To all that didn't want to run the option!

ndobney

10 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Jamey Chadwell breaks down spread-option offense (usatoday.com) This is part of the reason that I have suggested Jamey Chadwell is who I would want at NU if Frost cant get this booger turned around. 

Throw in he has been a proven winner at all the places he has stopped.  Crazy thought, say Frost survives (and I hope he does) and O staff gets let go, would Chadwell come here as OC (complete control) for a large pay check?  Current salary $850,000/year.  Full disclosure, fan of his since Charleston Southern.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, lo country said:

Throw in he has been a proven winner at all the places he has stopped.  Crazy thought, say Frost survives (and I hope he does) and O staff gets let go, would Chadwell come here as OC (complete control) for a large pay check?  Current salary $850,000/year.  Full disclosure, fan of his since Charleston Southern.

He has always been a rebuilder and has an offense that allows a less talented team to equalize based on the offensive design. It also isn't the "boring" type of offense like the academy schools etc. I would prefer Frost gets over the hump this season and we are back to winning 8+ games a year. However if it all comes crashing down I want Chadwell above all others. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, FTW said:

Any scheme or wrinkle works great when you have the right personnel to work with. I find it may be tougher to run that hybrid triple option against faster defenses because NW is/was bad so I’m not getting too hyped up over it like most folks.

It also works well when you line up properly, avoid moving before the snap, avoid holding and above all, avoid putting the ball on the ground.  All of which have been elements in our prior losses.  Play design, scheme, personnel are all secondary to clean execution.  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

It also works well when you line up properly, avoid moving before the snap, avoid holding and above all, avoid putting the ball on the ground.  All of which have been elements in our prior losses.  Play design, scheme, personnel are all secondary to clean execution.  

I get all that what I’m saying is any scheme will work with the right Jimmy’s and Joe’s. All the other stuff you mentioned is coaching. To run Frost’s/Oregon triple option you have to have speed. My concern is trying that against teams who have players of equal or more speed. The Michigan’s, Ohio State’s, any top 25 P5 team.

It worked wonders at Oregon however they always struggled with Stanford who runs an old school big ten style power run offense and stop the run defense. That’s where I think HCSF triple option may struggle against. We have few burners on offense to do it. If anyone focuses just on 2AM and takes him out of the equation, I think we will have problems executing it consistently in this conference.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, FTW said:

I get all that what I’m saying is any scheme will work with the right Jimmy’s and Joe’s. All the other stuff you mentioned is coaching. To run Frost’s/Oregon triple option you have to have speed. My concern is trying that against teams who have players of equal or more speed. The Michigan’s, Ohio State’s, any top 25 P5 team.

It worked wonders at Oregon however they always struggled with Stanford who runs an old school big ten style power run offense and stop the run defense. That’s where I think HCSF triple option may struggle against. We have few burners on offense to do it. If anyone focuses just on 2AM and takes him out of the equation, I think we will have problems executing it consistently in this conference.

With clean execution, this program has the potential to win 8 - 10 games every season.  Your point is aimed at enlisting better personnel to run the same scheme (again in clean fashion).  Where that is helpful is in transitioning from a solid, consistent program into a contender.  Let's take the first step, whoever may be the coach, and then we discuss the second.

• Plus1 1

Regardless if it works against UM, it's one more thing they have to practice for all week.....Which means they won't be able to focus the D prep on a few simpler things....The option, even against a "faster" or equal D is hard to defend.  It's more than fast guys running sideline to sideline.  If it was that easy, we would have never won 3 NC's under TO.  Before people get all crazy, those teams top to bottom were better than we are now, did not run the option every down etc....But it did cause issues for the D's we faced.  I feel confident that UM put little work into thinking about Nebraska until the NW game...And even now, might feel like they can "just do their thing" and win....

• Plus1 2