Jaquez Yant???

BenchCoach

No team in the BIG is game planning for Yant, he has no book of work. As long as he can hold onto the ball (if he is having consistent problems with that in practice sure don't play him), not sure why it wouldn't make sense to bring him in on a short yardage down to get the first down. Once a small book is established on short yardage and defenses are thinking handoff to Yant- throw a quick play action pass off of it. He simply is an arrow in the quiver that is different from the rest. 

• Haha 3

I've watched football for a long time and have never seen RB/WR randomness like this staff has done. I know others have outlined it but it makes absolutely zero sense some of the decisions we make on the depth chart. 

Start a true freshman in Ervin game 1 & 2. Stepp starts game 3. Rahmir Johnson starts game 4 -- had 4 carries for 9 yards the week prior. I personally wish Yant and Scott had more carries thus far in the season particularly vs Fordham and Buffalo. Either way with our OL play our RB haven't done much of anything. 

And for the WR everyone in the world knows Betts and Manning should always play ahead of Liewer yet he continued to play and start. This isn't the first year this has happened either. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
On 9/22/2021 at 12:17 PM, BIG ERN said:

I've watched football for a long time and have never seen RB/WR randomness like this staff has done. I know others have outlined it but it makes absolutely zero sense some of the decisions we make on the depth chart. 

Start a true freshman in Ervin game 1 & 2. Stepp starts game 3. Rahmir Johnson starts game 4 -- had 4 carries for 9 yards the week prior. I personally wish Yant and Scott had more carries thus far in the season

On 9/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, BaytownHusker said:

Our Rb room has to have the lowest confidence in the country.  How do back get better as the game goes if they don't even get a chance. 2 carries here. 3-4 carries there and then disappear. Running backs have to have some sort of stability. 

Frost said late in fall camp that he didn't want to have an RB by committee approach. That should pretty much tell you what's going on: the coaches aren't swapping RBs in and out just for s#!ts and giggles, they're doing it because as of right now, they feel that they need to.

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...

12 hours ago, BenchCoach said:

Been calling for this for a month…his second carry was the most physical and longest run of the season but what do I know…either way happy the kid is finally getting a real look…he will be fun to watch the next 4 years

And if HCSF puts him in earlier like you were calling for, 25 lbs over weight and out of shape, he doesn't perform like he did last night..

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

And if HCSF puts him in earlier like you were calling for, 25 lbs over weight and out of shape, he doesn't perform like he did last night..

I was scrolling thru my Twitter feed and it said Yant came back to campus for fall camp at 258 pounds, after playing the spring at 232.  That's not acceptable for Yant to do that. 

We want the coaches to hold the kids accountable, and that's what Frost did for Yant.  Yant at 245-255 is just a big back who will run straight forward. Yant at 230-235 is a big back with moves (which we saw tonight). Yant at the lower weight also enables him to carry the ball 13 times tonight instead of half that many. I give credit to Held and Frost to make Yant earn his playing time, and Yant for losing the weight he needed to. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2

Coming out of the Spring game I said it would be Ervin and Yant. He certainly gives this offense a different dimension. I like how he runs. In all fairness to the other backs- the holes in this game werent like anything we saw all season. AND lots less penetration- the game was being played on the Defenses side of the ball- very few times did a defender have to be beat just to make it back to the LOS

• Plus1 1

What a coming out party for Yant. If he can keep his weight down and continue to learn the playbook I can see an illustrious future for him at NU. Every time I've seen him run the ball he just seems to have that little bit extra you don't always see in other backs and and if I'm a DB I wouldn't want to have to try to tackle him when he's coming at me with a head of steam. Looked pretty good blocking in pass protection too.