Frost Stays

Husker03

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Very good post overall.  I think part of the challenge in evaluating Frost is that everyone wants him to succeed as a former player.  I certainly want him to succeed.  But football is a business, and the evaluation of Frost should be no different than any other coach we could have hired.  There should be clear goals/expectations set for any coach, and if those goals are not met, then the responsible thing to do would be to move on.  We certainly do not know what expectations were set by Moos previously, or what Alberts has set, but I think most fans would expect at least one winning season in four years.  It feels like we are trying overly hard to find reasons to retain Frost rather that simply evaluating him objectively as we would if it were Mike Riley, Bill Callahan, or some other name unaffiliated with the Husker program.  Just my two cents.

I agree. I think Frost's history as a player is helping to control the way people talk about him. There's a decent chance a different coach would still be here in season four with these performances, but I think the word choice and overall tenor would be a lot different.

You can tell there's a general hesitancy among a lot of folks in the way they talk about Frost. I think that's OK given his history here. But to your point, the evaluation process does ultimately need to be objective, and I think it will be. I think most people inside and outside the program understand what kind of needs to happen from here on out. MSU was the starting point for that and they failed. That was a pretty significant hit to Frost in more ways than one. Kind of like removing a pretty critical piece of the foundation he was left standing on.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I think we need to see how the season plays out before we try to make any ultimate determination about Frost. Things are definitely trending negatively, but I would like to address a few of the points made by the OP.

1) The fact is, this team is light years more competitive than it was 2 years ago. Yes and no. You can only make this argument if you want to look at very specific parts of the team, in which case this becomes a weak argument. And the W/L record suggests they're right where they've been all along.

2) But, he has shown over and over again that he will fix that. I don't see enough evidence to support this claim. Special teams overall has been a sore spot for four years. The offensive line has been arguably the weakest position group for four years. The running back room has been fairly inconsistent. Unacceptable penalties. The defense has certainly improved, but we also know that Chin is more responsible for that unit than Frost. I'm struggling to see evidence to support the notion that he has fixed these types of problems "over and over," because the more fair argument at the moment is that he hasn't shown that... because they continue to be problems.

3) And that is true, but St is looking to be a better team than we thought they were a month ago. While true, the tougher pill to swallow is that - once again - Nebraska looked the better team, particularly with the overall dominant defensive performance. Teams perform better and worse than their pre-season projections all the time. That's old hat. What matters is how you play against them.

4) I suppose if we meltdown and lose our way to the end, there may be no choice but to make a change, but we owe it to the program to let it play out. Ultimately, I agree with this. I've become fairly skeptical this year to the point that I don't think they're going to get much better than where they are. I think a best case scenario is bowl eligibility. Even winning four games will probably buy Frost another year. Finishing the season with only two or three wins will probably be a bit of a death sentence, even if the team is competitive in those games.

Great points.  I think you hit on a lot of areas that we all "look for" in an attempt to justify keeping Frost and Co or to try and convince ourselves we are getting better.  As much as I want him to succeed, at the end of the day, we are who we are.  And it's a mistake prone team that STILL struggles with ST, OL play and the RB room.  In year 4.  And still out recruit most of our B1G cohorts.   Play calling is still suspect, under 1 minute, 2 TO's and a phyically worn out MSU D, we go into "playing for OT" instead of going deep 3 plays or something....Try than option again, a reverse, flea flicker....Anything other than rolling over.

And I will be the first to admit I was wrong about Chin.  We "look" improved because the D has the ability to keep us in games.

• Plus1 3

Ok, so two “moral” victories down…we got super close but no gravy. Our Special teams gave MSU an early Christmas gift. We move on. Now, If we don’t blow Northwestern out of memorial stadium this weekend, then Frost needs to sack up and start admitting that this failure to launch is entirely on him and his coaches. Stop blaming the players. You are the one collecting $5 million. 

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, lo country said:

And I will be the first to admit I was wrong about Chin.  We "look" improved because the D has the ability to keep us in games.

I'll absolutely count myself in that group, as well. I bought into the notion that the offense would not be the problem area. I think most of us did based on Frost's track record and history. It was a reasonable assumption to make between the two.

If Frost goes, I doubt Chin would stay, but I do like what he's done.

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Now, If we don’t blow Northwestern out of memorial stadium this weekend, then Frost needs to sack up and start admitting that this failure to launch is entirely on him and his coaches.

I'm like 75% sure we will roll them. But NW has a good coach and a typically solid program. If it's close late, Memorial Stadium will turn into the Capital of Pucker-ville. 

• Plus1 4

Can we stop saying it's his 4th year. I know technically it is however, look at what has happened in those 4 years and what he inherited. 

So he is hired by nebraska (after only 2 years as a head coach) on dec 2, 2017. 

The 1st early signing period comenced just 18 days later dec 20, 2017. 

Then less then a year later, Oct 2018, the transfer portal was inacted. 

Then you have everyrhing with covid in 2020. 

And the start of the nil rule in 2021. 

So he has had to deal with some of the largest systematic changes in college athletics in resent history. While learning how to be a head coach, and adjusting to a new conference. 

All of that on top of inhereting a program that has been bad for a while. That is not exciting recruits. A team that when chinader showed up he was the third DC in as many years. Where the previous coach had a completly different offense, did not make the players lift, and had very little connection to the region. 

So YES.... Frost has failed a lot and can't seem to get some things figured out. And YES it is the 4th year he has been here. But he has had to deal with a ton of crap in those 4 years and has managed to produce a time that is competing well. 

If he makes so changes and keeps learning i THINK he could get there. 

• Haha 6

https://coacheshotseat.com

We all know there are reasons Frost is number 1. To me we have to take the emotion out of it. No one thought we’d be this bad. And Frost gets a longer leash because of his history. Let’s play the games. But if the season continues like this we have to test the market. If we can get the right coach (in my opinion it has to be like Bob Stoops or another impressive name as in “yes we feel bad for Frost but we’d be crazy to pass on the opportunity”) and we need to move on. If we can’t get a big hire, then Frost stays. That’s really what it comes down to. 

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, GlobalHusker said:

While we “should” win handily, what I’ve learned from this team is that we play great enough to beat ranked teams, yet figure out a way to lose. And we play neck and neck to bad teams and either figure out a way to lose or barely escape with a win.

If frost stays, and hires a ST coach….who goes? Dawson? 

Verduzco, Frost lets Lubick actually be the OC and Frost handles QBs. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

If Frost ends up 6-6 but gets us into a bowl, I think he will get the 5th year.  I'm ok (like it really matters!) with that esp if there isn't a big name in Trev's back pocket interested in taking over.  One would have to consider, what other big programs will be in need of a HC at the end of this year or next.  Can Nebraska compete wt those programs in landing the best possible candidate? 

To get to 6-6 the D needs to continue its progress and the O needs to be the high scoring O that we expected from Frost - not the 50 point AAC type  scoring machine.  Can we just get into the 30s consistently and take the heat off of the D?

There has got to be some staff changes going into 2022.  Why does the HC need to help evaluate the OL practice this deep into the season.  Seems like the OL coach isn't doing his job effectively.  AM is good between the 20s but we aren't scoring in those critical end of game situations. I think our failure to close out drives and games is on the coaches.  Perhaps, AM's issues in the red zone is more due to the before mentioned OL play.  The passing lanes are tighter/crowded in the red zone and if the line isn't blocking it is hard to go through the progression of available receivers.  When AM has had time, he has made some descent throws.  Thus Austin needs to go and verduzco should go to make room for a ST coach. I do like the idea of moving Brown up to the RB coach position.   Can Scott handle being the HC and QB coach or does that take the focus off of him being the CEO- which we all are clamoring him to be.  Maybe the OC, Lubick,  takes over QB coaching to free up a spot for  a ST coach.  Is there someone who can coach QBs and TEs or QBs and WR??

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/28/ncaa-scott-frost-mike-norvell-college-football-coaches-on-hot-seat

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If Frost ends up 6-6 but gets us into a bowl, I think he will get the 5th year.  I'm ok (like it really matters!) with that esp if there isn't a big name in Trev's back pocket interested in taking over.  One would have to consider, what other big programs will be in need of a HC at the end of this year or next.  Can Nebraska compete wt those programs in landing the best possible candidate? 

To get to 6-6 the D needs to continue its progress and the O needs to be the high scoring O that we expected from Frost - not the 50 point AAC type  scoring machine.  Can we just get into the 30s consistently and take the heat off of the D?

There has got to be some staff changes going into 2022.  Why does the HC need to help evaluate the OL practice this deep into the season.  Seems like the OL coach isn't doing his job effectively.  AM is good between the 20s but we aren't scoring in those critical end of game situations. I think our failure to close out drives and games is on the coaches.  Perhaps, AM's issues in the red zone is more due to the before mentioned OL play.  The passing lanes are tighter/crowded in the red zone and if the line isn't blocking it is hard to go through the progression of available receivers.  When AM has had time, he has made some descent throws.  Thus Austin needs to go and verduzco should go to make room for a ST coach. I do like the idea of moving Brown up to the RB coach position.   Can Scott handle being the HC and QB coach or does that take the focus off of him being the CEO- which we all are clamoring him to be.  Maybe the OC, Lubick,  takes over QB coaching to free up a spot for  a ST coach.  Is there someone who can coach QBs and TEs or QBs and WR??

https://www.si.com/college/2021/09/28/ncaa-scott-frost-mike-norvell-college-football-coaches-on-hot-seat

I think Carter is in Frost's corner too.

• Haha 1

Frost will stay because there are enough four star recruits that are freshmen & sophomores, along with the constant upward trajectory of the defensive side of the ball.

I think there'd be a pretty big exodus into the transfer portal if he's fired, which is another reason I think they'll keep him.

But my biggest question is whether or not he fires Austin and changes things up to bring in a proven special teams coach. He fired Walters & Dewitt, so he's shown he has the guts to fire guys.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1