Northwestern Week Pressers

Mavric

4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Didn't they get a transfer who started at Colorado St and then that kid from Iowa?

That was 2 classes ago. Nouili from CSU and Miller from Iowa were both walk-ons. They should have gone after guys with experience they could lean on while trying to bring along young guys. A hedge against your young starters needing more time to figure it out, so its not week 6 and your trying the "spray and pray" method at every position minus Center...

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Didn't they get a transfer who started at Colorado St and then that kid from Iowa?

Yeah but I think Nouili starting at Colorado State had to do with injuries, and it's a lot easier to play in the MW instead of the Big Ten. Miller is #2 at RT on the depth chart, so presumably has a chance to play this week. He left Iowa because of mental health reasons more than injury if I recall, but also wasn't exactly in playing shape and was raw to begin with. Both of those guys could help, but are actually inexperienced and relatively new compared to the guys playing now.

Grabbing an experienced guy from the portal would have been nice, even if it was lower level experience. Although the OL seems to be the thinnest position in the portal - they know they're not going to get the glory anyway, so probably makes more sense to stick where you are. 

I'm always excited to see a presser thread become an OL need/discussion.  Maybe there is still hope.  I sort of gave up on stating the need for more new blood in that area.  It had baffled me that folks were talking about how "set" we were and had all our pieces ...

... in the mean time you got a program like Wisky with FOUR 4* OL [a bit better than most years] and at least in this thread folks are beginning to state the need for better recruiting and development.  For me, a guy like Sichterman in a Year 5 is a total bust.  If this is what we need to wait 5 years for to be "ready" and "developed" ... then why not just bow out of football and try our hand at hockey?

Sichterman was a higher rated 3* with offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa State, Kent State, Kentucky, Marshall, Maryland, Memphis, Miami (OH), Oregon State, Pittsburgh, Purdue, Syracuse, Toledo, Vanderbilt, Virginia, Wake Forest and West Virginia.  Overall, that grouping of teams are not what we need to be going up against in recruiting scenarios.  Has Sichterman developed into any sort of OL that other teams would "covet"?  I don't think so.  We have to find a way to find guys that are developed at 285 or higher that can come in and challenge for the job after 1-2 years.  5 years of development and with this kind of OL output is just not gonna cut it.

22 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Starters on the Depth Chart:

Benhart - Year 3

Sichterman - Year 5

Cam - Year 4

Hixson - Year 5    OR   Piper - Year 3

Corcoran - Year 2

Honestly I wish they would have hit the transfer market on the OL. Depth at T and Starters at G. Sucks we're in a position where Teddy will need to contribute as a True Freshman. 3 young/new starters on the OL is risky, and if it doesn't work out - your entire offense is up creek without a paddle. 

Yeah, part of the issue is the 5th year guys.  One is in his first year as a starter and the other lost his starting spot previously 

18 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yeah, part of the issue is the 5th year guys.  One is in his first year as a starter and the other lost his starting spot previously 

I can't see Frost being happy with how that room has been handled. Austin should be first on the chopping block. I don't think he's a terrible coach, but Frost really doesn't have time to sit around and figure out how to build a B1G caliber OL.  

9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I can't see Frost being happy with how that room has been handled. Austin should be first on the chopping block. I don't think he's a terrible coach, but Frost really doesn't have time to sit around and figure out how to build a B1G caliber OL.  

I'd agree.

You could hear it in Frost's voice when he pointed out Michigan State had seven sacks.

4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Correct. 

To the unsuccessful-  many of them think everything is chalked up to luck and fortuitous timing. That's what they think and what they tell themselves to help them feel better about themselves. At the end of the day- that attitude is most likely responsible for their fate. 

When in reality almost all the time it's due to effective, efficient and consistent preparation. To the point where much of the intended actions look almost effortless. 

BTW Practice DOESNT mean perfect, I hate that dang phrase. Team and Group A may spend 3 hours practicing. Team B may practice the same amount of time. It matters what you practice, how you practice it, how you're taught it, quality control, pace and intensity. Team A and Team B may have radically different levels of competency based on the coaching they received.  That's why some coaches are very successful and make a lot of money and many who do not. 

Completely agree.  As Lombardi used to say, we are going to relentlessly pursue perfection knowing full well that we will never catch it.  Nothing is perfect.  But in the process of pursuing perfection, we will catch excellence.

Instruction, including effective communication of concepts, is core to this profession.  If the kids aren't demonstrating knowledge on the field, than there is a need to re-evaluate your approach to instruction.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

We need a proven P5 OL tough sumbish coach. Pay whatever it takes. I also don't see it mentioned very often that Austin is the run game coordinator as well...my how well that has gone. 

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'd agree.

You could hear it in Frost's voice when he pointed out Michigan State had seven sacks.

I'm guessing he hates the fact that he's spending his time working directly with the OL in week 6 of year 4. He's adjusted his offense and the type of athlete he's recruited to the B1G, he's probably gonna have to adjust his coaching staff as well. 

2 hours ago, Toe said:

We've got what, three guys on the whole OL squad who have been here more than a couple years?

True.  But the issues are not specific to this group of personnel.  They are endemic at this stage.  We have been unable to generate a consistent run game for three years running.  The pass blocking has been inconsistent throughout this Coach's tenure which has led to a Jekyll and Hyde scenario each week (many sacks / penalties and conversely, many good scrambles by an athletic QB).  Believe it or not, the scramble is our best play!  With so many peaks and valleys during drives, it is no wonder that we are unable sustain offensive momentum during a game.

2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We need a proven P5 OL tough sumbish coach. Pay whatever it takes. I also don't see it mentioned very often that Austin is the run game coordinator as well...my how well that has gone. 

Those guys are out there, Frost has to be comfortable going outside the Chip Kelly coaching tree. Chins did it with Tuioti. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

All Austin is doing is teaching the Scott frost blocking scheme. His coaching career is pretty solid from what I can tell. When you don't block O line with the intent to completely destroy the man in front of you and your looking to open up seams, this is what you get. 

If your not listening to the husker doc talk podcast, you should check it out. Rob really breaks it down; the guy knows a thing or 2 about O line play. it makes sense. 

Ive said in the past Austin should be shown the door because it's ultimately his job to get the results out of the system but Scott needs to realize zone blocking is the way to go. 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, KC Sker said:

All Austin is doing is teaching the Scott frost blocking scheme. His coaching career is pretty solid from what I can tell. When you don't block O line with the intent to completely destroy the man in front of you and your looking to open up seams, this is what you get. 

If your not listening to the husker doc talk podcast, you should check it out. Rob really breaks it down; the guy knows a thing or 2 about O line play. it makes sense. 

Ive said in the past Austin should be shown the door because it's ultimately his job to get the results out of the system but Scott needs to realize zone blocking is the way to go. 

Doctalk is a great podcast and he has some good thoughts.  He was part of the Pipeline and had an NFL career.

career.

That being said, schemes have altered and evolved some since he played 

He wasn't a fan of the 3-4 defense either, but there are teams, including Nebraska at the moment, running the 3-4 very solid.

Doctalk had mentioned nastiness and some issues taller OL have......and ironically Frost has been mentioning nastiness and pad level this week.

Keep in mind, Rob's brother was part of the OL with Frost.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

That being said, schemes have altered and evolved some since he played 

Doctalk had mentioned nastiness and some issues taller OL have......and ironically Frost has been mentioning nastiness and pad level this week

I hear ya. I'm all about inovation and evolution IF it's at least comparable, if not better than the established way of doing things.

He did make mention that most of the top rushing teams in college and the pros run zone blocking (Wisconsin, Iowa, Minn in our own League). I'm not an O line play aficionado so I'm just taking him at his word. 

Scott also talked about lack of nastiness in the presser. Who knows, maybe we if we taught our guys to maul the guy in front of you and steal his soul on every play, they would be more, well...nasty I guess.