Frost Stays

Husker03

I agree with most of that.  We slaughtered MSU in every important category, from yards to first downs.  We beat the crap out of them. 

Our mistakes doomed us, though.  Mistakes trickle down from coaches, either by lack of discipline or lack of supervision or lack of teaching or all three.  With the Husker coaching staff it is all three on the Offensive and Special Teams sides of the coaching staff, in my opinion. 

This stuff would not fly in any conference, but it's the B1G, so it's fatal. 

Trev Alberts needs to lay it on the line for Scott Frost:  Replace the ST and O coaching staff.  D is fine.

• Plus1 2

This will be interesting to see how this plays out. On one hand Nebraska has been a little quick to pull the trigger on some of their coaches over the past twenty years and that is one of the reasons they are in the spot they are now. So it would be good to not do so here after just a few seasons and start over again with yet another coach. At the same time though Frost really is proving to not be a very dependable Power 5 coach. He is getting to the point to where the vast majority of his roster are his recruits yet they are still making many of the same mistakes that they did in year 1. He has a terrible record vs ranked opponents and a bad record in one score games. I say give him one more year and if he they still don't have a decent record in the W-L column then it is probably time to part ways. That would give him a full five seasons of recruiting and that point if the program hasn't shown significant improvement it probably never will under his leadership.

When it all comes down to it though this was probably just a poor decision on Nebraska's end to make this guy their head coach in the first place. He was a head coach for a grand total of two years prior to coming to Nebraska in a non power 5 conference in the state of Florida. It's far easier to find recruits to compete at the level you want to compete at in Florida then it is in Nebraska. Plus he had a really good qb during his time at Central Florida who went to Central Florida not so much because of Scott Frost but because he was the offensive coordinator at the same school Marcus Marioti went to ( a player Milton idolized growing up). 

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, EngineeringHusker said:

Not sure when he's shown this. Unless hiring an analyst who was terrible, and then giving the duties to someone already on staff, who has made things even worse somehow counts as fixing.

He fixes things that are glaring problems. Honestly, one of the only coaches during this failed 20 year experience that I can say has been willing to look at things that aren't working and change them.  He DID attempt to fix the special teams problems by doing  exactly what you stated. Now, certainly in hindsight we can say that it wasn't enough but it is not that he ignored the issue. He just didn't find the right solution yet. I have no doubts that he will make changes in that area again this offseason because he has shown over and over again that he is not afraid to do so and will do so when necessary.  Again, the guy isn't perfect but he deserves credit for not being so stubborn or blind or scared to change.

• Haha 5

Year 4 same mistakes.  I said in another thread I can care less about "how we looked" or what playstation stats we had....We lost.  And continue to do so. We have been in these games in spite of our inept offense and coaching decisions because of the defense.  Chin has been coaching since 2018 like his job depended on it.  And it shows.

NU currently sits at 105 in Red Zone production...The one area Frost was known for (offense) is the weak link.  I could see NU trying to save face and give him the Solich option with a list of coaches who need to go.  Sooner than later.  No way he stays, or should, if the offensive staff remains.  I'd also put the caveat that he hires guys who are proven at developing guys and knows the B1G.   

Chin is building a D that can be dominant.  Built to stop B1G teams.  It has taken 4 years (and still improving).  The O, particularly OL and RB continues to disappoint.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I think back about how excited folks were that Scott might come home (Remember the Frost Mega Thread?) He inherited a huge dumpster fire of a situation but slowly he has made changes not as quickly as we would like but nonetheless he HAS made improvements. 
Fire Scott? Uh NO. Not a wise move. 

If he has made improvements, why does the team continue to lose in the most mind-boggling ways?  It's been that way for 3 1/2 seasons. That's on him, I don't think he has a way to fix that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

We didn’t hire Frost to give us slight improvement over the Riley/Diaco Disaster. Sure this years team is better than Riley’s last team but that’s such a low bar. Still have yet to finish top 4 in our division. Lost to a first year coach at Illinois and a 2nd year coach at MSU. Still time this season to show some real progress this year, but following up Riley’s 5th place finish in the west with 4 straight 5th place or worse finishes is just spinning our wheels relative to our peers. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I think back about how excited folks were that Scott might come home (Remember the Frost Mega Thread?) He inherited a huge dumpster fire of a situation but slowly he has made changes not as quickly as we would like but nonetheless he HAS made improvements. 
Fire Scott? Uh NO. Not a wise move. 

Has he..??  this offense is the same ol tired offense it was 4 yrs ago...  the defense has made MANY strides...  are we sure that is just not Chins ability to make the proper changes..??  This is Scott Frost's offense and he holds it with an iron glove...  He hired an O-coordinator so he could keep an eye on the entire process and this year was suppose to let lubick call the plays but has yet to relinquish his hold...  I think the best thing for frost to do is take a step back..   JMO

• Plus1 2

He has made improvements, that is a fact, the defense is very good. But he also has done some not good things like ST and the offensive line.

Anyone saying it takes 4 years to install a culture, and this was a dumpster fire etc. just isn't living in reality. It doesn't take a good coach that long, no matter the situation.  Look at Arkansas right now. They went 2-10 in both 2018 and 2019, and a second year coach has them close to the top 10, and 4-0 with two ranked wins already.  They recruit worse than we do every year. They bought into his culture DURING covid which folks here love to use as an excuse. It can be done people.  Everything folks are using to defend Frost is just an excuse.

Should we fire him? Probably not, give him more time with coaching changes as he has improved certain areas of the team.  Just stop with the excuses for the guy however, it's so tired.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If he has made improvements, why does the team continue to lose in the most mind-boggling ways?  It's been that way for 3 1/2 seasons. That's on him, I don't think he has a way to fix that. 

If you can't see improvements, go ahead and ask for his head.  Put us back at square one.  If not for special teams errors - we need changes and improvement there - notably the 7 yard punt and the punt left when coverage was for right - we get a different outcome.  Right now we look better than we have for many years - have some faith that Frost keeps improving.

You Debbie Downers really should think before you post this stuff - "mind-boggling ways?"  You really think we are where we were 3 1/2 seasons ago"?

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2

I was critical of Frost early on in his tenure for running clock to get to the next period when we had plenty of time to try to go get points on the board.  Guess what he did last night?  Precisely that.  It was an idiotic strategy that didn't work out 4 years ago and it's still an idiot strategy that doesn't work out.

If you think you see an improvement it's because the defense has improved.   Credit to Chinander there, not so much Frost.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, River-runner said:

If you can't see improvements, go ahead and ask for his head.  Put us back at square one.  If not for special teams errors - we need changes and improvement there - notably the 7 yard punt and the punt left when coverage was for right - we get a different outcome.  Right now we look better than we have for many years - have some faith that Frost keeps improving.

You Debbie Downers really should think before you post this stuff - "mind-boggling ways?"  You really think we are where we were 3 1/2 seasons ago"?

There are improvements in a number of things, but there isn't improvement in the only thing that matters, wins and losses. Frost isn't improving and frankly I'm getting tired of waiting on for him to improve. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1