Frost needs fired

4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Of course there are other reasons- but when you measure progress did you really see a technically better, decisive and more savy QB in year 2 than in year 1 with AM? Year 2 and year 3?

Were the WRs running the right routes?  Were they in the position they should have been?

Do you think that could make a QB hesitant or questioning to throw it or not?

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Were the WRs running the right routes?  Were they in the position they should have been?

You cant blame all of AMs problems on a few routes that were run wrong. Plenty of routes run correctly and receivers open- he couldn't even throw a simple swing pass- overthrew wide open medium depth receivers, missed wide open guys, threw into double coverage, led the nation in fumbles, failed to take easy first downs with open green instead holding onto the ball- to get sacked- it's a long list. Not all on his receivers. It is what it is. Hes playing better in his 4th year, but when you combine his progress with the lack of progress with our other QBs- that just doesn't give most people confidence in the QB coaches ability. 

Just now, Nebraska55fan said:

You cant blame all of AMs problems on a few routes that were run wrong. Plenty of routes run correctly and receivers open- he couldn't even throw a simple swing pass- overthrew wide open medium depth receivers, missed wide open guys, threw into double coverage, led the nation in fumbles, failed to take easy first downs with open green instead holding onto the ball- to get sacked- it's a long list. Not all on his receivers. It is what it is. Hess playing better in his 4th year, but when you combine his progress with the lack of progress with our other QBs- that just doesn't give most people confidence in the QB coaches ability. 

And, his shoulder injury couldn't have anything to do with this.

And..."a few routes..." is a nice way of down playing the problem.  If he can't trust them to run the right route, he's still going to be hesitant throwing the ball assuming they are going to run it correctly.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Nebraska55fan said:

And how does that affect our selection of Luke as our only QB recruit in his class? His lack of development?

Same for Vedral?

Most QBs are going to be injured at some point in their college careers. It's football. 

Luke was a chance taken that didn't work out.  That happens to every coaching staff known to man.  Vedral was developed as far as he was going to go.

Let me ask you this.  Why is Martinez so much better this year than last year?

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, his shoulder injury couldn't have anything to do with this.

And..."a few routes..." is a nice way of down playing the problem.  If he can't trust them to run the right route, he's still going to be hesitant throwing the ball assuming they are going to run it correctly.

You cant put everything on his receivers- but sure go ahead. 

Again- how does that affect him being able to throw a simple swing pass, overthrow wide open medium depth routes- CHOOSE to throw into double coverage, lead the nation in fumbles?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Luke was a chance taken that didn't work out.  That happens to every coaching staff known to man.  Vedral was developed as far as he was going to go.

I personally think the play calling overall has been better this year and it has played to Martinez's strengths as a mobile QB. The 2 exceptions were the Illinois game and the first half of the Michigan game where the play calling sucked and did not get Martinez on the move.  

Part of the reason Martinez did better his first season is that he was playing on instinct and naturally was moving more. It feels like he was coached to stay in the pocket in seasons 2 and 3 and he did not seem comfortable.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So- they made a mistake choosing Luke- which was an evaluation mistake- on Coach V. He chose wrong and or couldn't coach him up

Looks like the very same thing happened to Vedral  0-2. 

Let me ask you this- Why do you think he missed on those other than "it didn't work out"?

Let me ask you this- Why do you think Martinez has chocked so badly late in games?

Martinez has certainly been more decisive, he has chosen not to throw into double coverage and has been somewhat more safe (not safe enough) with the ball. Seems like he isn't as late to run as in the last 2 seasons. He has a legit deep threat of course with Toure- but the RBs are really not significantly better than in years past. One would hope that any QB in the same system for 4 years would make progress. 

1 minute ago, Nebraska55fan said:

So- they made a mistake choosing Luke- which was an evaluation mistake- on Coach V. He chose wrong and or couldn't coach him up

Looks like the very same thing happened to Vedral  0-2. 

Let me ask you this- Why do you think he missed on those other than "it didn't work out"?

Let me ask you this- Why do you think Martinez has chocked so badly late in games?

Martinez has certainly been more decisive, he has chosen not to throw into double coverage and has been somewhat more safe (not safe enough) with the ball. Seems like he isn't as late to run as in the last 2 seasons. He has a legit deep threat of course with Toure- but the RBs are really not significantly better than in years past. One would hope that any QB in the same system for 4 years would make progress. 

I get it....I said early on in this conversation.  You think our QB coaching sucks.  I don't agree.

6 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I personally think the play calling overall has been better this year and it has played to Martinez's strengths as a mobile QB. The 2 exceptions were the Illinois game and the first half of the Michigan game where the play calling sucked and did not get Martinez on the move.  

Nope- the Michigan game they ran all those inside zone- inside zone read plays- for little gain- to set up the ONE nice play action throw to Allen for the TD and the Martinez keeper.  IN College football to set a team up- you don't run the set up run play 2-3 times- you throw away 10-15 of them :D

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would say a few factors:

Healthier

Better OL

Better receivers

IMHO, he is playing better than the previous 2 years......Still misses seeing open guys.  I think this is a result of feeling pressure and realizing unless he plans to read and rip, he can get through 2 progressions at the most.  When he has time in the pocket and not feeling pressured, he does great.  Looks all world.  If our record was 5-2 or better, unsure if we have this discussion.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That seems to be "downplaying the problem" of poor decision making, fumbles, throwing into double coverage, not hitting simple swing passes etc