What should I do next weekend?

RedSavage

51 minutes ago, Big Red Viking said:

Glad I never had to share a foxhole with most of you soft whiners.  I'll let you back on the band wagon when Scott takes the fight to Fitz.

Saddest story i ever heard.  My uncle died in vietnam, was given all the praise from my grandma growing up on how he helped provide cover fire while his platoon tried to make it to safety, he was killed in action. Latter when attempting to do a story about it for a high school paper i found out from members of his platoon that shared a foxhole with him that wasnt the case.  He ran out of the fox hole out of his mind and got himself killed.   I will never attempt to know what it was like to be 19 and be in that situation.  We honor his memory because he was a good man and he did have a kind heart.  Just was to much for him i guess.  We never told my grandma it would of broke her heart.  Whenever someone mentions vietnam or a foxhole i always think him. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 4
21 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I don’t know what else to do on a Saturday when Nebraska football is on but one thing is for sure, unless these coaches and team have a come to Jesus moment in the next few weeks, I won’t watch another game the rest of this year.  Maybe I’ll work on my house?  Maybe I’ll stare at a wall?  It all sounds so good compared to not watching this s#!t show anymore.  Confusing times.  How would/will you spend your Saturday?  Or would you rather continue living actual hell?

Finally, it is great to see other fans moving in the right direction.  Red, welcome to the club.  I officially detoxed from Husker live football in September, 2019 (post-CU meltdown in Boulder).  At first it was awkward, but my weekends are far more enjoyable now.  I actually took up landscaping and work outside on projects during the games to avoid the pull of any game action.

As a fan for 35 years, I found that the games had lost all enjoyment and the results were becoming a drag on my attitude.  Cutting the cord is definitely the right decision.  Enjoy.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Saturday was a tough ending.  I understand the reactions from many.  That said, I'm actually encouraged.  I haven't seen our defense look like that in a long time.  At minimum, that side of the ball deserves the full support of husker nation imo.  Doing the black shirt tradition proud.  

• Plus1 4

I’m tuning in to the game to watch Anti-Crouch choke at the crucial time. Who knows, maybe they’ll call in retired Coach Solich to put together some semblance of a running game? Seems like we have a ton of talent on offense combined with some special needs players. I would’ve had a passing tryout long ago.

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Finally, it is great to see other fans moving in the right direction.  Red, welcome to the club.  I officially detoxed from Husker live football in September, 2019 (post-CU meltdown in Boulder).  At first it was awkward, but my weekends are far more enjoyable now.  I actually took up landscaping and work outside on projects during the games to avoid the pull of any game action.

As a fan for 35 years, I found that the games had lost all enjoyment and the results were becoming a drag on my attitude.  Cutting the cord is definitely the right decision.  Enjoy.

I saw the LOL and wanted to remark further.  The real humorous part is the fact that my neighbor is seemingly irritated by all of the landscape work that I am doing now.  Evidently, his wife has commented a time or two.

And to think, if not for Mike Riley and Scott Frost, and a program they know nothing about, none of this would be possible.

12 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I saw the LOL and wanted to remark further.  The real humorous part is the fact that my neighbor is seemingly irritated by all of the landscape work that I am doing now.  Evidently, his wife has commented a time or two.

And to think, if not for Mike Riley and Scott Frost, and a program they know nothing about, none of this would be possible.

I don’t know about your neighbor but I can tell you many of us Husker fans are annoyed that you spend so much time posting on a Husker football site to brag about how much landscaping and yard work you’re doing instead of watching the football team you b!^@h, moan and gripe about. If your time is really freed up, maybe try kicking this habit too. Good luck.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2

14 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

You say you have detoxed from Husker football, but here you are telling us how good you are at landscaping on Saturdays. Maybe cut the cord all together and not be on here as well.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

I can acknowledge that I have been there.  I think I stomached a couple of games last year.  I even turned off any notifications.  When I checked the next day it felt good that it didn't stir me in any way.

I'm sure you will get mocked for a post like this.  I just wanted to identify with that feeling and hope that for you, like me, you can come back and really be a part of something that I know deep down kills you.  In my own recovery journey [from addiction and in my disappointments with this football program], what I came to see what a whole lot of things that really did bother me [and had sorta become "identity" for me].  Today, I'm getting healthier as it relates to following Nebraska football.  For me, a win or a loss with my Big Red really did impact me.  The last 20 years was really tough.  Losing to Texas killed me.  Even recruiting losses killed me [like losing on Breece Hall, losing Wandale and various players like Fant in the past].

As others will note ... I'm having and have my own battles with my emotions with the program.  The thing this season that really helped me was to just follow the live thread during the game [rather than watching].  Folks are always extra negative in that thread during the game.  They expect the worse ... and then get it.  It actually helped me to see although I seem to come across as negative in a post ... I see others really have even more deeper thoughts of negativity and feel free to express it.  In it ... it helped me to see my own "fandom" in a new way and the parts of mm own mind that are unhealthy.  I also recently found out that my three sons [who have cut me out of their life], think I was a real a$$ as their tennis coach.  I really just wanted them to excel in ways I knew I could have been successful if I would have applied what I already knew.  In it all ... I was the Dad that screwed up and probably needed to be more of a cheerleader and just love them as they were.  What I did was focus on the key mistakes.  The home videos are rather telling.  It's embarrassing [my comments and negativity].  Today, I'm going on 4-5 years with no relationship with them.

In all of this ... I can say I'm really enjoying this season.  I watched the last two games and had a blast.  Rather than get frustration, I actually had some compassion.  In the end, I'm finding I'm rooting for Nebraska to persevere and I'm just "hoping" more for the best for the program and for Scott amidst what is obviously a disappointment to me.  I'm of the belief that we can and will be competitive in every game ... for that ... I really am thankful.  We may not turn the corner but still, for me it is entertaining again and something I'm emotionally willing to tolerate.

Enjoy that gardening.  I enjoy that as well.  Connect when you are ready Herbie.  As a fan, I welcome you back when you are ready to join the dance. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
12 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I can acknowledge that I have been there.  I think I stomached a couple of games last year.  I even turned off any notifications.  When I checked the next day it felt good that it didn't stir me in any way.

I'm sure you will get mocked for a post like this.  I just wanted to identify with that feeling and hope that for you, like me, you can come back and really be a part of something that I know deep down kills you.  In my own recovery journey [from addiction and in my disappointments with this football program], what I came to see what a whole lot of things that really did bother me [and had sorta become "identity" for me].  Today, I'm getting healthier as it relates to following Nebraska football.  For me, a win or a loss with my Big Red really did impact me.  The last 20 years was really tough.  Losing to Texas killed me.  Even recruiting losses killed me [like losing on Breece Hall, losing Wandale and various players like Fant in the past].

As others will note ... I'm having and have my own battles with my emotions with the program.  The thing this season that really helped me was to just follow the live thread during the game [rather than watching].  Folks are always extra negative in that thread during the game.  They expect the worse ... and then get it.  It actually helped me to see although I seem to come across as negative in a post ... I see others really have even more deeper thoughts of negativity and feel free to express it.  In it ... it helped me to see my own "fandom" in a new way and the parts of mm own mind that are unhealthy.  I also recently found out that my three sons [who have cut me out of their life], think I was a real a$$ as their tennis coach.  I really just wanted them to excel in ways I knew I could have been successful if I would have applied what I already knew.  In it all ... I was the Dad that screwed up and probably needed to be more of a cheerleader and just love them as they were.  What I did was focus on the key mistakes.  The home videos are rather telling.  It's embarrassing [my comments and negativity].  Today, I'm going on 4-5 years with no relationship with them.

In all of this ... I can say I'm really enjoying this season.  I watched the last two games and had a blast.  Rather than get frustration, I actually had some compassion.  In the end, I'm finding I'm rooting for Nebraska to persevere and I'm just "hoping" more for the best for the program and for Scott amidst what is obviously a disappointment to me.  I'm of the belief that we can and will be competitive in every game ... for that ... I really am thankful.  We may not turn the corner but still, for me it is entertaining again and something I'm emotionally willing to tolerate.

Enjoy that gardening.  I enjoy that as well.  Connect when you are ready Herbie.  As a fan, I welcome you back when you are ready to join the dance. 

tl;dr

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2