Frost Stays

Husker03

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Even if that means opening up tryouts on campus for a new kicker and punter. 

Preferably one that knows their left from their right.  

With an Aussie kicker who arguably knew nothing about football in camp- did he really understand the implication of kicking the ball to the wrong side of the field?  We don't have a Special Teams coach- do we really know how much this has been practiced, taught correctly etc?

With our team struggling even to not kick it out of bounds further than 7 and 29 yards on a straight kick- does it make sense to attempt a more difficult kick with a kicker who is really new to the game?

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Firing Frost would set us back? Back to what? Missing bowl games? Finishing unranked? Being out of conference championship talk after 2 conference games? He is staring directly at the worst win % of any head football coach at NU. Our defense loses both safeties, MLB depth, Stille, domann, possibly CTB. This should be the year that things click. 4 years to recruit to your system, 4 years to identify and fix deficiencies etc. Why didn't Riley get 5 years to fix the Pelini culture? Why didn't Callahan get more time to install his system and make more changes? Let's be honest if our HC wasn't named Scott Frost every single one of you would be calling for his head. It really is that simple. 

It would set us back $20 million.  However, continued losing seasons will set us back similarly with empty seats and upset boosters.

I'm torn as I see progress but also see the same issues.  I really wanted Scott to be here for a long time and become a mainstay of dominance.  We see the same issues over and over, however, and bad themes are coaching issues ultimately, not the players...systemic problems animate from the HC and staff.  I wish it weren't the case but it's simply unavoidable.

18 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Firing Frost would set us back? Back to what? Missing bowl games? Finishing unranked? Being out of conference championship talk after 2 conference games? He is staring directly at the worst win % of any head football coach at NU. Our defense loses both safeties, MLB depth, Stille, domann, possibly CTB. This should be the year that things click. 4 years to recruit to your system, 4 years to identify and fix deficiencies etc. Why didn't Riley get 5 years to fix the Pelini culture? Why didn't Callahan get more time to install his system and make more changes? Let's be honest if our HC wasn't named Scott Frost every single one of you would be calling for his head. It really is that simple. 

Amen. Frost needs to go! 

What part of his post game statement of, in essence, 'we need to practice harder,' makes anyone believe things are going to change? 

Think about this, it is year 4 and the expectation for Frost to keep his job is being bowl eligible. That's it. Winning 6 games.

No program should tolerate that low of an expectation in year 4.  Frost hasn't even matched the record of Riley's second worst season. He needs to go!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I want Frost to win so badly. Just imagine an alternate universe where our special teams and o-line play are simply 20% better than they are right now. There's a great chance we are 5-0 and in the top 15. This team has so much potential and it is held back 100% by coaching. People can say that the coach doesn't teach a player to throw the QB down after the whistle is blown, or to miff punts, or miff punt returns, or generally sniff glue on the special teams phase of the game. My counter is that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. We've been down this road for the last 4 years. These are year 1 and early year 2 mistakes that are STILL happening. Don't give me the COVID excuse. Look at Sam Pittman in Arkansas.

Frost has no answers.

I have no idea what to expect from Trev, but I certainly don't think it's coddling.  While Osborne had a calm, straight-laced demeanor, those boys who played for him were not exactly nice. If the axe needs swinging my guess is he won't have problems doing it. Realistically I do think that Frost gets the Solich treatment. He needs to reboot his offensive staff almost entirely. Everyone on defense should stay and get a raise. 

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The past 2 games against our toughest competition he has thrown for over 500 yards at a 73% completion clip while being under immense pressure nearly the whole game. But he is just a great scrambler right? He is our whole offense 

It's the only thing he's great at, yes.  And he is great at it.  There's no taking that away from him.

He's a huge percentage of the offense, indeed. That might, in part, explain our crappy offense.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, JoseyWales said:

Someone correct me if i am wrong on this but I remember that Frost was asked after his hiring aoubt special teams/kickers.

His answer is something that you look back on it says alot.

When asked about special teams and kickers he said he goes down to the other end of the field, that he knows nothing about it.

You look back at it now and it explains alot.

I think that is a great point.  I went trying to find any quotes on this.  Unfortunately, our "special teams" are so "special" that you can't really find that type of article with so many more recent articles on it.  

In any event, one would think that you would apply what a golfer would do ... if you are driving the ball straight and getting your yardage, if you irons are working for you in your approach shots are fine ... and it comes down to chipping and putting ... any good golfer then doesn't take their hour practice sessions and hit driver for 45 minutes.  

Nope, you hit a couple of 9's, a couple of 8's, then 7 irons ... a few of each ... then you get to the 3 wood and hit 4-5 and then the driver and hit 4-5.  Then you spend 45 minutes on putting and chipping.  That is how a golfer improves where the scoring really counts.

Sadly, I don't think this sort of logic seems to bleed into the current thinking and mindset.  

It's like I tell guys in recovery, if it is play 66 that is killing you ... then make sure that if you lose your sobriety it's anything but play 66.  You gotta stop play 66 if that is the play that has always defeated you.  Again, in year 4, it amazes me how many stupid things can occur and we allow play 66 to happen 6 more times with no consequence or detriment.  What is usually stated is, "that shouldn't happen ... that kid is a really good football player ... I'm tired of it".  Ah shucks, nope ... that player doesn't or isn't getting it [as I see it].

13 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I have no idea what to expect from Trev, but I certainly don't think it's coddling.  While Osborne had a calm, straight-laced demeanor, those boys who played for him were not exactly nice. If the axe needs swinging my guess is he won't have problems doing it. Realistically I do think that Frost gets the Solich treatment. He needs to reboot his offensive staff almost entirely. Everyone on defense should stay and get a raise. 

I honestly would be happy with just Greg Austin and our QB coach being gone, and getting a proven commodity at O-Line to develop the 4* talent we supposedly have. 

And also a Special Teams coordinator...because f*** this is abysmal in its current state. I mean, if I'm Frost, I'm having AM pooch punt/directional punt it going forward on 4th down. We really couldn't do much worse...and if we catch someone sleeping, we could get a really good roll/spot. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

I mean, if I'm Frost, I'm having AM pooch punt/directional punt it going forward on 4th down. We really couldn't do much worse...and if we catch someone sleeping, we could get a really good roll/spot. 

You're gonna make Adrian try to punt behind our offensive line? Yikes :lol:

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, GSG said:

You're gonna make Adrian try to punt behind our offensive line? Yikes :lol:

I'd have him roll out and pooch punt. 

Yeah, there's no way I'd keep him in the pocket behind our O-Line. And if AM rolls out and his pooch punt goes high...well, that's better than his passes going high, right?

I know the debate will rage on, but seems like this will work itself out. 4-8 (2-7) seems like an automatic HC firing, don't see how anyone would justify keeping Frost after our worst conf finish in 60+ years. 5-7 (3-6) probably means Frost gets one more year with staff adjustments as he is basically in "win or get fired" mode for 2022. 6-6 (4-5) probably gives Frost the ability to move forward with how he see's fit. 

9 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I'd have him roll out and pooch punt. 

Yeah, there's no way I'd keep him in the pocket behind our O-Line. And if AM rolls out and his pooch punt goes high...well, that's better than his passes going high, right?

Wouldn't it be wiser to just have Martinez drop real deep and toss a high lob inside the 10 with our receivers only role- tackle whoever intercepts?

Worked against Oklahoma :D

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, DefenderAO said:

It would set us back $20 million.  However, continued losing seasons will set us back similarly with empty seats and upset boosters.

I'm torn as I see progress but also see the same issues.  I really wanted Scott to be here for a long time and become a mainstay of dominance.  We see the same issues over and over, however, and bad themes are coaching issues ultimately, not the players...systemic problems animate from the HC and staff.  I wish it weren't the case but it's simply unavoidable.

The thing is we ALL want Frost to work out. I want him and this team to win the rest of their games! BUT if we go 4-8 he doesn't deserve another year. Find me another fanbase that puts as many people in the stands as we do for the product that has been on the field the last several years. That will end if he goes 4-8 and comes back, maybe that is what needs to happen but I also think you start toying with truly becoming a has been when you stop trying to compete for titles and that is exactly what a 5th year of Frost would feel like if we go 4-8 this year. 

The following excuses are not good "reasons" to not fire Frost (if the season ends with another losing season).

1.  NU doesn't have the money for his buyout -- NU will always have the money

2.  Frost needs more time --  Historically, good coaches show a significant upward trajectory in the win-loss record by year three or four.  Even if you throw away last year, we are in Year 3 of having the same results as what got Riley fired.  The only reason people think Frost needs more time is because that's the line Frost keeps feeding everyone.

3.  Frost just needs to fire Austin and get a special teams coach -- that doesn't change the guy at the top, so how much will things really change by re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?

4.  There isn't another head coach that NU can get that will be better -- Frost should be fired for his performance. Yes, the new coach may not be any better, but that shouldn't be an excuse for not trying to get a better coach.

5.  How can we fire our native son who won us a National Championship? -- Frost shouldn't get any more leeway because of who he is and his history with the program.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
21 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There are improvements in a number of things, but there isn't improvement in the only thing that matters, wins and losses. Frost isn't improving and frankly I'm getting tired of waiting on for him to improve. 

in addition, the problem of claiming "improvements" is that the places inthe program we've truly seen improvements are in places where he has no control over (defence), or his hand was forced. otherwise, there isn't truly any improvement.

• Plus1 1