WR Malachi Coleman

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

62 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Coleman commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

My hope would be that we secure Malachi.  The more and more I watch his WR vids I just don't see the type of separation from what is perceived as inferior that would be needed/necessary at the next level.  Presently, it just seems to be his size that gets him a "window of opportunity".  Ya, we see that he for his size he is fast.  Yet, I don't really see the necessary speed to get open.  He may be fast in the 100 but he seems to lack the speed to really manufacture the opening [even at the high school level].

If it sounds critical, okay.  Yet, my thought is he might seem better suited at TE in college or as a DE or OLB.  I just don't think he is ever gonna have the quickness or speed to really create the space as a WR.  I think he could be a possession receiver type but again, I just don' t know if he could ever get open enough for the smaller window he would have in college.

I don't want to lose him as a prospect but for me he's got to be at another position other than WR if he is really gonna be productive.  By the way, I don't just think that would be true at Nebraska.  Really, wherever he commits I think it will be the same thing.  You can look at these past two videos, the prior one he's got a little guy on him and he throws a few moves on that kid and it's pretty obvious that he doesn't shake away that inferior kid at all.  He has the height and arm length to try to make the catch, yes, but he really doesn't create any sort of space.  In this last video he is just wide open and it isn't until after he gets running where you see how he might get a bit dangerous in open space.

17 hours ago, BigRedN said:

My hope would be that we secure Malachi.  The more and more I watch his WR vids I just don't see the type of separation from what is perceived as inferior that would be needed/necessary at the next level.  Presently, it just seems to be his size that gets him a "window of opportunity".  Ya, we see that he for his size he is fast.  Yet, I don't really see the necessary speed to get open.  He may be fast in the 100 but he seems to lack the speed to really manufacture the opening [even at the high school level].

If it sounds critical, okay.  Yet, my thought is he might seem better suited at TE in college or as a DE or OLB.  I just don't think he is ever gonna have the quickness or speed to really create the space as a WR.  I think he could be a possession receiver type but again, I just don' t know if he could ever get open enough for the smaller window he would have in college.

I don't want to lose him as a prospect but for me he's got to be at another position other than WR if he is really gonna be productive.  By the way, I don't just think that would be true at Nebraska.  Really, wherever he commits I think it will be the same thing.  You can look at these past two videos, the prior one he's got a little guy on him and he throws a few moves on that kid and it's pretty obvious that he doesn't shake away that inferior kid at all.  He has the height and arm length to try to make the catch, yes, but he really doesn't create any sort of space.  In this last video he is just wide open and it isn't until after he gets running where you see how he might get a bit dangerous in open space.

He has the speed and athleticism, the key that coaches will need to figure out is the ability to consistently put forth max effort every play. Since he is currently bigger, faster and stronger than the players facing him, he tends to slack off pretty often when on plays designed to get someone else the ball. I suspect his college coaching staff will pull the max effort out of him or he will not see the field very much. 

All that said, he has some amazing potential at this stage in his life.

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

He has the speed and athleticism, the key that coaches will need to figure out is the ability to consistently put forth max effort every play. Since he is currently bigger, faster and stronger than the players facing him, he tends to slack off pretty often when on plays designed to get someone else the ball. I suspect his college coaching staff will pull the max effort out of him or he will not see the field very much. 

All that said, he has some amazing potential at this stage in his life.

Enjoyed your thoughts and contribution.  

If you look at this last video that you see him blocking, I see a good TE type blocking there.  He also seemed to have been "all IN" on that blocking.  It's just my eye, but I can see him at TE, OLB [because he doesn't have that great speed in my opinion, it takes him a while to get up to speed] or at DE.  He would of course get slower at DE with another 40 pounds on him, but I think he would be able to keep a bit of quickness.

In it all ... yes, as you said, he will need good coaching and a mentality to be IN on every play.  Love to have him ... just not sure at this stage if he is a WR that gets open or could stretch the field.  He has a lot of growth in route running as I see it.

• Mavric changed the title to WR Malachi Coleman [Nebraska Commit]
  • Mavric changed the title to WR Malachi Coleman
  • Mavric pinned this topic
  • Mavric unpinned this topic