The Courts (not specific to either party)

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

And in case you had any illusions that the right of gays to be married (Obergefell) isn't next, it's written into this travesty of a ruling:

FWBhtOwXoAMoXNu?format=jpg&name=orig

I was assured by a specific person on this board that there was most definitely not a reason to worry about the right of marriage.

• Plus1 5

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I was assured by a specific person on this board that there was most definitely not a reason to worry about the right of marriage.

Multiple people on this very board insisted we were overreacting when we complained that ACB was crammed down our throats, and that Roe vs. Wade was DEFINITELY not under attack.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Multiple people on this very board insisted we were overreacting when we complained that ACB was crammed down our throats, and that Roe vs. Wade was DEFINITELY not under attack.

Abortion is an iffy thing for me, but ultimately I think we need to have freedom for our bodies. On the other hand as long as it's between consenting adults, who on god's jolly green f#&%ing earth gives a damn what other person another marries??? Mind your own goddamn business and let other people be happy or unhappy for life 

:lol:

Oh, and he cites Griswold as well. So, now they are going to care how my wife and I choose to protect ourselves from an unwanted pregnancy during sex??? 

And Lawrence? Now they care about whether or not we do butt stuff??? Get out of my bed room Clarence!

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Abortion is an iffy thing for me, but ultimately I think we need to have freedom for our bodies. On the other hand as long as it's between consenting adults, who on god's jolly green f#&%ing earth gives a damn what other person another marries??? Mind your own goddamn business and let other people be happy or unhappy for life :lol:

If my daughter were to get pregnant, I would hope that she would want to carry that baby to term and we would help her raise it.  I also would understand if she would decide to terminate that pregnancy, it's her decision, not mine.  However, my daughter is in a very lucky situation where she has a lot more help and support than a lot of other women in this country.  And god forbid if she was a victim of rape and be forced to carry that baby to term.  I would be sick to my stomach.

Regarding gay marriages, I used to be against it.  My former belief was hidden behind the Bible, but I honestly was just too afraid to think about the rights to gay marriage on a deeper level.  However, when I thought about the legal and financial benefits which married people have, why should "straight marriages" get to have those rights, when people who are gay can't get those same rights?  That's where the hypocrisy came into my head, and thought "hey, if gay people want to get married, what is the harm in that?"

• Plus1 3
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If my daughter were to get pregnant, I would hope that she would want to carry that baby to term and we would help her raise it.  I also would understand if she would decide to terminate that pregnancy, it's her decision, not mine.  However, my daughter is in a very lucky situation where she has a lot more help and support than a lot of other women in this country.  And god forbid if she was a victim of rape and be forced to carry that baby to term.  I would be sick to my stomach.

Regarding gay marriages, I used to be against it.  My former belief was hidden behind the Bible, but I honestly was just too afraid to think about the rights to gay marriage on a deeper level.  However, when I thought about the legal and financial benefits which married people have, why should "straight marriages" get to have those rights, when people who are gay can't get those same rights?  That's where the hypocrisy came into my head, and thought "hey, if gay people want to get married, what is the harm in that?"

Glad you opened your mind to it. That's the bigger issue to me as well. You're effectively oppressing a people because of their sexual orientation. Even Jesus wouldn't like that.

I'm curious though. Religiously were you against it because of a specific passage, or just because that's what church leaders told you was bad? Being raised Catholic I never ever remember a passage being read at church concerning gay marriage, but the older priests sure like to pound the pulpit about how marriage was under attack.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ZRod said:

Glad you opened your mind to it. That's the bigger issue to me as well. You're affectively oppressing a people because of their sexual orientation. Even Jesus wouldn't like that.

I'm curious though. Religiously were you against it because of s specific passage, or just because that's what church leaders told you was bad? Being raised Catholic I never ever remember a passage being read at church concerning gay marriage, but the older priests sure like to pound the pulpit about how marriage was under attack.

I have never been "overly religious" although I was raised going to church, but for whatever reason I thought and said "I was taught under the Bible that marriage was between a man and a woman".  I am sure it was because I wasn't around a lot of gay people growing up (although I did have one gay cousin, who moved from Nebraska to Denver to live in a more liberal area) and I thought gays "were weird".  But, as I grew up, lived in different areas, met more gay people, worked and became friends with gay people, I began to realize "they are just like me or my wife, they just happen to be attracted to same sex people".  Why shouldn't gay people be allowed to marry, have kids, and do all the same things straight people want to do, just because of who they are attracted/have sex with?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There are so many people in this country who are wanting to adopt, but have to look overseas because there are not enough babies here available for adoption.  I’ve known five couples who adopted and all five paid the pregnancy and delivery expenses of the birth mom.   It’s certainly a tough choice for someone who is young single and pregnant.  Adoption centers can help immensely.  And absolutely, the birth dads in some cases need to stop being pieces of s#!t and leaving everything to the female.   

Gay marriage I don’t care about except for one sense.  Once we change from a the traditional sense of marriage, why in the world can three people not be married?  I’m sure there are plenty of instances where this would make people happy and we are getting in the way of peoples bedrooms.  

What benefits do married couples have now that unmarried couples don’t have currently?  I haven’t looked into this and always have heard from a tax standpoint, being married was a penalty.   Thanks in advance for any input. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

As I've said, I'm pro life, but am disgusted/very concerned with this ruling.  

Like you, if my daughter was raped and got pregnant, I would be absolutely mortified and sick to my stomach that she would now be forced to carry that pregnancy and raise that child knowing how it was conceived.  Sure, she could put it up for adoption, but she would always know there is a person in the world that is part her and part a brutal rapist.  That would just prolong the pain of the event.

The other rulings that Thomas mentioned have me pissed.  How in the hell can someone control if someone gets contraception or not?  Also, marriage is a legal relationship.  It's NOT a religious relationship unless that couple chooses to make it that way.  When I worked in healthcare, we would have patients who had life long gay partners.  The patient would end up in the ICU where only family members can visit.  I had to tell the partner, they couldn't come visit while the patient was dying.  This experience changed my entire view on this.  This isn't the only issue with this.  It's just my own experience.  Anyone who supports banning gay marriage is being a horrible person.

• Plus1 3
20 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

There are so many people in this country who are wanting to adopt, but have to look overseas because there are not enough babies here available for adoption.  I’ve known five couples who adopted and all five paid the pregnancy and delivery expenses of the birth mom.   It’s certainly a tough choice for someone who is young single and pregnant.  Adoption centers can help immensely.  And absolutely, the birth dads in some cases need to stop being pieces of s#!t and leaving everything to the female.   

Gay marriage I don’t care about except for one sense.  Once we change from a the traditional sense of marriage, why in the world can three people not be married?  I’m sure there are plenty of instances where this would make people happy and we are getting in the way of peoples bedrooms.  

What benefits do married couples have now that unmarried couples don’t have currently?  I haven’t looked into this and always have heard from a tax standpoint, being married was a penalty.   Thanks in advance for any input. 

Do adoption centers take care of the mental and physical health care of the woman who is forced to carry the baby to term?  What if women aren't able to work or stay in school for those 9 months of being pregnant, and they are never able to get back to their life before becoming pregnant?  If R's want to force women to carry pregnancies to childbirth, then where is the extra social $ to care for those women and their child?  It's the hypocrisy of that what drives me crazy.

If I understand the birth of the United States correctly, a couple of the founding items was a freedom of religion and a separation of church and state.  I am not naive to think that religion has never had a hand in creating laws throughout history, but when religious morality beliefs are put into law and putting control onto people or society, I don't agree with it.

• Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do adoption centers take care of the mental and physical health care of the woman who is forced to carry the baby to term?  What if women aren't able to work or stay in school for those 9 months of being pregnant, and they are never able to get back to their life before becoming pregnant?  If R's want to force women to carry pregnancies to childbirth, then where is the extra social $ to care for those women and their child?  It's the hypocrisy of that what drives me crazy.

If I understand the birth of the United States correctly, one of the founding items was a freedom of religion and a separation of church and state.  I am not naive to think that religion has never had a hand in creating laws throughout history, but when religious morality beliefs are put into law and putting control onto people or society, I don't agree with it.

YES!!!!

Also, the biggest of hypocrisy of them all.  Ban abortion and don't protect women's right to contraception.

• Plus1 2