Frost Stays

Husker03

It's obvious that Alberts won't fire Frost after this season.

So, let's shift the discussion to this question: Do you believe Frost is actually capable of fixing the special teams and fundamentals problems? If he can, he's got a team that could potentially have winning seasons in 2022 & 2023.

But if he can't fix these core, systemic problems he will stay the course as a 5-7 dumpster fire embarrassment that nobody in this state is proud to call their team. That's where Scott has this program; we are legitimately so terrible that we're talking about having to make major improvements just to have a winning season.

Unreal.

• Plus1 2

Another game, and another moral victory for the "unstoppables" as they are now dubbed.  If we can gather moral victories against Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Ohio State, will we make a bowl this year?

Coach Frost looks worn down and without answers at this stage.  The structural issues that are present with this team are simply too great for him to correct.  We are seemingly a program without a rudder, and one that simply does not know how to handle any success (in-game or season). 

As I have stated repeatedly, the only way Coach Frost is gone after this season is if he decides to depart.  He and his staff will get 5 years.  Let's be gracious and thank this staff for their contributions.  That said, let's also be honest and begin to think about the changes that may be coming in 14 months.  This experiment is running its' course.

• Plus1 3

I remember everyone saying look at PJ Fleck and Campbell (iowa state). Guys look it doesnt look good, but progress has been made. Our kicker is a head scratcher. But I say make some coaching moves (oline) get a special teams coach and infiltrate the transfer portal. Just dont sign the guy that quit during the game from Ohio State. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

You obviously have a very different view of Alberts than I do. TBH, I pretty much expect Axe Man Alberts to hack things up no matter what happens...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

So, let's shift the discussion to this question: Do you believe Frost is actually capable of fixing the special teams and fundamentals problems? If he can, he's got a team that could potentially have winning seasons in 2022 & 2023.

But if he can't fix these core, systemic problems he will stay the course as a 5-7 dumpster fire embarrassment that nobody in this state is proud to call their team. That's where Scott has this program; we are legitimately so terrible that we're talking about having to make major improvements just to have a winning season.

Unreal.

you see his plan to fix the punt return game,  let the punt go untouched and let the other team down the ball.  we are paying $5 mil for this s#!t coaching?

fire him now.

• Plus1 2

I am one of the more optimistic guys on this forum.  I'm really encouraged by some of the improvements.  WE are bigger, faster, stronger, etc...  Our defense is kicking a$$ and taking names.  Love it!  

All of that said, Frost is here to produce wins.  It's a simple measure to evaluate at the end of the day.  I'm not in favor of changing coaches yet but i think that has to be considered if we don't make a bowl game this year.  

In the mean time, I hope everyone can support those kids on the team that are playing their tail off.  GBR

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

The most disappointing thing of the past two games is that our defense went toe to toe with the number 3 and 20 teams in the nation and outplayed them yet we lost both games. They say defense wins championships. We definitely have a solid defensive unit and an OK offense (not great by any means but OK). What is keeping us from winning are the special teams. Over the past three and a half years, here is a summary of what our special teams have done:

(1) every kick is a Hail Mary regardless if it is a simple 30 yarder or a point after. You hold your breath every time they kick

(2) no one can field the football and get any positive yards. Most of the time, they let the football roll for 20 yards because they have zero confidence to field it and if they end up fielding the football, it is either a disaster or it gets called back for a stupid penalty 

(3) our punting has been the worst in FBS. We have a better chance just going for it on very down.

(4) players on special teams look lost and disoriented as if they have no coaching what so ever.

If we had MSU’s punter, we win the game. Have you ever imagined that a punter would be the reason why we lose games? I am sure there is an outstanding FCS punter out there who would love a scholarship to come to Nebraska and play FBS football. How hard is it to fix the special teams after 4 years? At what point does Frost just focus on fixing this disaster called special teams? His pressers indicate that he believes the coaches are doing a good job but the players are not learning. This is like saying a teacher is doing great even though his students are failing year after year.

I do not want Frost gone but I want him to admit that coaching changes are needed to fix the special teams and OL.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Someone correct me if i am wrong on this but I remember that Frost was asked after his hiring aoubt special teams/kickers.

His answer is something that you look back on it says alot.

When asked about special teams and kickers he said he goes down to the other end of the field, that he knows nothing about it.

You look back at it now and it explains alot.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, JoseyWales said:

Someone correct me if i am wrong on this but I remember that Frost was asked after his hiring aoubt special teams/kickers.

His answer is something that you look back on it says alot.

When asked about special teams and kickers he said he goes down to the other end of the field, that he knows nothing about it.

You look back at it now and it explains alot.

I have absolutely no idea what you just said, but I agree.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Toe said:

You obviously have a very different view of Alberts than I do. TBH, I pretty much expect Axe Man Alberts to hack things up no matter what happens...

Dude got rid of football and the best Div2 wrestling program in the country, he will step on toes to do what he deems necessary and I'd bet the powers that hired him are good with that. I won't begin to presume what he thinks is necessary but IF he doesn't think Frost is the answer I do see the axe coming-down. 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Dude got rid of football and the best Div2 wrestling program in the country, he will step on toes to do what he deems necessary and I'd bet the powers that hired him are good with that. I won't begin to presume what he thinks is necessary but IF he doesn't think Frost is the answer I do see the axe coming-down. 

I see Trev stepping in before this season is completely lost. We lost two Top-25 games because of special teams. We have three games we’ll be heavily favored in, and at least two we have a 50/50 shot if we take corrective action now. There’s still a chance to salvage something special here…

…and I don’t think Trev wants to fire Scott, but if Scott pushes back on Trev and Trev isn’t allowed to dictate how to fix this particular issue…then Scott’s gone. 

Greg Austin—yeah, he should have been left in Norman. But he won’t be let go until the end of the season. But corrective action re: kickers and punters and special teams…yeah, that can be done NOW. 

Even if that means opening up tryouts on campus for a new kicker and punter. 

Preferably one that knows their left from their right.  

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, The Dude said:

AM is still missing his receivers high.  Still not going through his progressions to see WIDE OPEN receivers.  Still fumbling virtually every game.  Still making the bone-headed plays in critical  situations to lose us games.  Great scrambler, for sure.  But he's always had that. That's not improvement.

The past 2 games against our toughest competition he has thrown for over 500 yards at a 73% completion clip while being under immense pressure nearly the whole game. But he is just a great scrambler right? He is our whole offense 

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The past 2 games against our toughest competition he has thrown for over 500 yards at a 73% completion clip while being under immense pressure nearly the whole game. But he is just a great scrambler right? He is our whole offense 

And yet we only scored 16 and 20 in those 2 games.  Yards and completion % doesn't really matter, points scored does though. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2