Oklahoma Play-by-Play

Mavric

Rewatching the game. OU first drive. 3rd and 11. doesn’t it look like CTB plays the ball and not his man? If he plays his man it is probably 4th and 2. OU might still have gone for it bc of field position but that is the 2nd time I think he has given up a first down bc of this.

Not getting off the field on 3rd down is a killer.

still not convinced Rattler was in on that goal line td.

• Plus1 1

I think this is my last one for this game - Manning toasts the safety here and it might have been 6. But there's an unblocked defender in Martinez's face right when Manning makes his break. The live broadcast showed an end zone view, pretty sure Martinez couldn't even see Manning with the defender right there. Even if he could, can't make the throw through him. We had 5 to block 4, just couldn't get it done. Toure beats his guy a little later too, this was a huge missed opportunity.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

I think this is my last one for this game - Manning toasts the safety here and it might have been 6. But there's an unblocked defender in Martinez's face right when Manning makes his break.

Yes, good catch on this one. And what's the common denominator? Empty backfield, five guys wide. Our line just can't handle this set.

But on the other side of the coin, the formation itself is what makes it possible for one of our two best receivers to be in a one-on-one situation and put themselves into position for a big play.

I guess for me I'll try to see this as the glass being half full; we now have multiple skill players beating their man and putting themselves into position for big plays. Something we really haven't had since 2018.

But...this was the formation where Martinez got tackled and lost the ball against Illinois.