Michigan State: What did we learn?

11 hours ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I think we're beyond that at this point.  Frost cannot stop getting out of his own way and he's known the issues for 4 years and other than getting rid of an OC, he's done absolutely nothing to fix these issues.  This rests solely on Frost.

Frost has had plenty of time and nothing holding him back but himself from making big-boy staffing changes to get us over the hump. We had three seasons of disappointment and did nothing this past offseason but replace an analyst, that's not how you win. Yes this is the same old movie Frost, and you're the director with plenty of resources and minimal studio interference, so this is all on you. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Frost has had plenty of time and nothing holding him back but himself from making big-boy staffing changes to get us over the hump. We had three seasons of disappointment and did nothing this past offseason but replace an analyst, that's not how you win. Yes this is the same old movie Frost, and you're the director with plenty of resources and minimal studio interference, so this is all on you. 

I would tend to agree with you but from what it sounds like from Frost is that when he watches practice and his coaches they are doing everything the way he wants it done, so it would be hard for him to justify firing a coach when they are doing everything you are asking them to do and the players for whatever reason are making the mistakes. 

• Haha 1

When you watch our team play you just have to expect we're going to lose. That's where this program is at; we are a 5-7 dumpster fire that is now in a low, perpetual smolder.

Special teams have been the biggest problem on this team since 2019 and Scott just isn't fixing it.

That embarrassment of a punt team play is a slap in the face to Adrian and the defense. On our last TD drive I was like "that is Husker football right there." Then when I woke up this morning I was like "and that punt return for a touchdown was Scott Frost football."

• Plus1 3
31 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I would tend to agree with you but from what it sounds like from Frost is that when he watches practice and his coaches they are doing everything the way he wants it done, so it would be hard for him to justify firing a coach when they are doing everything you are asking them to do and the players for whatever reason are making the mistakes. 

This would mean Frost has to go since he evidently doesn't know how to run a team or judge his assistants. There is no "for whatever reason" in year 4, if we can't get our act together by now that is coaching. Plus Frost helps with the qb's. Mario has the smallest group to coach and Frost still feels the need to help him. What does it say that Mario was kept around when our O and ST's were struggling so much and that spot can obviously be put to better use?  It's not like you even have to ditch him altogether, make him an an analyst. 

5 minutes ago, Decked said:

Next year I don’t see the defense being nearly as good. I see no reason for optimism in regards to the OL/RB/special teams play improving. We are just wasting time hoping something magical happens that never will. Frost is a bad coach. 

Agreed. When the super seniors leave we'll see a drop off on defense.

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I’m sick of hearing about what they do in practice.  It’s become glaringly obvious that what happens in the practice field is not carrying over to Saturday (which seems to exemplified by our running back usage, a guy has a solid game then we don’t see him for a couple of weeks ((Stepp?)).  

If they truly are practicing  that well (which I really wonder about), then playing that poorly on Saturday, that’s again a coaching issue. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, 3rd and long said:

I’m sick of hearing about what they do in practice.  It’s become glaringly obvious that what happens in the practice field is not carrying over to Saturday (which seems to exemplified by our running back usage, a guy has a solid game then we don’t see him for a couple of weeks ((Stepp?)).  

If they truly are practicing  that well (which I really wonder about), then playing that poorly on Saturday, that’s again a coaching issue. 

34 minutes ago, Danimal said:

This would mean Frost has to go since he evidently doesn't know how to run a team or judge his assistants. There is no "for whatever reason" in year 4, if we can't get our act together by now that is coaching. Plus Frost helps with the qb's. Mario has the smallest group to coach and Frost still feels the need to help him. What does it say that Mario was kept around when our O and ST's were struggling so much and that spot can obviously be put to better use?  It's not like you even have to ditch him altogether, make him an an analyst. 

I hear you guys and I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is how do you correct something when you feel full heartedly that you are doing it correctly? 

11 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I hear you guys and I understand what you are saying. What I am saying is how do you correct something when you feel full heartedly that you are doing it correctly? 

To me, if they still believe they are doing it correctly, and given the results, is a huge part of the problem. And I wonder if a large part of that isn’t just plain stubbornness on Frost’s part. Unwilling to take a good hard, and most importantly, objective look at the program. 

19 minutes ago, RichardHangslow said:

I get what you're saying, but like I said if you are correct then Frost is the problem, and it's hard to see the problem changing. Then Trev needs to replace him with a coach that does see things clearly and gets how to run a program. Frost should then go down to Sabin's coaching rehab and learn how the most dominant coach of the modern era runs his show. Has worked wonders for other guys.