WR Malachi Coleman

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

62 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Coleman commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

13 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Wanting to see the defense rebuilt, I'd enjoy seeing him at LB.  In the end, anything that puts him in his best spot.  If he's better at LB, put him there.

I've seen where people have said we are looking at him at LB.  But, he's 6'5" and 190 lbs.(per 247)  Is that really the build of a LB in the Big Ten? Wouldn't he have to put on a ton of weight?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've seen where people have said we are looking at him at LB.  But, he's 6'5" and 190 lbs.(per 247)  Is that really the build of a LB in the Big Ten? Wouldn't he have to put on a ton of weight?

He could play wherever you need him. Isaiah Simmons at Clemson was a tall athletic HS WR that played anywhere from Safety to a stand up rush end in college. 

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

He could play wherever you need him. Isaiah Simmons at Clemson was a tall athletic HS WR that played anywhere from Safety to a stand up rush end in college. 

At the draft, Simmons was 6'4" and 238 lbs.  So, yes, my comment is correct and he would need to gain a lot of weight to play LB.  To match Simmons, he would need to gain almost 50 lbs.  Some kids can do that, some can't.

• Plus1 2

Crossing my fingers because this would be an awesome commit to the Huskers team, if it happens.

I can see him getting to 220 fairly easily.  Edge rusher or WR, the best thing to do is to allow the kid to play the position he truly wants to play.  Will be real good wherever tho.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

At the draft, Simmons was 6'4" and 238 lbs.  So, yes, my comment is correct and he would need to gain a lot of weight to play LB.  To match Simmons, he would need to gain almost 50 lbs.  Some kids can do that, some can't.

Right, but coaching staffs/recruiting services do project which kids likely can or can't pretty well - and most seem to think he'll be able to. Maybe a moot point if he clicks at receiver and the other OLB/Edge recruits work out but I don't think it's crazy to assume he could grow into a 225-235 lb OLB.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

6’3 210 as a SR in HS. Coleman is still a JR. could easily push 200 by SR year and keep getting faster. Has an additional inch or 2 on his frame. 

• Plus1 1

Let's put it this way, with the understanding that all player comps are flawed and putting the cart before the horse - his ceiling at OLB is basically Randy Gregory. Leaner than you're used to seeing but freakishly fast and plenty strong despite not being 250 lbs. He also has an incredibly high ceiling at WR but it's easier to get production there than it is at edge rusher.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Malachi Coleman [Nebraska Commit]
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Malachi Coleman
  • Mavric pinned this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic