Northwestern Week Pressers

Mavric

5 minutes ago, RavHuskr said:

Guess he was not trying to throw the O line under the bus?  When you are used to having to dodge a tackle immediately after a hand off I can see why they would have improper footwork.

I think he's talking about plays where the O line actually has a hole for them.  There have actually been some.  But, there are times when the RB doesn't see where the open day light is for a much larger gain. 

There have also been times where the RB has tried to cut but slips.  That's might be where he's saying the footwork was bad.

He's not the O line coach, so I don't see why he would comment on them.  His job is to get the RBs playing the best they can, so that's what he's commenting on.

• Plus1 3

In reading these updates from the coaches, one would get the impression that the difference between a great outcome and a poor outcome on a play is a matter of fortuitous timing and execution.  

A position coach should address items like footwork and reads, and not simply wish for a player to discover both in game action.

The coaching establishes these items so well that they become instinctive for the player during the game.  That is the moment where a player marries instinct with his talent.  All fixable items, with the right instruction.  

We are trying to do too many things, and are scoring poorly on all.  Focus on doing a few items with excellence in mind and that will translate into success in the Win / Loss column.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, RavHuskr said:

Sure but the job the offensive line does directly affects the ability of his running backs performance.  You put a mid 90s oline in front of these running backs guarantee they would make better decisions and their footwork would be better.  Extreme example.

Most definitely.  But, the O line isn't his job and I would be disappointed if he stood up in front of the press making excuses for his position group.

2 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

A position coach should address items like footwork and reads, and not simply wish for a player to discover both in game action.

You're thinking this isn't being worked on?

• Plus1 2
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Most definitely.  But, the O line isn't his job and I would be disappointed if he stood up in front of the press making excuses for his position group.

You're thinking this isn't being worked on?

Unfortunately, I do think it is being worked on.  I use the term unfortunate, because the results after 4 years speak for themselves.  Whether the concepts are not being properly conveyed, or the offense is too complex for players to digest, I do not know.  

John Madden once spoke of a Vince Lombardi coaching seminar that he attended early in his career.  He entered as a young Junior College coach that "knew everything".  After 8 hours of listening to Coach Lombardi discuss the intricacies of "one play" (the Green Bay Power Sweep), he knew there was much more to learn.

That may be where we are, a coaching staff teaching the equivalent of calculus to algebra students.  They do not understand the fundamentals well enough to learn the advanced.  Focus on mastering the basics and the results will follow.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

In reading these updates from the coaches, one would get the impression that the difference between a great outcome and a poor outcome on a play is a matter of fortuitous timing and execution.  

The coaching establishes these items so well that they become instinctive for the player during the game.  That is the moment where a player marries instinct with his talent.  All fixable items, with the right instruction.  

We are trying to do too many things, and are scoring poorly on all.  Focus on doing a few items with excellence in mind and that will translate into success in the Win / Loss column.

Correct. 

To the unsuccessful-  many of them think everything is chalked up to luck and fortuitous timing. That's what they think and what they tell themselves to help them feel better about themselves. At the end of the day- that attitude is most likely responsible for their fate. 

When in reality almost all the time it's due to effective, efficient and consistent preparation. To the point where much of the intended actions look almost effortless. 

BTW Practice DOESNT mean perfect, I hate that dang phrase. Team and Group A may spend 3 hours practicing. Team B may practice the same amount of time. It matters what you practice, how you practice it, how you're taught it, quality control, pace and intensity. Team A and Team B may have radically different levels of competency based on the coaching they received.  That's why some coaches are very successful and make a lot of money and many who do not. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

because the results after 4 years speak for themselves. 

We've got what, three guys on the whole OL squad who have been here more than a couple years?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Toe said:

We've got what, three guys on the whole OL squad who have been here more than a couple years?

Starters on the Depth Chart:

Benhart - Year 3

Sichterman - Year 5

Cam - Year 4

Hixson - Year 5    OR   Piper - Year 3

Corcoran - Year 2

Honestly I wish they would have hit the transfer market on the OL. Depth at T and Starters at G. Sucks we're in a position where Teddy will need to contribute as a True Freshman. 3 young/new starters on the OL is risky, and if it doesn't work out - your entire offense is up creek without a paddle. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

on paper, the entire team is very young. but, the free year makes that a little deceiving. take away the free year and there are still way too few juniors and seniors on the offensive side of the ball.

Edited by desertshox
i cant read
  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Benhart - Year 3

Sichterman - Year 5

Cam - Year 4

Corcoran - Year 2

Honestly I wish they would have hit the transfer market on the OL. Depth at T and Starters at G. Sucks we're in a position where Teddy will need to contribute as a True Freshman. 3 young/new starters on the OL is risky, and if it doesn't work out - your entire offense is up creek without a paddle. 

Didn't they get a transfer who started at Colorado St and then that kid from Iowa?

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Benhart - Year 3

Sichterman - Year 5

Cam - Year 4

Corcoran - Year 2

I wish we had people that the athletic department cut 7 and 6 figure annual salaries to that would keep tabs on these things. 

• Plus1 3