Michigan State Post-Game Presser

Mavric

37 minutes ago, Husker4Real said:

I’m in no way saying the Oline was good.  However, they did enough to win the game. 

I am so sick of seeing this BS. I don’t know if it is just you posting it multiple times or if there are some others around here with the same wrong thoughts. The offense did NOT do enough to win the game. It is doubley wrong to say the OL did enough to win. 20 points, or the 16 last week vs OU, is not enough. The offense is not pulling their weight. We can’t and shouldn’t expect the defense to shoulder the full burden of winning games. 20 points is not going to win many games, evidenced by our current record and the fact that we lost to Illinois with 22, OU with 16 and MSU with 20. THAT IS NOT ENOUGH so quit spouting nonsense.

It can also be true that our special teams are constantly costing us victories and are an even bigger concern. But the offense is not getting the job done. Way too many stupid penalties, too many turnovers, abysmal in the red zone and folding like a cheap suit at the worst possible times. Please just stop.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I am so sick of seeing this BS. I don’t know if it is just you posting it multiple times or if there are some others around here with the same wrong thoughts. The offense did NOT do enough to win the game. 20 points, or the 16 last week vs OU, is not enough. The offense is not pulling their weight. We can’t and shouldn’t expect the defense to shoulder the full burden of winning games. 20 points is not going to win many games, evidenced by our current record and the fact that we lost to Illinois with 22, OU with 16 and MSU with 20. THAT IS NOT ENOUGH so quit spouting nonsense.

It can also be true that our special teams are constantly costing us victories and are an even bigger concern. But the offense is not getting the job done. Way too many stupid penalties, too many turnovers, abysmal in the red zone and folding like a cheap suit at the worst possible times. Please just stop.

but if our special teams were as good as our offense.......i dare say we have another win or 2 right now.   and i am not saying our offense is great.     they are just much better than the special teams have been.    i would give our defense a grade of A....offense......perhaps a C.....special teams?   F

1 minute ago, commando said:

but if our special teams were as good as our offense.......i dare say we have another win or 2 right now.   and i am not saying our offense is great.     they are just much better than the special teams have been.    i would give our defense a grade of A....offense......perhaps a C.....special teams?   F

Fine. Just don’t perpetuate the nonsense that the offense is doing enough. All evidence indicates they are not. Look at how many more games we would have won with just one more score from the offense in all of Frost’s losses. It’s amazing.

Yes, our special teams is as bad as any team ever in the history of the sport. Completely unacceptable and the true culprit in so many of our losses. But the offense can and should be so much better. The D can’t be the only side of the ball helping to cover up for our disgustingly bad ST play.

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

What an incredibly stupid question to JoJo. What more could the D have done in the 2nd half? 

They're trying to get him to throw somebody under the bus. He's not that kind of person, and nobody on this team is either, thank god.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Fine. Just don’t perpetuate the nonsense that the offense is doing enough. All evidence indicates they are not. Look at how many more games we would have won with just one more score from the offense in all of Frost’s losses. It’s amazing.

Yes, our special teams is as bad as any team ever in the history of the sport. Completely unacceptable and the true culprit in so many of our losses. But the offense can and should be so much better. The D can’t be the only side of the ball helping to cover up for our disgustingly bad ST play.

Maybe not doing enough, but they're slowly improving. I said at the beginning of the year they need to score 4 TDs a game for us to be in it to win it. We just need to close things out in the RedZone, and we're there. To me a field goal is a loss inside the 20. We need to figure out how to cut down on the sacks.

26 first downs and 442 yards of offense in a game like this is not too shabby. All night it felt like Rahmir was close to busting one loose. We just need to find chunk plays in the running game and we'll be a completely different team.

This game has me feeling really good about this team. We have a legitimate chance to win every remaining game on our schedule this year. Gotta find a way.

• Plus1 3
58 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Maybe not doing enough, but they're slowly improving. I said at the beginning of the year they need to score 4 TDs a game for us to be in it to win it. We just need to close things out in the RedZone, and we're there. To me a field goal is a loss inside the 20. We need to figure out how to cut down on the sacks.

26 first downs and 442 yards of offense in a game like this is not too shabby. All night it felt like Rahmir was close to busting one loose. We just need to find chunk plays in the running game and we'll be a completely different team.

This game has me feeling really good about this team. We have a legitimate chance to win every remaining game on our schedule this year. Gotta find a way.

Stats look good. Adrian looks good (most of the time). We’ve improved at RB and WR and we’re actually starting to utilize TEs. Heck even certain aspects of OL play is improving. But none of that matters if they can’t find a way to the other side of the slash mark separating Ls from Ws. Penalties and special teams have been, are and will keep this team from winning. The offense has to find a way to get more than 20ish points on the board. Has to, because ST and stupid penalties are showing no signs if improving and the D is doing all (more) than we can expect it to.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Stats look good. Adrian looks good (most of the time). We’ve improved at RB and WR and we’re actually starting to utilize TEs. Heck even certain aspects of OL play is improving. But none of that matters if they can’t find a way to the other side of the slash mark separating Ls from Ws. Penalties and special teams have been, are and will keep this team from winning. The offense has to find a way to get more than 20ish points on the board. Has to, because ST and stupid penalties are showing no signs if improving and the D is doing all (more) than we can expect it to.

Agreed. I'm sticking with 4 offensive TDs per game are needed.

• Plus1 1

It's hilarious that this week, Culp hits both of his field goals...and then it's both punt units that wind up ruining our chances.

The fact that special teams have been costing us two wins per year since 2019 and it hasn't gotten completely turned around is legitimately pathetic, in my opinion. Seriously unreal that we punted to the wrong side of the field.

19 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Does frost really think the team just needs to get sick of losing and everything will be ok? The players are already sick of losing the defense is playing their a$$ off and Martinez has always played hard. 

It comes down to a few players making bad choices at all the worst times.  Like a punter who can't get left and right understood.  Or defensive player who throws a quarterback to the ground after the play is done and the whistle is blown.  It doesn't take an entire team to lose a game.  Just a few select players and all the wrong times not keeping their head in the game.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

It's hilarious that this week, Culp hits both of his field goals...and then it's both punt units that wind up ruining our chances.

The fact that special teams have been costing us two wins per year since 2019 and it hasn't gotten completely turned around is legitimately pathetic, in my opinion. Seriously unreal that we punted to the wrong side of the field.

12 Wins in 4 years so far. So that's 3 wins per year and we've only played 5 games this season as of today. 

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Terrabus said:

It comes down to a few players making bad choices at all the worst times.  Like a punter who can't get left and right understood.  Or defensive player who throws a quarterback to the ground after the play is done and the whistle is blown.  It doesn't take an entire team to lose a game.  Just a few select players and all the wrong times not keeping their head in the game.  

Most close games come down to a handful of plays. Thats always the case in football.  Interestingly enough most of the teams that we lose to in these situations aren't making the same mistakes or a similar number of like mistakes. It's systemic- the "no fear of failure" culture taken to the extreme. And remember that statistically over the last 4 years we are near the bottom in winning the turnover battle, special teams effectiveness, penalties. So its not an unlucky break- its cultural- systemic. 

I did see Coach Frost jawing a bit at one of our Olinemen after an offsides so he may be coming off that a bit one would hope. 

It's interesting the punting and kicking issues. I like to watch a variety of High School football games- lots of Class B games. Nearly every week I seem to be able to see punters who are kicking well and kickers hitting it to the endzone. 

A few weeks back I went to watch a neighbors youth game- he coaches, has a son on the team- been bugging me to come. At halftime some kids were out on the field throwing and kicking. Maybe 15-16 year olds. Punting high 40 yard kicks, making lots of field goals. I just don't get why we struggle so much with this.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

What happens next year when we lose all of our super seniors on D?   The anemic offense and the terrible ST work is partially covered up by very good D play that keeps us in the games.  

Great point.  That said, I contend that our problems are structural in nature, not tactical or personnel.  For 4 seasons, we have consistently found creative new ways to lose football games, regardless of the opponent or personnel.  Arguing about which position (individual or group) is at fault for our latest loss is a bit like shouting at the rain, pointless.

This year, the defense is improved, but that will change next year as you rightly point out.  Next year, the blame for losses will pivot to the defensive unit with a 5th Year Senior QB and more experienced OL personnel.

Ultimately, one individual, making a $5 million annual salary is responsible, and he is seemingly unable to correct the mindset of this team, and this program. Fundamentally, it is a program that simply knows better how to lose than to win.   Is that the result of being comfortable in that role, or simply having anxiety anytime we are having success?  At some point, I am confident that someone will come along and re-ignite this proud program.    

• Plus1 3