Frost Stays

Husker03

5 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The thing is we ALL want Frost to work out.

We've wanted the new hires to work out for a long long time now.  The posts in here about Frost could well be very similar about every coach we've had since and including Solich when they were either not winning or not winning by enough (remember those days?). 

Frost has a similar spiel as every HC after a loss:  "We've turned a corner but we've still got some things to iron out, a blown assignment here, a mistake there, a penalty here and there,"  etc.  Same game, different name. 

On the bright side the Blackshirts look like Blackshirts now, and have for two big games.  I want Frost to admit that the O-line needs serious leadership from the coaches.  Special Teams, too.

11 hours ago, JoseyWales said:

Someone correct me if i am wrong on this but I remember that Frost was asked after his hiring aoubt special teams/kickers.

His answer is something that you look back on it says alot.

When asked about special teams and kickers he said he goes down to the other end of the field, that he knows nothing about it.

You look back at it now and it explains alot.

yes. i remembered this, but i couldn't find any articles on it. he actually said he didn't care about special teams, or it wasn't a concern, or something to that effect. 

truth is, Frost is an offensive play design genius trying to moonlight as a head coach. and it truly might work, but he has to leave some of this clubhouse mentality behind. in the Big Ten, you have to be intentional and have an almost insane attention to details about what you want to see happen in your program, no matter who you've delegated it to, and no matter whose feelings might get hurt. otherwise you can't win for an extended period of time. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It's the only thing he's great at, yes.  And he is great at it.  There's no taking that away from him.

He's a huge percentage of the offense, indeed. That might, in part, explain our crappy offense.

What a joke. One player can't do it all. Milton or Mariota wouldn't make the offense much better honestly. 

Just now, Undone said:

I completely disagree with this take. The only way you can make it even remotely float is if you also attach this onto it:

-Our special teams & blocking are so pathetic that Adrian has to basically be a Heisman candidate level QB to win games.

I can agree with that, maybe. But Adrian is doing enough.

Adrian is far from perfect, but like you are saying he's doing "enough" to win these games. Unfortunately, when the o-line sucks, the RB room is unsettled, and the WR's are hit and miss, Adrian has to do SO MUCH.  Throw in the fact that the special teams are a total clustereff, it seems like Adrian is forced to drive 80 yards every time for a score.  I know that he struggles in the red zone and he makes some mistakes each game.  But, if NU was giving him more support, NU would be winning these games by 2-3 scores, and one mistake may not be so critical.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

The O-line played better in the second half (for the most part). After Sichterman made his second false start, Frost chewed him on the sideline. He played better afterwards. The right tackle (can't think of his name) kept getting beat though. But no more penalties. This game game down to the punter(s), who didn't due their job. 

Now I admit that I am an eternal optimist, but i see marked improvement from everywhere except special teams. Although Culp was making his kicks Saturday. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, jager said:

The O-line played better in the second half (for the most part). After Sichterman made his second false start, Frost chewed him on the sideline. He played better afterwards. The right tackle (can't think of his name) kept getting beat though. But no more penalties. This game game down to the punter(s), who didn't due their job. 

Now I admit that I am an eternal optimist, but i see marked improvement from everywhere except special teams. Although Culp was making his kicks Saturday. 

+1. And you're right - we came out at halftime (surprisingly) the better team. Our offense moved the chains enough on the first couple of drives that our defense got completely rested while their defense started getting worn out.

Our last TD drive was a thing of beauty where MSU couldn't stop anything we were doing. Then our defense shuts them out on that next drive.

I'm just not sure whether it's actually correct to say that our team is "close." The penalties in the first half combined with newfound ways to lose a game via special teams is a theme that just never goes away.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, hagg said:

We've wanted the new hires to work out for a long long time now.  The posts in here about Frost could well be very similar about every coach we've had since and including Solich when they were either not winning or not winning by enough (remember those days?). 

Frost has a similar spiel as every HC after a loss:  "We've turned a corner but we've still got some things to iron out, a blown assignment here, a mistake there, a penalty here and there,"  etc.  Same game, different name. 

On the bright side the Blackshirts look like Blackshirts now, and have for two big games.  I want Frost to admit that the O-line needs serious leadership from the coaches.  Special Teams, too.

Frost said today that the OL spots are up for the taking.  Time for some changes

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

With an Aussie kicker who arguably knew nothing about football in camp- did he really understand the implication of kicking the ball to the wrong side of the field?  We don't have a Special Teams coach- do we really know how much this has been practiced, taught correctly etc?

With our team struggling even to not kick it out of bounds further than 7 and 29 yards on a straight kick- does it make sense to attempt a more difficult kick with a kicker who is really new to the game?

Maybe we need a rugby kicker - who can also tackle if he makes a mistake!!

• Haha 1

It’s the minor mistakes over and over. I’ve criticized frost a lot but this time I agree the players have to eventually step up and be sound at some point especially the o line they are struggling too many different ways and we all know it starts up front. I will say I didn’t like seeing manning get the pitch late in the game because Toure has been so reliable idk why we changed it up with the game on the line. The kicking situation has been a problem and idk why we aren’t investing in to ST because we aren’t good enough to keep giving away momentum like that. We were obviously mentally tough last week and I hate to see the kids not be rewarded with a big win on the road. We’re in a great situation the next 2 years talent wise we just have to learn that winning mentality and things will change. We even called a solid offensive game for two weeks in a row 

• Plus1 3

I think we need to see how the season plays out before we try to make any ultimate determination about Frost. Things are definitely trending negatively, but I would like to address a few of the points made by the OP.

1) The fact is, this team is light years more competitive than it was 2 years ago. Yes and no. You can only make this argument if you want to look at very specific parts of the team, in which case this becomes a weak argument. And the W/L record suggests they're right where they've been all along.

2) But, he has shown over and over again that he will fix that. I don't see enough evidence to support this claim. Special teams overall has been a sore spot for four years. The offensive line has been arguably the weakest position group for four years. The running back room has been fairly inconsistent. Unacceptable penalties. The defense has certainly improved, but we also know that Chin is more responsible for that unit than Frost. I'm struggling to see evidence to support the notion that he has fixed these types of problems "over and over," because the more fair argument at the moment is that he hasn't shown that... because they continue to be problems.

3) And that is true, but St is looking to be a better team than we thought they were a month ago. While true, the tougher pill to swallow is that - once again - Nebraska looked the better team, particularly with the overall dominant defensive performance. Teams perform better and worse than their pre-season projections all the time. That's old hat. What matters is how you play against them.

4) I suppose if we meltdown and lose our way to the end, there may be no choice but to make a change, but we owe it to the program to let it play out. Ultimately, I agree with this. I've become fairly skeptical this year to the point that I don't think they're going to get much better than where they are. I think a best case scenario is bowl eligibility. Even winning four games will probably buy Frost another year. Finishing the season with only two or three wins will probably be a bit of a death sentence, even if the team is competitive in those games.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1
37 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think we need to see how the season plays out before we try to make any ultimate determination about Frost. Things are definitely trending negatively, but I would like to address a few of the points made by the OP.

1) The fact is, this team is light years more competitive than it was 2 years ago. Yes and no. You can only make this argument if you want to look at very specific parts of the team, in which case this becomes a weak argument. And the W/L record suggests they're right where they've been all along.

2) But, he has shown over and over again that he will fix that. I don't see enough evidence to support this claim. Special teams overall has been a sore spot for four years. The offensive line has been arguably the weakest position group for four years. The running back room has been fairly inconsistent. Unacceptable penalties. The defense has certainly improved, but we also know that Chin is more responsible for that unit than Frost. I'm struggling to see evidence to support the notion that he has fixed these types of problems "over and over," because the more fair argument at the moment is that he hasn't shown that... because they continue to be problems.

3) And that is true, but St is looking to be a better team than we thought they were a month ago. While true, the tougher pill to swallow is that - once again - Nebraska looked the better team, particularly with the overall dominant defensive performance. Teams perform better and worse than their pre-season projections all the time. That's old hat. What matters is how you play against them.

4) I suppose if we meltdown and lose our way to the end, there may be no choice but to make a change, but we owe it to the program to let it play out. Ultimately, I agree with this. I've become fairly skeptical this year to the point that I don't think they're going to get much better than where they are. I think a best case scenario is bowl eligibility. Even winning four games will probably buy Frost another year. Finishing the season with only two or three wins will probably be a bit of a death sentence, even if the team is competitive in those games.

Very good post overall.  I think part of the challenge in evaluating Frost is that everyone wants him to succeed as a former player.  I certainly want him to succeed.  But football is a business, and the evaluation of Frost should be no different than any other coach we could have hired.  There should be clear goals/expectations set for any coach, and if those goals are not met, then the responsible thing to do would be to move on.  We certainly do not know what expectations were set by Moos previously, or what Alberts has set, but I think most fans would expect at least one winning season in four years.  It feels like we are trying overly hard to find reasons to retain Frost rather that simply evaluating him objectively as we would if it were Mike Riley, Bill Callahan, or some other name unaffiliated with the Husker program.  Just my two cents.

• Plus1 2