Frost Stays

Husker03

16 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Firing Frost would set us back? Back to what? Missing bowl games? Finishing unranked? Being out of conference championship talk after 2 conference games? He is staring directly at the worst win % of any head football coach at NU. Our defense loses both safeties, MLB depth, Stille, domann, possibly CTB. This should be the year that things click. 4 years to recruit to your system, 4 years to identify and fix deficiencies etc. Why didn't Riley get 5 years to fix the Pelini culture? Why didn't Callahan get more time to install his system and make more changes? Let's be honest if our HC wasn't named Scott Frost every single one of you would be calling for his head. It really is that simple. 

Pelini's culture was bad?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So, the thing is, this is probably how year one or maybe year two should have looked.  A tough team that fights hard that makes some mistakes but has chances to win the games at the end.

Year four should be NU sitting at 4-1 right now, maybe 5-0, looking at the division and pretty much having it wrapped up already with how crappy all the other teams are, knowing they just need to beat a lame a$$ iowa team at home (I think) at the end of the season.

The east is down this year so it would probably be a great Big Ten Title game.

But instead, we are creating threads about how Frost should stay.

If his name was Bob Schmeckie and he was from Florida and played at Truman State...he would have been gone already.

Everyone that is defending Frost is doing so because he is Scott Frost not because of the results on the field. You nailed that one 

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Pelini's culture was bad?

You don't remember that clamoring for his team vs fans, us vs them mentality? That was common speak everywhere. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Of course Frost has a longer leash than any other coach would.  Not exactly a news flash......

Why should Frost get an extra long leash. In reality any other guy without ties to Nebraska likely would have been gone after year 3.  This native son mentality is clouding what normally would be objective minds about the reality of the 14-23 record which is the worst for any Nebraska coach since the 1950s. 

• Thanks 1

The idea that they could not get "anyone" to take the job is wrong.

The idea that the next guy could be worse is certainly true.

The next guy could also be the coach we hoped Frost was going to be.

He is out there, a good coach that would be happy to take the job is out there.  

With the transfer portal the days of 4-5 year rebuilds are long gone.  You can flip your roster in 1 season.

• Plus1 4

I honestly do not want to start all over again. I want Frost to succeed at Nebraska but he has taken ZERO steps to fix the special teams, undisciplined play, and OL horrid play. As a result, we have lost many excellent players through the transfer portal. No player wants to lose a closely contested game because we can’t punt, kick field goals, or simply field the football for a good field position. How disappointed would you be if you were on defense? You played your heart out and you lose because the punter punts directly to the most dangerous player on the opposing team. 
Frost has witnessed this ugly movie play out for four years but he seems unable to fix it. Why? If he does not know how to fix this then hire assistant coaches that can help you. Fire Austin and get a coach that can work with OL. Hire a dedicated special teams coach to come and work with the players and help them improve. Even if it means he takes a pay cut to help pay for an outstanding special teams coach. Do something to show you care about fixing the team’s weaknesses. Instead, he is expecting players to fix themselves. If players could do that then they would not need coaches. 
I am sure a lot of fans want Frost to succeed, myself included, but that is NOT going to happen if Frost does not take some immediate action and make some much needed coaching changes. If he refuses, then he can only blame himself if he gets fired because everyone is tired of this s#!tshow where we dominate our opponent and then lose to them. Moral victories are overrated. We need victories. Period.

9 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I want Frost to succeed at Nebraska but he has taken ZERO steps to fix the special teams, undisciplined play, and OL horrid play. 

False.  Cam's snaps are not a conversation anymore, we don't have lineman falling down presnap w/ no contact, we have recruited large bodies to fit in the Big10 on the line, he brought in special teams analyst, etc. Again, you can argue they haven't been the perfect steps but you can't argue that he has not taken steps.

12 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

As a result, we have lost many excellent players through the transfer portal.

False. We have lost maybe 1 excellent player and brought in about 5.  This isn't a hill you want to die on, as Frost is actually borderline masterful at the portal game so far.

13 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Frost has witnessed this ugly movie play out for four years but he seems unable to fix it. Why? If he does not know how to fix this then hire assistant coaches that can help you. Fire Austin and get a coach that can work with OL. Hire a dedicated special teams coach to come and work with the players and help them improve. Even if it means he takes a pay cut to help pay for an outstanding special teams coach. Do something to show you care about fixing the team’s weaknesses.

False. He has taken steps and made staff changes EVERY off season to try to fix it. You don't want to see it because it is easier to just throw a fit and stamp you feet and say, "This isn't perfect," but there was ALOT broken here. And we finally have a program after 10+ years that we can be proud of. They are doing things the right way. Strength, conditioning, culture, attitude, out of the newpapers, working, building, etc. Maybe you forget the days where we got Melvin Gordon'd by teams much worse than we play this year routinely, but I don't and I can take what I see right now 1000 times over before I watch that "give up" culture again.

17 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

We need victories.

They start next week.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 4
56 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

You don't remember that clamoring for his team vs fans, us vs them mentality? That was common speak everywhere. 

If you want to solely blame Pelini for that mentality, ok. Most would say that was a byproduct of zero admin support, local media with vendettas (Dirk especially) and very little appreciation given for the accomplishments Pelini was able to achieve in his seven years between the Big 12 and Big 10. Yes, I remember the annual embarrassment game. That said, we did win our division in 3 of his 7 years.

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Everyone that is defending Frost is doing so because he is Scott Frost not because of the results on the field. You nailed that one 

I remember you were aware of what Perlman was up to 

So you are happy with Greg Austin and Dawson? I would believe what you are saying if it didn’t translate to us losing games the same exact way week in week out. According to your rationale, nothing needs to change..we just rely on miracles to help fix the OL and the special teams…I really hope there are not a lot of fans with similar delusions.

• Haha 1

Frost has got to hire a special teams coach and he has to move on from Austin. Do whatever is needed to get a top level OL coach.

As far as OC goes, I think hiring a banker was a mistake from the beginning, but we just made an OC change and I thought our last OC was better. 

Unless Alberts has the next guy already in mind and he’s a for sure good coach, I think Frost gets one more year but will have to make changes. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Hell even year 2. 

No doubt.  With his vaunted offensive resume, I truly thought we'd see the O carrying the defense.  I thought I would see improvement year to year. Yes AM holds every record (he is also a 4 year starter).  Yes we put up Madden like numbers at times, but he wasn't hired to set statistical records at NU.  He was hired to get us wins. Plain and simple.  And that ain't happening.

I watched the presser with JoJo and Nelson.  No idea how they kept their composure and didn't rip the OL a new a hole.  

Sometimes I wonder if we are that broken that four years in we are still work in progress. Greg Schiano seems to have Rutgers turned around in two years. They competed with Michigan in the big house with our ex-QB. Either we were really broken or Frost is not really sure who to fix things and he is just hoping to figure things with time. His press conference seems to indicate that he believes that Austin and Dawson are doing OK but it is the players fault. So, is he even considering changes? The sad fact is that if we even had an AVERAGE special teams, we would be 4-1 this season. 

15 minutes ago, lo country said:

No doubt.  With his vaunted offensive resume, I truly thought we'd see the O carrying the defense.  I thought I would see improvement year to year. Yes AM holds every record (he is also a 4 year starter).  Yes we put up Madden like numbers at times, but he wasn't hired to set statistical records at NU.  He was hired to get us wins. Plain and simple.  And that ain't happening.

I watched the presser with JoJo and Nelson.  No idea how they kept their composure and didn't rip the OL a new a hole.  

Leadership takes place without cameras or microphones