The Courts (not specific to either party)

1 hour ago, whateveritis1224 said:

The best way to prevent abortions is to provide easy access to contraception and comprehensive sex education. Didn't Colorado provide birth control for essentially free a while back and have their abortion rates plummet?

You are correct.

But wait 'til you hear what they're going to ban next.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, whateveritis1224 said:

The best way to prevent abortions is to provide easy access to contraception and comprehensive sex education. Didn't Colorado provide birth control for essentially free a while back and have their abortion rates plummet?

Interesting. IDK the answer and have lived here for about 36 years. Heck I just became aware that we have about the most liberal state abortion laws.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Interesting. IDK the answer and have lived here for about 36 years. Heck I just became aware that we have about the most liberal state abortion laws.

I have no clue on the exact abortion rates in Colorado. In fact, now thinking twice about it (some stat or graph or write up I saw a long time ago), it might be Teen Pregnancy rates that plummeted after they eased the access to birth control (no clue if expanded Sex Education was included).

Here's the first link I found on Google about this:

https://cdphe.colorado.gov/fpp/about-us/colorados-success-long-acting-reversible-contraception-larc

Highlights
This initiative empowered thousands of Colorado women to choose when and whether to start a family.
Thanks in large part to the Colorado Family Planning Initiative:
Teen birth rate was nearly cut in half.
Teen abortion rate was nearly cut in half.
Births to women without a high school education fell 38 percent.
Second and higher order births to teens were cut by 57 percent.
Birth rate among young women ages 20-24 was cut by 20 percent.
Average age of first birth increased by 1.2 years among all women.
Rapid repeat births declined by 12 percent among all women.
Costs avoided: $66.1-$69.6 million.

• Plus1 3

On 6/25/2022 at 3:09 PM, JJ Husker said:

As the board's resident Coloradan, I'm curious what are your thoughts on Polis, JJ? Would you support him if he ran for higher office? 

As a newish transplant in Michigan (I can smell @ZRod from my backyard :lol:), I've been pretty darn happy with our governor here. HUGE upgrade from Ricketts. But I love Polis. His governance during COVID and now in response to Roe seems like a refreshing break from my other D governors. More of a Libertarian "keep big government from making our decisions for us" approach.

It's a shame a lot of America wouldn't be able to get on board because he has a husband.

• Plus1 2
51 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

As the board's resident Coloradan, I'm curious what are your thoughts on Polis, JJ? Would you support him if he ran for higher office? 

As a newish transplant in Michigan (I can smell @ZRod from my backyard :lol:), I've been pretty darn happy with our governor here. HUGE upgrade from Ricketts. But I love Polis. His governance during COVID and now in response to Roe seems like a refreshing break from my other D governors. More of a Libertarian "keep big government from making our decisions for us" approach.

It's a shame a lot of America wouldn't be able to get on board because he has a husband.

I think Polis has been pretty decent as governor. He’s got a few ideas that lean too far left for my liking but at least they are ideas that come from a good place and are intended to help people.

I would easily consider supporting him for higher office. Lord knows he’s better than most that have tried to attain higher offices lately. I really don’t care that he has a husband. I’ll probably take some heat for this but he doesn’t come off like a flamer. He doesn’t have “that” voice and he doesn’t flaunt it. He just seems like a normal guy that everyone knows is gay. But I’d hate to see the crap that a national race would bring out of the far right Christians.

• Plus1 2
On 6/25/2022 at 10:51 AM, Lorewarn said:

For the sake of making sure we're dealing with correct info this isn't true, at least not immediately which is what the implication seems to be. Abortions ballooned after Roe V Wade, and have been on a steady downward trajectory for several decades now

381.apc_august_2019_rate.png?itok=DarahE

Yes. This is correct and my post was likely misleading. I just think many people don't realize that for the last dozen years of this controversy, the abortion rate was lower than when abortion was illegal.

Not a stretch to think pre-Roe numbers were under-reported, as will happen again for obvious reasons. 

Seeing a lot of complaints about this online, but I actually agree with this decision. 

With the caveat that I would disagree if the coach punished players who don't participate in post-game prayer, I see no harm to anyone if this coach prays in a public place. 

It's been happening at Nebraska for decades and there isn't any public info that it's harmed anyone. 

• Plus1 5
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Seeing a lot of complaints about this online, but I actually agree with this decision. 

With the caveat that I would disagree if the coach punished players who don't participate in post-game prayer, I see no harm to anyone if this coach prays in a public place. 

It's been happening at Nebraska for decades and there isn't any public info that it's harmed anyone. 

Agreed. If he was forcing or incentivizing joining in on the prayer, it’d be a completely different story. This seems like an obvious one.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Assuming this is the same coach I started a thread about a few months ago, I feel the same way in terms of that being legally protected.

But I also think that coach is hella gaslighting the situation painting himself as a victim through the events of the story and seems like a huge douche.

7 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Assuming this is the same coach I started a thread about a few months ago, I feel the same way in terms of that being legally protected.

But I also think that coach is hella gaslighting the situation painting himself as a victim through the events of the story and seems like a huge douche.

He was fired for leading a prayer after a football game. He is a victim, at least on some levels.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If people would be more modest with their faith and prayer in public things like this wouldn’t happen.

But that would require American Christian’s to actually practice Christianity…

Yes - go to the prayer closet instead of parading it around like the Pharisees.  Of course there is a place and time for public prayer.   In this case, a voluntary prayer of thanks after the game shouldn't be an issue.  If he was all alone and seeking attention that would be more Pharisee like.