Michigan State: What did we learn?

This team could be 4-1 and should be 3-2 but finds itself at 2-3 because of special teams. Hell, Nebraska walks out of East Lansing 3-2 if the punter just kicks it the right direction. 

Adrian played a decent game, but he missed a lot of plays where the TE was open over the top, including one in OT that would have been a touchdown on the first play. Those opportunities were there and he missed them. Tough to critique like that but I guarantee that's the first thing he would think/say too. That INT in OT wasn't a bad throw/decision, Toure didn't run the best route, but I liked that Adrian at least gave the defense a chance to force a tough kick by hustling back. 

This is not the same team that lost to Illinois, and what a fluky game that feels like. 

Love, love, love the defense. 

I hope they can manage the emotions of these two tough road losses against ranked teams. I hope they can hold each other accountable without producing a lot of tension. They are so, so, so close. 

Culp going 2/2 on FG and PATs was good to see. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

That's why I said "we've been stuck on losing small".  Everyone knows Frost is coaching for his job.  Frost knows he is.

That's why I asked, can he win enough close games coming up?  I think the D will steal a couple.  They're playing that good.

No sunshine pump here.  I'm just seeing an experienced nearly elite level defense playing their hearts out.  That usually translates to wins.  If it doesn't, Frost is either out or sitting on a sizzling griddle heading into next year.

I agree that the D is playing spectacular, but that alone should not be enough to save Frost his job. He has chosen all the players and coaches on offense and special teams which continue to cost us games. He has also brought in great talent, so if we do bring in a new coach that can manage all facets of the game, that new coach would start with a full cupboard. 

50 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I think we're beyond that at this point.  Frost cannot stop getting out of his own way and he's known the issues for 4 years and other than getting rid of an OC, he's done absolutely nothing to fix these issues.  This rests solely on Frost.

I think his play calling is bad.  Too many 1-2 yard runs up the middle leading to a 3rd and long predictable pass.  He (and the QB) needs to stop throwing in the flats on or about the LOS.  Football is a north-south game on the other side of the LOS.  Too many end and receivers were open over the middle between 5 and 15 yards deep.   
We have the best set of receivers that I can recall in 40 years.  The defense is good enough to play the top ten teams.

The special teams and play calling are bad.  The offensive line is not consistent, back and forth between good and bad many times in the same game.Frost should stop calling plays- be a head coach.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Well I guess it depends on what you think the solutions to fixing these issues are. I don't know what you've said in the past specifically so I can't really say if I would be critical or not. I just know there are some people who think firing Frost is the solution. I disagree with that. But someone should be fired. *cough* Austin *cough*

Some examples:

2014:

Me: “Nebraska makes too many mistakes - they're going to get blown out by Wisconsin”

Them: “No way, Nebraska is much better this year; they’re going to beat Wisconsin”

FINAL SCORE: Wisconsin 59, Nebraska 24

Me: “Nebraska better be careful, or they’re going to lose to Minnesota”

Them: “LOL, Nebraska is not going to lose to frickin Minnesota. You're a troll/clown”

FINAL SCORE: Minnesota 28, Nebraska 24

Me: “Mike Riley is a terrible hire”

Them: “All of his former players speak highly of him - he’s a diamond in the rough - he is a great hire”

'Nuff said

For the past several years, back to the Callahan era: 

Me: “Nebraska is one of the most undisciplined teams in the country - gotta get these little things fixed before we can make any big strides”

Them: “Maybe you should find a new team to cheer for”

The cycle continues...

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Some examples:

2014:

Me: “Nebraska makes too many mistakes - they're going to get blown out by Wisconsin”

Them: “No way, Nebraska is much better this year; they’re going to beat Wisconsin”

FINAL SCORE: Wisconsin 59, Nebraska 24

Me: “Nebraska better be careful, or they’re going to lose to Minnesota”

Them: “LOL, Nebraska is not going to lose to frickin Minnesota.”

FINAL SCORE: Minnesota 28, Nebraska 24

Me: “Mike Riley is a terrible hire”

Them: “All of his former players speak highly of him - he’s a diamond in the rough - he is a great hire”

'Nuff said

For the past several years, back to the Callahan era: 

Me: “Nebraska is one of the most undisciplined teams in the country - gotta get these little things fixed before we can make any big strides”

Them: “Maybe you should find a new team to cheer for”

The cycle continues...

Have you ever thought of saying the positive thing? You seem to be right so maybe if you just spoke things into existence we wouldn't be here. 

I blame you now. /s

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree that the D is playing spectacular, but that alone should not be enough to save Frost his job. He has chosen all the players and coaches on offense and special teams which continue to cost us games. He has also brought in great talent, so if we do bring in a new coach that can manage all facets of the game, that new coach would start with a full cupboard. 

If he still wins six he's not going anywhere.  Five and we'll see.  And this has nothing to do with what I think.  It has to do with what Alberts will do.  If we win six while knocking off a Wisconsin, Michigan, or Iowa.  Frost will most definitely be here next year.  

The debate on whether he should or not, I'm staying out of 

8 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

Have you ever thought of saying the positive thing? You seem to be right so maybe if you just spoke things into existence we wouldn't be here. 

I blame you now. /s

I do say the positive, when it is warranted. Just look in today's game thread, for example. I gave praise throughout. However, I call a spade a spade and I'm not afraid to tell it like it is. Some fans can't handle that, because a lot of times they view it as pessimism, when in actuality it's realism... but this season I see most are singing a different tune. I have high standards, I refuse to lower them, and I don't accept excuses (blaming the refs, the team is young, we're at a recruiting disadvantage, etc.)