For those of you too young to remember...

knapplc

The mystery magic sauce?  The option......:D  Going back to what NU did to get those wins.  (Not the triple option it was part of. but not THE base)  Power running game and aggressive OL play.  IMHO, when Martinez has time he has the ability to get the ball to the playmakers he can make the throws and make things happen.   Six games in (time will tell), but this looks to be one of the best set of receivers/TE's I can remember at NU.  

Continue the trend and beat Michicken's a$$!

One game at a time. 

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

How do you not remember a 13 year period because of too much bad but then think this one game, led by a coach with significantly worse results than all of those coaches, feels like 24 years ago?

We haven't beat-down a conference foe like this since we beat Baylor 59-0 in 2000. Lotta bad, some good since then.

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

How do you not remember a 13 year period because of too much bad but then think this one game, led by a coach with significantly worse results than all of those coaches, feels like 24 years ago?

Hindsight? I know what those other 3 coaches did to the program. But with Frost, I have renewed hope he may finally be getting things headed in the right direction. The things that have been keeping this program down for the last two years have been so simple it hurts. Stupid penalties, atrocious special teams, offensive line woes…. I’m pretty sure any coach would be addressing those issues and I am now convinced Frost has been doing everything in his power to correct them. In hindsight, I know the issues plaguing the team were not being properly addressed by those other 3 coaches. Sometimes, sometimes there is only so much a coach can do. The results don’t always reflect the effort.  I’m satisfied the team is finally (like finally since about 2001) in good hands.

And it’s more than a 13 year period I choose to let get hazy. I even have a date, a Saturday in Boulder Colorado in November 2001,  and really the slide has been evident since TO retired. I experienced dominate football in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I know what it looks like. It hasn’t looked that way since 1997….but it did, even if only for one game, this past Saturday. I’ll cling to that.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hindsight? I know what those other 3 coaches did to the program. But with Frost, I have renewed hope he may finally be getting things headed in the right direction. The things that have been keeping this program down for the last two years have been so simple it hurts. Stupid penalties, atrocious special teams, offensive line woes…. I’m pretty sure any coach would be addressing those issues and I am now convinced Frost has been doing everything in his power to correct them. In hindsight, I know the issues plaguing the team were not being properly addressed by those other 3 coaches. Sometimes, sometimes there is only so much a coach can do. The results don’t always reflect the effort.  I’m satisfied the team is finally (like finally since about 2001) in good hands.

And it’s more than a 13 year period I choose to let get hazy. I even have a date, a Saturday in Boulder Colorado in November 2001,  and really the slide has been evident since TO retired. I experienced dominate football in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I know what it looks like. It hasn’t looked that way since 1997….but it did, even if only for one game, this past Saturday. I’ll cling to that.

It's the first time in a long time that both the O and D clicked and held up "their end of the bargain".  I remember 2009 and thinking if we still had Ganz, undefeated and another Natty, but we had no offense.....I'll be cautiously optimistic moving forward as I was after OU and MSU.  Whatever Frost did, it worked against North Western.  Unsure what all went into the week other than OL changes, better ST play and IMO, better play calling (things you could see). Those are A LOT, but am anxious to see if we have RJ and Yant start at RB or if we are back to a rotation.  Looks like we have all the receivers back and healthy.  That'll be huge.

Less than a TD dog at home against #9 Michicken ain't to bad.........

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I think we're all being way too overreactionary and there's just as good a chance we come out and lay several massive eggs the rest of the season, but I hope you're right and I'm resisting the temptation to drink the koolaid.

3 hours ago, lo country said:

It's the first time in a long time that both the O and D clicked and held up "their end of the bargain".

How long is a long time? Also curious how you define that - does a close win over a top team qualify just as much as a dominant win over a terrible team?

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I think we're all being way too overreactionary and there's just as good a chance we come out and lay several massive eggs the rest of the season, but I hope you're right and I'm resisting the temptation to drink the koolaid.

I’m not overreacting. My comments were simply that I liked what I saw and hadn’t seen that in a very long time. No one has proclaimed that we’re “back” or that there won’t be other issues.

You have to admit, regardless of opponent, that’s the best this team has looked in all facets in a very very long time. It doesn’t require chugging Kool-Aid or making proclamations about the future, just enjoy it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You have to admit, regardless of opponent, that’s the best this team has looked in all facets in a very very long time. It doesn’t require chugging Kool-Aid or making proclamations about the future, just enjoy it.

To me, that's overstating it. They didn't look miles better than they did against Maryland in 2019, for example.