The Courts (not specific to either party)

Just now, DevoHusker said:

How many of those Presidents were duly elected using the election system in place?

The archaic system created 200+ years ago? All of them.

Does that system allow us to put people in office who reflect the will of the people? No.

Hence the issues we're having today. People hiding behind documents written by people who owned slaves, who would be baffled at the sight of a dishwasher. And that system allowed a disgustingly political Republican Senator to block a duly-elected president from a Supreme Court placement, then rammed THREE right-wing conservatives down our throats, who are on the verge of tearing down voting rights, abortion, gay marriage... 

Maybe that's why the court's so messed up. 

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The archaic system created 200+ years ago? All of them.

Does that system allow us to put people in office who reflect the will of the people? No.

Hence the issues we're having today. People hiding behind documents written by people who owned slaves, who would be baffled at the sight of a dishwasher. And that system allowed a disgustingly political Republican Senator to block a duly-elected president from a Supreme Court placement, then rammed THREE right-wing conservatives down our throats, who are on the verge of tearing down voting rights, abortion, gay marriage... 

Maybe that's why the court's so messed up. 

Knapp, I don't think the "archaic" system has failed us.  Only trump was elected wtout  the popular vote in recent years.  GWB won in 2000 with fewer popular votes than Gore.   But the system worked in 2020 (thankfully), 2012, 2008, 2004 and all the years (except 2000) going back to 1888.   One could argue that GWB was the right guy to be elected in 2000 based on his response to 911 (but not including Iraq where he got off target).  I don't see Gore being a good leader during that crisis (of course leaders are made in crisis as we've seen in Ukraine so maybe Algore could have come through as well).   But that is a different discussion.   The election of Trump was unforeseen by most everyone.   He was a disaster in too many ways to name here.  Should we have a national election by popular vote?  Maybe so, but the politicians will ignore fly over country and spend their whole time in California, NY, Texas and Florida and speaking to their issues.   If Hilary had done her job and take Trump serious in every state, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  If the Dems had nominated someone likeable in 2016, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  Of course the GOP is more accountable for where we are at:  Good grief - with 17 candidates in 2016 why they couldn't have picked someone different than trump is a failure of the highest order.  Now the camel has taken over the whole party and corrupted it through and through. 

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Knapp, I don't think the "archaic" system has failed us.  Only trump was elected wtout  the popular vote in recent years.  GWB won in 2000 with fewer popular votes than Gore.   But the system worked in 2020 (thankfully), 2012, 2008, 2004 and all the years (except 2000) going back to 1888.   One could argue that GWB was the right guy to be elected in 2000 based on his response to 911 (but not including Iraq where he got off target).  I don't see Gore being a good leader during that crisis (of course leaders are made in crisis as we've seen in Ukraine so maybe Algore could have come through as well).   But that is a different discussion.   The election of Trump was unforeseen by most everyone.   He was a disaster in too many ways to name here.  Should we have a national election by popular vote?  Maybe so, but the politicians will ignore fly over country and spend their whole time in California, NY, Texas and Florida and speaking to their issues.   If Hilary had done her job and take Trump serious in every state, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  If the Dems had nominated someone likeable in 2016, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  Of course the GOP is more accountable for where we are at:  Good grief - with 17 candidates in 2016 why they couldn't have picked someone different than trump is a failure of the highest order.  Now the camel has taken over the whole party and corrupted it through and through. 

I think I have a bigger problem with our primary system than I do the general election....even though that could be improved.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think I have a bigger problem with our primary system than I do the general election....even though that could be improved.

The primary system is horrible and essentially up to the party. Hence why we got Clinton over Sanders.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree 100%.  Trump beating Clinton in the general election was both a fluke and a historical anomaly. The primaries paved the way for a trump. If they had ranked voting we may not have had a trump.  If the parties could be more open and also more disciplined (limit the # of candidates) and also make it less of a marathon then maybe we get better candidates who rise to the top. But again we need to look beyond the last 2 election cycles- perhaps the worse 3 candidates I can think of in

my almost 50 years of voting  While Biden was qualified he was too old. Hillary and trump were just bad- Hillary was qualified but just a bad person. Trump - :facepalm:

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Why?  Did he do something illegal?

His wife, his "besty" tried to overthrow our democracy and he refuses to recuse himself in any case involving January 6th.  It's impossible that he didn't know about her actions.  That in itself should be the impetus for him doing the ethical thing by resigning.  He's tarnished the country's faith in the court.

And let's not bulls#!t anyone here.  Had this indiscretion come from a judge appointed by a Democrat you'd be all over it.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

His wife, his "besty" tried to overthrow our democracy and he refuses to recuse himself in any case involving January 6th.  It's impossible that he didn't know about her actions.  That in itself should be the impetus for him doing the ethical thing by resigning.  He's tarnished the country's faith in the court.

And let's not bulls#!t anyone here.  Had this indiscretion come from a judge appointed by a Democrat you'd be all over it.

So he didn’t do anything illegal.  Thank you for clarifying.  

And no I wouldn’t.  Because the judge wouldn’t have done anything illegal.  

• Thanks 1