Frost needs fired

HCSF will not be fired unless there is some type of major implosion/collapse between right now and the end of the season.

Progress has been made, that is evident. 

The 2022 and 2023 Schedules stack up in a way where NU would probably be favored in 7-8 of those games. Several toss- ups and maybe a game or two where NU is a bit of a dog. A pretty friendly schedule one would think. This would give HCSF a chance to get some firmer ground to stand on and then start to recruit more effectively from that ground. 

23 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

HCSF will not be fired unless there is some type of major implosion/collapse between right now and the end of the season.

The 2022 and 2023 Schedules stack up in a way where NU would probably be favored in 7-8 of those games. Several toss- ups and maybe a game or two where NU is a bit of a dog. A pretty friendly schedule one would think. This would give HCSF a chance to get some firmer ground to stand on and then start to recruit more effectively from that ground. 

The Bold:  Kind of reminds me of the Clemson rebuild.  Bo beat Clemson & Dabo in the 2008 Gator Bowl.  Since that time, Clemson went on a long rebuild and became the power that they are (except for this year's step back). 

for old time memories:  The game review below also demonstrates why Joe Ganz is one of my top 10 favorite QBs ever at Nebraska.  

Nebraska vs. Clemson - Game Recap - January 1, 2009 - ESPN

Nebraska quarterback Joe Ganz was sprawled out on the ground, trainers huddled around him, teammates, coaches and fans wondering whether he would be able to continue playing.

Ganz eventually made his way to the sideline, cleared his head, got back in the game and ended up hoisting the Gator Bowl's most valuable player trophy.

His comeback provided an appropriate ending for Nebraska's season. After all, the Cornhuskers enjoyed one of college football's best turnarounds.

Ganz shook off a horrible first half and a slight concussion, threw for two touchdowns and led Nebraska to a 26-21 victory against Clemson in the Gator Bowl, giving the storied program plenty of optimism following coach Bo Pelini's first season.

"I'm proud of this group," said Pelini, who replaced fired coach Bill Callahan after Nebraska finished 5-7 in 2007. "It's been a tough 12 months, but there's been a lot of hard work by a lot of people and it's paid off. Now, we've got to keep it going."

Nebraska (9-4) ended the season with a four-game winning streak, including a victory against rival Colorado, won six of its final seven games and had success in a January bowl game for the first time in nine years.

"We have some momentum going right now," Pelini said. "People are excited, the kids are excited. It's starting to show how good they can be as a football team. It's fun to see. Now, we have to keep it going and pick that torch the seniors left and keep running with it."

Cornhuskers fans might have wanted to run Ganz out of Jacksonville at halftime. The senior had a fumble late in the first half that was returned 28 yards for a touchdown and threw an interception in the final minute that was returned 63 yards and led to another score.

The Tigers (7-6) took a 14-3 lead into the locker room, but Ganz brought Nebraska back with a 20-point third quarter. He also bounced back from that bone-crushing hit. Although Nebraska didn't score a touchdown after his return, Ganz's value was clear when backup Patrick Witt fumbled on his first play.

Clemson picked up the loose ball and returned it for a touchdown and a 27-23 lead, but officials overturned the call after review. Ganz was back the next series.

"When I stood up, I got a little dizzy," Ganz said. "My first step was a little crooked. After that, I regained my senses. It took a little bit to get the fog out. I got drilled into the ground pretty good. If I could have played, there was no way they were going to keep me out. ... They would have had to peel me off the field."

Ganz threw a 17-yard touchdown pass to Nate Swift to open the second half, then hooked up with Todd Peterson for a 19-yard score. Both of them came on third-and-long situations. Ganz completed 10 of 15 passes for 133 yards in the second half, and finished 19-of-36 for 236 yards.

"He epitomizes what this team is," Pelini said. "He had some bad things happen to him in that first half. There are a lot of kids that aren't as strong, don't have as much character and would have wilted under that type of circumstances. Joe kept going. ... A lot of people can learn from what he went through today.

"You've got to be a pretty special guy to have a fumble returned for a touchdown, an interception returned for a touchdown and still be the MVP of a game."

Ganz had some help.

Alex Henery kicked four field goals, including three in the second half. Quentin Castille, filling in for injured starter Roy Helu Jr. (knee infection), ran for 125 yards. And Nebraska's defense held Clemson to 91 yards in the second half.

"There were a lot of little plays along the way where we had opportunities and just didn't get it done," said Tigers coach Dabo Swinney, adding that Nebraska dominated his offensive line.

Swinney was hoping his team would maintain its late-season momentum. The Tigers won four of their last five games after a 3-3 start that prompted longtime coach Tommy Bowden to resign.

Clemson kept this one close by forcing field goals. After Henery's fourth, the Tigers had a final chance to go ahead. They advanced to the Nebraska 10 with 1:54 remaining, but Eric Hagg batted down a pass on first down and sacked Cullen Harper for a 16-yard loss on the next play.

"You've got to get rid of it," Swinney said. "Just don't take a sack."

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I can't tell yet how excited I should feel about next year though until Adrian announces his decision.

But, if he does leave and Smothers isn't quite ready yet, maybe our power run game will be sorted out. Maybe Rahmir & Yant emerge as the "thunder & lightning" combo and we just trample all over the B1G West without having to have our QB bail us out with incredible individual effort plays.

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I can't tell yet how excited I should feel about next year though until Adrian announces his decision.

But, if he does leave and Smothers isn't quite ready yet, maybe our power run game will be sorted out. Maybe Rahmir & Yant emerge as the "thunder & lightning" combo and we just trample all over the B1G West without having to have our QB bail us out with incredible individual effort plays.

Transfer Portal

But unless AM puts up crazy numbers- one would think his best opp to earn would be through NIL. He gets his Masters and has good income- little nest egg to allow for some flexibility in what he wants to do after he leaves. 

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I agree with you that I do not believe Frost will be fired.  With that said, I believe Minnesota and Purdue are must win games for Frost to retain his job.  If the Nebraska program has truly made progress and we are able to compete against elite teams until the end of the game, we should be able to handily beat teams like Minnesota and Purdue to show progress has been made.  We should also expect a win against Wisconsin (although not an easy win) to show that progress is being made.  

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

You mean you think Frost will tell Adrian "We need to get Smothers ready to take over for the next several years, so we're handing him the job?"

No, that wasn't very clear. 

I hope AM sticks around. If not- go to the Portal and see if you can pick up another QB. Not enough data on Smothers or Haarberg- not really impressed by either. But we've seen how important good QB play is in this offense and most years there have also been injury issues. 

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

No, that wasn't very clear. 

I hope AM sticks around. If not- go to the Portal and see if you can pick up another QB. Not enough data on Smothers or Haarberg- not really impressed by either. But we've seen how important good QB play is in this offense and most years there have also been injury issues. 

The problem is, no real way for us as fans to know that.  Sure, we have seen Smothers a little bit in games.  But, still, that's not a good enough sample size to know.  How can you say you're not impressed with Haarberg?  We haven't even seen him in games yet.

I remember before Ganz was the starter, a lot of Husker fans never thought he would amount to much either.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The problem is, no real way for us as fans to know that.  Sure, we have seen Smothers a little bit in games.  But, still, that's not a good enough sample size to know.  How can you say you're not impressed with Haarberg?  We haven't even seen him in games yet.

I was at the Spring Game and watched some of his HS film. Big arm, accuracy issues. Smothers- didn't see the arm strength- or great accuracy either. 

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a lot more to being a QB than arm strength.....and players do develop more as they are in the program.

Totally agree. 

Do you feel Martinez progressed much from year 1-2?  2-3?

How about Luke? How well did he progress while he was here ?

Vedral?

Because that's what we are talking about here. Haarberg- season 1 to 2

SMothers- season 2 to 3

What is the track record there over the long haul with our QBs coach making our QBs a lot better than when they arrived?

4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Totally agree. 

SMothers- season 2 to 3

What is the track record there over the long haul with our QBs coach making our QBs a lot better than when they arrived?

What is the "long haul"?

27 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Totally agree. 

Vedral?

SMothers- season 2 to 3

I believe he is MUCH better this year than year one.  I also believe that he regressed some in year two.  I also believe that a major portion of that was caused by talent around him and not being healthy.

With those two major issues, it's very difficult to tell, as a fan, if he regressed due to lack of coaching.

Luke was Luke and he was never and will never be a good QB.

With that, again, no way to tell how Smothers or Haarberg is going to turn out.  I do know that these coaches were successful elsewhere coaching QBs.

You have made it very clear that you think our QB coaching sucks.  I knew that when I made the comment.  I don't agree.

Do you believe there are other issues that can cause a QB to not progress as we would hope other than coaching?

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I believe he is MUCH better this year than year one.  I also believe that he regressed some in year two.  I also believe that a major portion of that was caused by talent around him and not being healthy.

With those two major issues, it's very difficult to tell, as a fan, if he regressed due to lack of coaching.

Luke was Luke and he was never and will never be a good QB.

With that, again, no way to tell how Smothers or Haarberg is going to turn out.  I do know that these coaches were successful elsewhere coaching QBs.

You have made it very clear that you think our QB coaching sucks.  I knew that when I made the comment.  I don't agree.

Do you believe there are other issues that can cause a QB to not progress as we would hope other than coaching?

Of course there are other reasons- but when you measure progress did you really see a technically better, decisive and more savy QB in year 2 than in year 1 with AM? Year 2 and year 3?

Good QB coaches should be able to make serviceable QBs out of the kids THEY decided they WANTED right? Coach V- is absolutely involved in evaluating, recruiting AND coaching QBs. He struck out with Luke in regards to that. Same with Vedral. As far as I see- he is 0-3 here at NU. Based on that I have little confidence our young QBs will progress much under his tutelage. 

And yes it is the position coaches job to be the "mind coach" for the players he is coaching. Does the melt downs late in games come from an upstairs issue with AM? The numbers are just insane when you look at them. Cant score on the last drive to win/tie, can't close games out. Coach V is supposed to be this QB whisperer- I just don't see it. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I remember before Ganz was the starter, a lot of Husker fans never thought he would amount to much either.

I completely agree with you.  Smothers has not really been given enough PT to judge what he is capable of and the same goes for Haarberg.  We also do not know if either of these guys are closers and can come through in the clutch...something Martinez has been unable to do.  

• Plus1 1