Frost Stays

Husker03

22 minutes ago, River-runner said:

If you can't see improvements, go ahead and ask for his head.  Put us back at square one.  If not for special teams errors - we need changes and improvement there - notably the 7 yard punt and the punt left when coverage was for right - we get a different outcome.  Right now we look better than we have for many years - have some faith that Frost keeps improving.

You Debbie Downers really should think before you post this stuff - "mind-boggling ways?"  You really think we are where we were 3 1/2 seasons ago"?

The only improvement I have seen is on defense. 

Period.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

We didn’t hire Frost to give us slight improvement over the Riley/Diaco Disaster. Sure this years team is better than Riley’s last team but that’s such a low bar. Still have yet to finish top 4 in our division. Lost to a first year coach at Illinois and a 2nd year coach at MSU. Still time this season to show some real progress this year, but following up Riley’s 5th place finish in the west with 4 straight 5th place or worse finishes is just spinning our wheels relative to our peers. 

You nailed it. Frost was hired to win division or conference titles by Year 4. Some have lowered their standards so much that finishing 6-6 or 7-5 is like a major milestone. I want to let Frost finish out this season, but the bar should be a winning season for him to keep his job. 

I am curious if Nebraska had hired rising star Tom Herman (instead of Frost) and his record was 14-23 in his 4th year, would those claiming Frost needs more time feel the same about Herman? 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You nailed it. Frost was hired to win division or conference titles by Year 4.

False. He was hired to turn the program around. Many signs indicate he is doing so.  We cut bait now we are just giving another program the winner we have been patiently training. Let's not do that. Let's ride with our guy and reap the rewards that are coming in 2021 and beyond until 2050. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
40 minutes ago, River-runner said:

If you can't see improvements, go ahead and ask for his head.  Put us back at square one.  If not for special teams errors - we need changes and improvement there - notably the 7 yard punt and the punt left when coverage was for right - we get a different outcome.  Right now we look better than we have for many years - have some faith that Frost keeps improving.

You Debbie Downers really should think before you post this stuff - "mind-boggling ways?"  You really think we are where we were 3 1/2 seasons ago"?

On what planet would firing Frost put us back at square one?  You do realize the defense is playing great IN SPITE OF THE OFFENSE RIGHT?  If Frost were let go, the team just wouldn't resort back to Riley era levels.  The new coach would build with the existing players.  I mean, this is so simple.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There's a few things missing from a lot of the discussion of whether or not to fire Frost.

1. The season isn't even half way done, so we don't know how it's going to turn out.
  2. What happens with recruiting and perhaps more importantly the transfer portal?
  3. The risk vs reward of what the next coach will accomplish.

I think it's premature to want to fire Frost before we've finished the season, let alone not yet eliminated from winning the div/conf no matter how unlikely that appears to be. Also, we've been bad for a while now - we're a bad program. I think it goes beyond the HC, and I have no idea what we need to do to fix it, but I don't think getting a new HC is going to be some quick fix - that guy will need 4-5 years too.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

On what planet would firing Frost put us back at square one?  You do realize the defense is playing great IN SPITE OF THE OFFENSE RIGHT?  If Frost were let go, the team just wouldn't resort back to Riley era levels.  The new coach would build with the existing players.  I mean, this is so simple.  

I mean, that's what we hope would happen if we got a new HC, but there's no way to actually know that. What if a ton of players transfer away, for example? What if the coaching search took a long time and recruiting was decimated? What if the next guy sucks as much or worse? There's no certainty in keeping or firing Frost no matter how much we might think one way will turn out or at least be better.

8 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

False. He was hired to turn the program around. Many signs indicate he is doing so.  We cut bait now we are just giving another program the winner we have been patiently training. Let's not do that. Let's ride with our guy and reap the rewards that are coming in 2021 and beyond until 2050. 

I sincerely hope you're right, but can you give any specific evidence showing the signs that Frost is really turning the program around? We're staring down the barrel of another 4-win season, which is no change from '18. 

• Plus1 5
14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I mean, that's what we hope would happen if we got a new HC, but there's no way to actually know that. What if a ton of players transfer away, for example? What if the coaching search took a long time and recruiting was decimated? What if the next guy sucks as much or worse? There's no certainty in keeping or firing Frost no matter how much we might think one way will turn out or at least be better.

Everything you said is true but recruiting is already going to be a mid 50s or worse class this year. With a tiny class this would be the year to make a change from that one perspective.  Maybe a bunch of kids transfer but anyone on the team currently can agree 4 straight losing seasons is a fireable offsense.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I sincerely hope you're right, but can you give any specific evidence showing the signs that Frost is really turning the program around? We're staring down the barrel of another 4-win season, which is no change from '18. 

They will point to the defense which is fine and dandy but the excuse next year will be all the new pieces on defense and most likely breaking in a new QB etc. Rinse and repeat. 4 years is more than any coach is practically given to win more games than they lose. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Many signs indicate he is doing so. 

How? He has a .321 winning percentage in the B1G. That’s worse than Riley’s worst season at Nebraska. Sure it looks better than when Riley was a deadman walking, working with a DC he didn’t want to hire. If he makes a bowl this year that’s tangible progress. If we’re sitting at 5-7 or 4-8 and 5th in our division once again, it will show we’ve made up virtually no ground since he’s been hired - literally sitting where we have every year since Riley’s last season.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Everything you said is true but recruiting is already going to be a mid 50s or worse class this year.

We don't know that. It's a bizarre year for recruiting because of the extra year of eligibility but not an increase in recruiting class size.

With a tiny class this would be the year to make a change from that one perspective.

Good point. But it also means having a poorly ranked class would have less of an effect too.

Maybe a bunch of kids transfer but anyone on the team currently can agree 4 straight losing seasons is a fireable offsense.

If we just want to fire Frost for past performance, then I'm against that as being stupid and vindictive. We can fire him or any HC for a variety of reasons, but the question of Frost isn't about off-the-field stuff, it's about performance. So can Frost be better in the future? Hard to say, but it's more complicated than just looking at past performance.

So, the thing is, this is probably how year one or maybe year two should have looked.  A tough team that fights hard that makes some mistakes but has chances to win the games at the end.

Year four should be NU sitting at 4-1 right now, maybe 5-0, looking at the division and pretty much having it wrapped up already with how crappy all the other teams are, knowing they just need to beat a lame a$$ iowa team at home (I think) at the end of the season.

The east is down this year so it would probably be a great Big Ten Title game.

But instead, we are creating threads about how Frost should stay.

If his name was Bob Schmeckie and he was from Florida and played at Truman State...he would have been gone already.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You nailed it. Frost was hired to win division or conference titles by Year 4. Some have lowered their standards so much that finishing 6-6 or 7-5 is like a major milestone. I want to let Frost finish out this season, but the bar should be a winning season for him to keep his job. 

I am curious if Nebraska had hired rising star Tom Herman (instead of Frost) and his record was 14-23 in his 4th year, would those claiming Frost needs more time feel the same about Herman? 

Of course Frost has a longer leash than any other coach would.  Not exactly a news flash......