back behind the LOS so Stoops can block downfield. Still not sure it's a legal block - it's been weirdly difficult for me to find the actual wording of the rule. But in the NFL, any block initiated where the blocker is moving parallel to or toward his one end line is a blindside block. So even though CTB is running toward him, his head is turned and Stoops is definitely running parallel to the end zone and even steps back toward the OU end zone. I don't know the exact wording of the college rule. But teeing off on a guy chasing the receiver is exactly what they're trying to get out of the game.
  • I hate QB sneaks. On the overhead view, I'm not convince Rattler made it - it's too easy to just push into the pile, and then down or not you can work the ball forward while the run up and peel guys off the pile. I don't think we would've stopped them twice more in a row, but you never know.

• Plus1 1

And the safety pretty much has to come down in close to help in this case because the strong side backer is in more of a run fit look.

This play is beautiful because of the athleticism of 2AM's throw + Jets Betts turning on the afterburners.

But the one that was the real X's & O's genius was the one where Vokolek got wide open. That one was a play design work of art.