Michigan State: What did we learn?

1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

Could have used the extra practices to fix some special team issues too.

This is part of a hidden problem for sure.  As is stands, Nebraska has not been bowling in 4 years.  That is roughly 40-50 practices that NU has missed.  The first season to miss was under Riley and the rest have been under Frost.  Regardless of our record now, that is still close to 3 spring/fall practices that NU missed.  Time to evaluate young/new talent.  Time to develop talent, teach scheme etc.....There are so many bowls now that roughly half of the FBS goes....So look at how many more practices are opponents get.   We are almost 1.5 additional years "behind" a lot of teams for missing the extra practices.....

Today winning cures a lot of ills, but even some kids that won't get offers to go to Bama, Clemson, OSU et al will choose some schools over NU because they can go bowling....And we haven't.  Not once under Frost.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I also see no reason why we would be capable of beating a B1G team.  Pathetic ST.  Pathetic discipline.  Pathetic O line.  Pathetic use of the offensive talent we have.  Really good defense, but it won’t be enough.   Each game will be like Groundhog Day.  D will keep us in each game until the O and ST screw up just enough to lose it.  

Exactly. In this conference, the teams that don’t make mistakes usually win. Something this program hasn’t learned since we joined the B1G. It’s the same old mistakes. Rinse and repeat. I’ve seen enough to know that our defense like you said may be good enough to keep us from being embarrassed on the scoreboard, but offense and ST will continue to blow it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

I learned that Nebraska can lose the game even when we get 440 yards and we keep our opponent at 257 yards. 

Was just coming to say this. I had to work so I couldn't catch the game, looked at the stats and was baffled. Not only the yardage difference but Nebraska 9-22 on 3rd and 4th compared to MSU going 1-12 on those downs. Final score doesn't match the stats

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

I go back to us declining a bowl game last year because 2 more weeks was just “too much”.

we fought for a football season, got it, then end up deciding against a bowl game because 2 more weeks was just too much to an already whacky and taxing season. That there should have gotten more attention to just what this program and team is. “Brotherhood” can’t stick it out for 2-3 more weeks for an extra game. 

Word is the defense wanted to play but no one else did. From the quality of play we have been seeing from the D I believe it.

31 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

The two  common denominators in that stat, the coach and the QB. 

So if we add in last nights game, that would be 14 games and 5 times the drive was ended with an interception or fumble.  Turnovers in 30% of the possessions is unbelievably bad.  Now let’s add in the turnovers in the final two minutes of first halves in games and now people can begin to really understand why this team sucks at the two minute and four minute offense.  
Coach is gun shy to call anything but basic plays and the Offense still turns it over at a crazy rate even with basic plays.  

• Plus1 1

One other thing I learned is that we had multiple chances with one of our 6’4” receivers being isolated against a DB from the 25 yrd line going in and I have yet to see a corner fade in this game or previous games this season that Incan remember.   That play has got to be a part of the playbook if this team wants to get better at scoring touchdowns in the green zone and red zone 

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

Word is the defense wanted to play but no one else did. From the quality of play we have been seeing from the D I believe it.

This is why I’m starting to come around to the idea of Chinander for Interim HC. He’s got his kids playing with the right attitude, and they see the big picture and lay it on the line. For the most part…

That’s what we need out of this offense. That’s what we need out of special teams. Smart, attacking, sound football. Chin may not know defense, but as HC he can instill his vision and drive, and maybe get the O and ST on the same page as the D.