Oklahoma Play-by-Play

Mavric

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Can't really tell what happens to Corcoran here.  Looks like the DE takes a little jab step inside and Corcoran waaaay overreacts then gets beat coming back to the outside.

But 2AM definitely makes some chicken salad here.

I'm glad he slid on this play, got enough yards and protected the ball. Can't fumble if you're down.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I'm glad he slid on this play, got enough yards and protected the ball. Can't fumble if you're down.

Yeah, getting down was good.  I would have liked to see him dive forward to get the first down.  But it's tough to keep track of exactly where you're at when you're running around like that.

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, getting down was good.  I would have liked to see him dive forward to get the first down.  But it's tough to keep track of exactly where you're at when you're running around like that.

I remember being very frustrated in hindsight because the next play Ervin tore up his knee with the first down in reach, and then we had a penalty so it was 3rd and 7. But looking through the drives again Adrian converted and we scored, and there was no way of knowing we'd turn a 2nd and 2 into a 3rd and 7. So yeah, I'm ok with it but also would've liked to see a fall forward for a couple more. 

Definitely trivial message board level stuff, but I'll chime in and say that a lot of Martinez's fumbles in his career have been when he's stretching out for that extra yard.

Against OU when you have to bring everything plus the kitchen sink, probably good to dive & stretch for yardage. But all in all I really love Martinez protecting his body and the ball in traffic.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Definitely trivial message board level stuff, but I'll chime in and say that a lot of Martinez's fumbles in his career have been when he's stretching out for that extra yard.

Against OU when you have to bring everything plus the kitchen sink, probably good to dive & stretch for yardage. But all in all I really love Martinez protecting his body and the ball in traffic.

Yeah, that is definitely the trade off.  He likes to reach the ball when he dives and that's gotten him in trouble.  That's where the fumbles came from against Rutgers last year and kind of the same same this year against Illinois.  IIRC, I think it was the Purdue game last year (two years ago?) where he tried to dive for a first down early in the game and fumbled.  Then later he slid just short of the line to gain and you could see he was mad at himself once he realized he was just short of the sticks.

So there's not an easy answer.  Safer is probably better.

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Need the All-22, but it looks like there is a hole to the left, and Ervin just misses it. 

Yeah, it sure looks like there's a hole there.  It kind of looks to me like he didn't think he could get through before the backside DE got to him so he cut away from him.  But tough to tell.

I've watched that short TD run by Adrian a million times but I'm just now realizing that Benhart was in at left tackle.

Big props to Frost/Lubick because you know they'd been practicing this one a lot for this particular scenario. Frost kind of redeeming himself for some of those frick-ups inside the 5 yard line maybe.   :thumbs

• Plus1 1

I would guess plays like this are what kept our grading down.  We basically miss two tackles from two starting LBs.  Yeah, they were tougher tackles but you'd like to think they wouldn't both whiff on the same play.

But we also do a great job of running to the ball.  Not many times you can get a missed tackle from two LBs and still stop them for no gain.

• Plus1 1