The Courts (not specific to either party)

26 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Once we change from a the traditional sense of marriage, why in the world can three people not be married?  I’m sure there are plenty of instances where this would make people happy and we are getting in the way of peoples bedrooms.  

What do you mean by a traditional sense of marriage? I get the feeling you're not referring to the traditional sense being grown adult men taking ownership of 14-15 year old women and f#&%ing them to make it count as marriage.

Btw, the government isn't getting in the way of peoples bedrooms, threesomes still exist and are legal.

• Plus1 3
47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

See my post.

Thanks.  Not sure how long ago you worked in the healthcare industry, but much of that changed and isn’t dependent on being married.  Hasn’t changed everywhere obviously, but it would also affect long time oppo sex dating partners too.    

• Plus1 2

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The other rulings that Thomas mentioned have me pissed.  How in the hell can someone control if someone gets contraception or not?  Also, marriage is a legal relationship.  It's NOT a religious relationship unless that couple chooses to make it that way.  When I worked in healthcare, we would have patients who had life long gay partners.  The patient would end up in the ICU where only family members can visit.  I had to tell the partner, they couldn't come visit while the patient was dying.  This experience changed my entire view on this.  This isn't the only issue with this.  It's just my own experience.  Anyone who supports banning gay marriage is being a horrible person.

Yep.  Thomas is way over the top - trying to have his cake and eat it too.  Like you, I'm pro-life,  but how do you ban contraceptives  and think you are bringing justice to the world. 

The country tried the stupid prohibition route 100 years ago and that didn't go well.  The restrictions Thomas is talking about would ignite a civil war in this country or make most of the country 'criminals' out of necessity.    As you mentioned, you can't ban abortion and not protect a woman's right to contraception.  It is inconceivable that it could be enforceable or workable and it sure isn't just and fair. 

If the GOP wants to show 'compassion' in this issue - the states with the strongest abortion laws should now be the states  passing the strongest laws to protect contraception rights,  laws providing greater pre-natal care, other services/benefits for single mothers and mothers to be,  child care and child welfare provisions,  cut red tape on adoption, etc    I won't hold my breath.  The GOP hasn't shown itself to be very nimble with life issues outside of the womb. 

While marriage to me in a religious setting is between a man and a women, in our pluralistic society we have to think differently.  This isn't Iran (yet) and so our laws, court rulings need to reflect the society as a whole.  I have been ok with civil unions and if you want to call it marriage then fine - it is just a term.  Put one set of partners should have the same benefits in a pluralistic society as another.   

45 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

What do you mean by a traditional sense of marriage? I get the feeling you're not referring to the traditional sense being grown adult men taking ownership of 14-15 year old women and f#&%ing them to make it count as marriage.

Btw, the government isn't getting in the way of peoples bedrooms, threesomes still exist and are legal.

Hell yeah they do.

44 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

What are you even talking about in the first paragraph??  If that happens where you come from, then God help ya.   

The government is getting in the way of three people being married to each other. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

What benefits do married couples have now that unmarried couples don’t have currently?  I haven’t looked into this and always have heard from a tax standpoint, being married was a penalty.   Thanks in advance for any input. 

Appreciate your curiosity. This group is pretty smart about these things. But surely you know a quick Google search can give you your answers any time you want. 

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What are you even talking about in the first paragraph??  If that happens where you come from, then God help ya.   

The government is getting in the way of three people being married to each other. 

Not speaking for the OP, but it's always interesting how sacred some Supreme Court Justices hold the Founding Fathers, without considering the America they lived in.

"Traditional" late 18th Century marriages being just one example. 

• Plus1 2