Nebraska Special Teams- WORST In Power 5 During Frost Tenure

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

The Huskers were doing this this spring and fall.

Great- then they need to try something else. Coach Frost must have gone to to the same clinic I did :D

Or do you think they should just stick with the same approach and no special teams coach? More of the same. Yes, that's the ticket. The 4 year track record is just stellar ;)  Terrible special teams has cost this team 11 games in the last 3 years, kept us out of Bowl Games. THose losses cost us recruits- SO no worries, more of the same. 

And heaven forbid pointing it out, quoting numbers and criticizing it- shame shame. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

That article did a great job of illustrating the issues.  I mean, we all knew that Special Teams have cost NU several games during Frost’s tenure - but that was an excellent outline of just how catastrophic the mistakes have been.  

How many wins have we given away?  Which also begs the question about how many bowl games we’ve missed because of Special Teams?  How many recruits dismiss NU because they want to play for a winner?  

It is an enormous problem.  That Frost has not figured out how to make Special Teams just neutral, is alarming.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Husker4Real said:

That article did a great job of illustrating the issues.  I mean, we all knew that Special Teams have cost NU several games during Frost’s tenure - but that was an excellent outline of just how catastrophic the mistakes have been.  

How many wins have we given away?  Which also begs the question about how many bowl games we’ve missed because of Special Teams?  How many recruits dismiss NU because they want to play for a winner?  

It is an enormous problem.  That Frost has not figured out how to make Special Teams just neutral, is alarming.  

Nah- let's keep doing the same thing. In fact we should just ignore our special teams issues- not even talk about it. Let's keep it an open secret. :D

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Great- then they need to try something else. Coach Frost must have gone to to the same clinic I did :D

Or do you think they should just stick with the same approach and no special teams coach? More of the same. Yes, that's the ticket. The 4 year track record is just stellar ;)  Terrible special teams has cost this team 11 games in the last 3 years, kept us out of Bowl Games. THose losses cost us recruits- SO no worries, more of the same. 

And heaven forbid pointing it out, quoting numbers and criticizing it- shame shame. 

think i found part of the special teams issue.

7 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Nah- let's keep doing the same thing. In fact we should just ignore it- not even talk about it. Let's keep it an open secret. :D

could you tell us what they were doing 3 yrs ago, in practice, versus what they are doing now? it will help illustrate if the staff is making changes in their approach or not.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

How about you just stop insisting you know a whole lot more than you actually know and then when you called on it just move the goal posts and argue against strawmen?

• Plus1 5
8 hours ago, Mavric said:

How about you just stop insisting you know a whole lot more than you actually know and then when you called on it just move the goal posts and argue against strawmen?

Ok mightly massa.  We will promise to all think like you, dare not to have any varied opinion. Bow down to your all knowing knowledge of NU football. Toe your line and be mini "Mavrics". Got it massa.  You have people virtually apologizing in advance in their posts for having an opinion that might be different from yours-well done. LOL

• Haha 1

Nebraska55fan: We should do this!

Mavric: We did do that this year.

Nebraska55fan: Oh, so you're on board doing exactly what we've been doing and obviously disagree with me about a totally separate special teams suggestion!

Just stop dude. We all agree the special teams sucks, and has sucked for Frost's tenure. Many people agree with you that we should have a dedicated special teams coach. But most people, when informed that their idea had actually already been implemented would say something like "well I'm glad they are at least trying some new things, but given the results I still think a dedicated coach and other steps are needed." Not flip out at the person pointing out that we've been doing the practice suggestion and accusing them of not being on board with any special teams changes.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Nebraska55fan: We should do this!

Mavric: We did do that this year.

Nebraska55fan: Oh, so you're on board doing exactly what we've been doing and obviously disagree with me about a totally separate special teams suggestion!

Just stop dude. We all agree the special teams sucks, and has sucked for Frost's tenure. Many people agree with you that we should have a dedicated special teams coach. But most people, when informed that their idea had actually already been implemented would say something like "well I'm glad they are at least trying some new things, but given the results I still think a dedicated coach and other steps are needed." Not flip out at the person pointing out that we've been doing the practice suggestion and accusing them of not being on board with any special teams changes.

Your buddy Mav makes fun of the idea of having a dedicated Special Teams coach and makes excuses for this gross and consistent incompetence at nearly every turn. If what he is saying is true- great- but we can all agree whatever they are doing from a structural standpoint with special teams needs a radical- not incremental change. 

I've seen offensive minded coaches who think it's all about offense many times, they think they can outscore and outscheme teams to win games. Many of those type of teams invariably have issues with special teams. They may talk about them, but they don't really put the time and effort into understanding how to coach them- nor invest the practice time in them. That's where I think we are- 4 years worth of consistent data- its not bad luck or bad players. For goodness sakes we are equal to Kansas and Arizona- does ANYONE think we dont have much better players than them?

If that is the case- then it's coaching. 

Special Teams- Scott Frost's kryptonite it seems. The gift that keeps on giving. In the punting game alone- NU punted 7 times- averaged about 33 yards. MSU punted six times for an average of 59 yards. So we gave up 124 total yards in the punting game. 

MSU had 3 Kickoff Returns for 84 yards. If you combine all the return yardage MSU outgained NU by 320 yards. So the big advantage we had thanks to our great defense was totally negated by our awful special teams and struggling offense. 

I'm saying once again- our Special Teams issues are STRUCTURAL> We struggle with all 6 aspects of Special Teams. YOu can SAY you are focusing on Special Teams- but if you don't know the properly implement schemes, efficient scouting and game planning or how to effectively teach and communicate effectively to your players, it's going to fail. I don't think they are devoting the time, they can't be. If they are that's bad too- they can't coach it. 

Not sure why when we have trouble kicking ANY kind of punt- 7 yard shank, 29 yard shank etc- why would we attempt a directional kick with less than 4 minutes left in the game? We were supposed to kick right- we went left- not sure if this was communication error or player error. 

MSU kicking off from their 20- thanks to penalty. We return it to what the 17? Please for the sake of all things holy- Just fair catch everything until we hire a Special Teams Coach. 

On 9/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, soup said:

Maybe we should hire Mr 450k Bruce Read back?

Read was one of "those" guys. Not a great coach, not a good coach, but not a terrible coach. 

He- like Mike Riley is well liked, has LOTS of connections. They always find jobs- usually short term ones where the team just needs a body.  His only long tenure was his first job working for his dad. LOTS of 1 year gigs. 

Then he latches onto SMilin Mike at a coaches clinic and is with him at OSU and Nebraska. The problem people here had with him- is he was Mike Rileys buddy and doubled his salary by coming here. Not a fan of the check cashing - retirement fund piling scheme Smilin Mike put on here for his "last adventure". Bringing your buddy along to cash in on the big $$ with mediocre results just didn't sit well with many. He wasn't awful, but our Special Teams were even better before him- Bo coached them himself. 

He's now coaching Special Teams in Junior College ball- if that gives you any idea what is market value really is in a TRUE open market situation.