Frost Stays

Husker03

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

False.  Cam's snaps are not a conversation anymore, we don't have lineman falling down presnap w/ no contact, we have recruited large bodies to fit in the Big10 on the line, he brought in special teams analyst, etc. Again, you can argue they haven't been the perfect steps but you can't argue that he has not taken steps.

False. We have lost maybe 1 excellent player and brought in about 5.  This isn't a hill you want to die on, as Frost is actually borderline masterful at the portal game so far.

False. He has taken steps and made staff changes EVERY off season to try to fix it. You don't want to see it because it is easier to just throw a fit and stamp you feet and say, "This isn't perfect," but there was ALOT broken here. And we finally have a program after 10+ years that we can be proud of. They are doing things the right way. Strength, conditioning, culture, attitude, out of the newpapers, working, building, etc. Maybe you forget the days where we got Melvin Gordon'd by teams much worse than we play this year routinely, but I don't and I can take what I see right now 1000 times over before I watch that "give up" culture again.

They start next week.

False, probably. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

The idea that they could not get "anyone" to take the job is wrong.

The idea that the next guy could be worse is certainly true.

The next guy could also be the coach we hoped Frost was going to be.

He is out there, a good coach that would be happy to take the job is out there.  

With the transfer portal the days of 4-5 year rebuilds are long gone.  You can flip your roster in 1 season.

We don’t need to flip the roster. I like the team. Hell, I may even love them.  They are the guys I want to win or lose with.  I can say the line’s young, and excuse their play that way. But the ST play is mystical. 

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Sometimes I wonder if we are that broken that four years in we are still work in progress. Greg Schiano seems to have Rutgers turned around in two years. They competed with Michigan in the big house with our ex-QB. Either we were really broken or Frost is not really sure who to fix things and he is just hoping to figure things with time. His press conference seems to indicate that he believes that Austin and Dawson are doing OK but it is the players fault. So, is he even considering changes? The sad fact is that if we even had an AVERAGE special teams, we would be 4-1 this season. 

If we had average OL play and average special teams we are currently 5-0 with 2 top 20 wins and most likely ranked close to the top 10 but oh well. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

If we had average OL play and average special teams we are currently 5-0 with 2 top 20 wins and most likely ranked close to the top 10 but oh well. 

If we hadn’t improved our secondary, linebackers, d line, running back room, quarterback, wide receivers, and tight ends, we’d be ranked 132 and getting embarrassed every week, but oh well.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
2 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Sometimes I wonder if we are that broken that four years in we are still work in progress. Greg Schiano seems to have Rutgers turned around in two years. They competed with Michigan in the big house with our ex-QB. Either we were really broken or Frost is not really sure who to fix things and he is just hoping to figure things with time. His press conference seems to indicate that he believes that Austin and Dawson are doing OK but it is the players fault. So, is he even considering changes? The sad fact is that if we even had an AVERAGE special teams, we would be 4-1 this season. 

Heck, look at Dave Aaranda down at Baylor.  First time coach at Baylor.  His offense was pretty brutal in year 1, mind you this is his first year of being a HC.  Guess what he did?  Fired his OC after one year and hired somebody new.  His old OC was Larry Fedora who was no slouch.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Heck, look at Dave Aaranda down at Baylor.  First time coach at Baylor.  His offense was pretty brutal in year 1, mind you this is his first year of being a HC.  Guess what he did?  Fired his OC after one year and hired somebody new.  His old OC was Larry Fedora who was no slouch.  

Some coaches hire their buddies and some don't 

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Some coaches hire their buddies and some don't 

That’s an interesting point.   I’d say that post Solich, all NU coaches including Frost have hired and stuck with their “buddies”.  What’s gone along with this is the HC’s being relatively tolerant of underperforming position groups.  I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but holding onto an assistant, even to the team’s detriment, seems to be commonplace around here.   

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

That’s an interesting point.   I’d say that post Solich, all NU coaches including Frost have hired and stuck with their “buddies”.  What’s gone along with this is the HC’s being relatively tolerant of underperforming position groups.  I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but holding onto an assistant, even to the team’s detriment, seems to be commonplace around here.   

Would be interesting to see how it breaks out with the top staffs in the country. Does Saban only hire his buddies? Dabo? Etc 

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

I was critical of Frost early on in his tenure for running clock to get to the next period when we had plenty of time to try to go get points on the board.  Guess what he did last night?  Precisely that.  It was an idiotic strategy that didn't work out 4 years ago and it's still an idiot strategy that doesn't work out.

If you think you see an improvement it's because the defense has improved.   Credit to Chinander there, not so much Frost.

We have people who catch the ball and make yards after the catch.  Improvement. 

AM is getting the ball to receivers even without a great Oline.  Man can that kid scramble when the pocket collapses!  Improvement. 

We have people running to the ball or following the running back to block.  We used to see people stop running.  Improvement. 

The Oline is playing below par, but much, much better than before.  We are moving the ball on the ground and in the air.  Last night we made some holes.   Improvement.

I saw guys playing their hearts out and playing to the final whistle.  Big Frigging improvement.

You go ahead and support condemning / firing Frost.  We'll be worse off than before.  Support Frost, he is improving the Husker Brand.  

Remember Dude.  Frost started with NU being the "Kansas" or "Kansas State" of the Big 10.  How long did it take to turn K-State around in the old Big 8 or Big 12 days?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
10 hours ago, Husker03 said:

The good news is,  most of the teams we have chalked up to losses look a lot more beatable now in turn.

Possibly. But on the other side of that coin, there is nothing about how our team is playing right now that makes me believe that we can win any more games this season than prior to the season starting. We are the team on everybody else's schedule where the game is practically an automatic 'W.'

Frost will stay because the alternative just creates too much chaos. But he's proving to be a terrible head coach of this program.

Husker football is not about moral victories, or seeing improvement. It's not about being the nicest fans in college football. It's about winning games. And it doesn't matter how terrible Riley was - four years later, Frost's record is just as bad (technically worse).

And before anyone comes in with absurd hypotheticals about how we'll be great in the coming seasons because of the young offensive linemen we have, etc., I think he'll be incredibly lucky if there isn't a sizable exodus into the transfer portal after this year.

14 minutes ago, River-runner said:

We have people who catch the ball and make yards after the catch.  Improvement. 

AM is getting the ball to receivers even without a great Oline.  Man can that kid scramble when the pocket collapses!  Improvement. 

We have people running to the ball or following the running back to block.  We used to see people stop running.  Improvement. 

The Oline is playing below par, but much, much better than before.  We are moving the ball on the ground and in the air.  Last night we made some holes.   Improvement.

I saw guys playing their hearts out and playing to the final whistle.  Big Frigging improvement.

You go ahead and support condemning / firing Frost.  We'll be worse off than before.  Support Frost, he is improving the Husker Brand.  

Remember Dude.  Frost started with NU being the "Kansas" or "Kansas State" of the Big 10.  How long did it take to turn K-State around in the old Big 8 or Big 12 days?

Oh now we're as bad as k state and Kansas. Odd how k states HC has 1 more win than ours in 1 less season. Mangino took KU bowling in year 4. We consistently bring in top 25 recruiting classes and have 10x the resources and support of either of those schools. 

• Plus1 2