The Courts (not specific to either party)

11 minutes ago, nic said:

BRB, you and I have found common ground twice recently. :cowbell: 

I’m still confused by this.  How on earth do you guys think the coach would have been fired if he wasn’t leading a prayer at midfield? I mean, assuming he was meeting all other expectations.

What would he have been fired for?

4 hours ago, funhusker said:

I’m still confused by this.  How on earth do you guys think the coach would have been fired if he wasn’t leading a prayer at midfield? I mean, assuming he was meeting all other expectations.

What would he have been fired for?

Maybe I misread the posts. I don’t think he should have been fired for praying at midfield. He should not be asking his players to do it, either. Let God sort out whether he was genuinely praying or not. That’s not for me to decide. Maybe I am lost in this discussion and should just bow out.:D

22 minutes ago, nic said:

Maybe I misread the posts. I don’t think he should have been fired for praying at midfield. He should not be asking his players to do it, either. Let God sort out whether he was genuinely praying or not. That’s not for me to decide. Maybe I am lost in this discussion and should just bow out.:D

So you agree with me then:thumbs

Prayer is between him and God and he could have saved himself a lot of headache by keeping it that way.  At the same time, it’s his 1st Amendment right to bring on headaches if he wants to.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

So you agree with me then:thumbs

Prayer is between him and God and he could have saved himself a lot of headache by keeping it that way.  At the same time, it’s his 1st Amendment right to bring on headaches if he wants to.

Think of it this way:

If you own a 12 gauge shotgun that you use for hunting and keep it in your basement except when in use, no worries.

If you walk into Target with an AR 15 on your shoulder and get arrested, you most likely have the right to carry that weapon but you better be prepared to answer some questions.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No….he doesn’t.  

How so?

Should Coach have been fired? No (what I said)

Would Coach be fired if he didn’t lead a prayer? Absolutely not (what I said)

That’s really all I said.  

You said the idea of the coach never saying a prayer at all and not getting fired was a reason to sue.  There are a TON of coaches that don’t do this. 

Maybe you misunderstood my posts.

• Plus1 1

I have to admit I have not read the opinion yet, and the event took place long enough ago that I do not remember all the details. In general, Praying at midfield before or after a game with whoever voluntarily wants to join in is fine with me. I don’t see any violation of someone’s rights. It should not interfere with a team warm up before a game, but that is common curtesy. The separation of church and state and freedom of religion is a tough nut to crack and their are people on both sides the try and go to extremes with either. 

• Plus1 1