Northwestern: What Did We Learn?

Mavric

Yant is the only runningback who has stood out to me at all this year.  Dude needs to get his touches.   Perfect fullback/halfback hybrid for our triple option offense. I just hope it's not an Imani Cross/Devine Ozigbo situation where we refuse to play our best back because he's a big back.   Which is a reasoning I'll never understand. 

To me that was the biggest difference in the offense.  Our new triple option offense doesn't work without that option.  

If Frost commits to running the option give him a lifetime contract.  We're done looking.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yant is the only runningback who has stood out to me at all this year.  Dude needs to get his touches.   Perfect fullback/halfback hybrid for our triple option offense. I just hope it's not an Imani Cross/Devine Ozigbo situation where we refuse to play our best back because he's a big back.   Which is a reasoning I'll never understand. 

To me that was the biggest difference in the offense.  Our new triple option offense doesn't work without that option.  

If Frost commits to running the option give him a lifetime contract.  We're done looking.

Imani Cross was never our best option at running back. Ozigbo wasn't a good back until he lost weight and added speed/quickness. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Corcoran; he slid to RT last night, and Benhart got benched. 

I’m not sure what Benhart’s issues are, he’s just not playing well. Both he and Piper have a lot of potential but have really struggled. I hope we can get those two figured out so they can contribute going forward. 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

No, no, no.  Frost is just an idiot for not playing the right guys enough.

Well not playing Teddy, Nouelli and Yant- maybe wasn't the smartest move most reasonable people think. :cheers Playing them seemed to make a pretty big difference last night. Wish he would have done it sooner. Idiot? Not sure that would be appropriate- less than effective and better choices, sure. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

While Yant obviously looked good last night I've been impressed with what Rahmir has done with his shot, those 2 give us a nice one, two punch. I think my biggest takeaway last night is when our O-line can open up some holes these guys can actually hit them!

• Plus1 1

1. The o-line changes were good, we'll see how good next week.

2. Chins defense is for real,  that group is playing with intensity I've not seen in a while.

3. Martinez can hit his receivers when not running for his life.

4. An 84 yard punt ? Our kickers have the ability.

5. WE HAVE LOTS OF TALENT ON THIS TEAM !  

6. I sense a change with frost, somethings up with him, (in a good way)

7. Don't know his name but we have a player that looks like a Viking. :D

The big thing that is missed is how bad Martinez throw was on the first play, but he uncorked it no less. The receiver made a nice adjustment and played through the ball to turn it into a big play. We have missed that confidence to let it rip in the past. It also helps to have a oline give you the time to make that throw.

Yant has a Le’Veon Bell feel when he was at MSU. Too powerful for secondary players to tackle cleanly and too quick for linebackers to square up on. Hope he continues to get good reps in the rb mix.

No special teams miscues is a fundamental key to having any prolonged success.

• Plus1 1