Jaquez Yant???

BenchCoach

Why does Jaquez Yant never get a serious look??..I’m sure it’s possible there is a legit reason this guy doesn’t get more opportunities but I wonder what they are??…At some point the coaches loved him to because they gave him a scholarship last spring. All I have seen from this young man is pure dominant physical running. He never goes down with first contact. He offers something none of these other backs do. Pure physical running back. If anyone has some insight on Jaquez and what’s going on I would love to hear about it.

• Plus1 3

After watching him run in the Spring game and the limited carries he's gotten this  fall- I thought he would be getting more playing time than he has. 

We don't have a back with the physicality this kid has. If he's not patient enough to run Inside zone- then run power with him. There aren't any teams out there game planning around him- he hasn't played. 

7 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I get the idea here. And I have said if Held wasn't such a great recruiter he would be the first on my list to get axed, but I have to believe there is a reason he isn't playing. Frost referenced him getting down to weight yesterday in his PC. Maybe he is also a fumble risk or something thats keeping him out. 

This is my take.  He may be fumbling too much in practice to trust him.  Our win condition margins are thin; fumbles kill us.  

That said, I look forward to him being a big part of the run game in the future.

5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

The running back rotation is absolutely confusing at best, and downright infuriating at worst. So, TL;DR: 

image.gif.5968008e7e11fc99afd74a99ebca6130.gif

This times 1,000%.

Who knows what's happening there. Just look at Stepp who ran for 102 yards on 18 att. against Fordham, 20 yards on 9 att. against Buffalo, and didn't have a single carry against OU. Just when you think someone is making something of themselves, they disappear. That's been the theme almost every season under Frost. That, to me, is a coaching issue.

The rumor mill swirling at the moment (according to Damon Benning) is that Held is 'under a lot of pressure' right now. He went on to say that there are two people either very close to or whom work closely with Held inside the program that are not very big fans of Held's. DB wouldn't go into much further detail but I definitely interpreted what he said as meaning Held knows he and his unit aren't getting it done.

I don't think Held's seat is quite as hot as Austin's but it is definitely warm, and with good reason. Being considered one of the staff's best recruiters is great, but that unit has been consistently inconsistent for four seasons now.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This times 1,000%.

Who knows what's happening there. Just look at Stepp who ran for 102 yards on 18 att. against Fordham, 20 yards on 9 att. against Buffalo, and didn't have a single carry against OU. Just when you think someone is making something of themselves, they disappear. That's been the theme almost every season under Frost. That, to me, is a coaching issue.

The rumor mill swirling at the moment (according to Damon Benning) is that Held is 'under a lot of pressure' right now. He went on to say that there are two people either very close to or whom work closely with Held inside the program that are not very big fans of Held's. DB wouldn't go into much further detail but I definitely interpreted what he said as meaning Held knows he and his unit aren't getting it done.

I don't think Held's seat is quite as hot as Austin's but it is definitely warm, and with good reason. Being considered one of the staff's best recruiters is great, but that unit has been consistently inconsistent for four seasons now.

You have to have good recruiting.  But, this is one reason why I don't like it when it seems like a guy is being kept around because "he's a great recruiter".  You first have to be a good coach.  That's your first priority.  Then, every staff has to have a few who are really good at both.

If you are just a good recruiter, you might as well be the recruiting coordinator and leave the coaching to someone else.

That said, I do think more of our problem with the running game is with the line.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This times 1,000%.

This has always baffled me too. One week, you watch somebody that has had a solid performance and think maybe earned the next start but the following week they turn into the a milk carton kid. It seems this staff values practice performance above all else, including game performance, so maybe he just had a bad week of practice and was benched. But who knows? 10,000' view, it looks really erratic.

• Plus1 1

I like the look of Yant, too. 

By game four, I really wanted and expected to be getting excited about one of these guys, even if they were doing some platooning. 

It's probably not good for RB morale if your QB is always going to be your leading rusher, and if you collectively have 8 completions to the running backs after four games. I still don't get why a Scott Frost offense, faced with an offensive line that gives up a lot of early penetration, isn't using a steady diet of outlet passes to the running backs.

• Plus1 1

We all know Helds heartfelt story. Fought his way through the nasty JC ranks and is a tireless recruiter. He is a workhorse, we all love that. 

Recruiting wise he was supposed to be our IN to the JC world- he is really connected there. Unfortunately most of our high hopes with JC talent hasn't exactly lit the world on fire. Now with the transfer portal- JCs don't matter as much- maybe hardly at all. Lots of tape on kids who have snaps in College football- less risk and probably not worried if they can  handle the class load etc

This RB crew reminds me of the mini committee we had of average kids the last couple of years of Coach Solichs tenure. I would LOVE to see Held do well and the Olines haven't been great, but he very well may be on thin ice. 

• Plus1 1