I have to ask.......

25 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I read the whole read. When the argument that the coaches have been evolving the OL over the last 4-5 weeks was made, you responded that the coaches should have been doing that over the last 10-11 games. The new starting LT only being on campus for the previous 5 games really undercuts your point and instead supports the 4-5 weeks of evolving that you're arguing against.

And responding by saying I'm missing the point and then that I need to read the whole thread isn't making your case. 

Again, you're obviously missing MY point.... My case was made when HCSF had to step in and make a change that should have been made weeks ago, if not months ago....  with the players he made a change with OR DIFFERNT ONES...  The POINT is that Greg Austin is not doing or is incapable of doing his job...

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, twofittyonred said:

Again, you're obviously missing MY point.... My case was made when HCSF had to step in and make a change that should have been made weeks ago, if not months ago....  with the players he made a change with OR DIFFERNT ONES...  The POINT is that Greg Austin is not doing or is incapable of doing his job...

Not making changes on the OL until being forced is a disturbing trend. 2018, we got a lot better once Conrad got hurt and Austin was forced to move Farmer to Center. I have no inside info but really seemed like Frost was the one pushing to move Farniok to Guard. And then this year, maybe Prochaska and Nouili really weren't ready to take the jobs until this week. But considering how well they played it seems like it would've been worth a shot earlier. You don't want a revolving door, but feels like maybe he's just too loyal to the guys who win the job initially and doesn't want to drop them down the depth chart.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

I didn't miss your point. I think it's arguable whether HCSF actually stepping made a difference or not (I think it probably did) and whether those changes even could have been made weeks or months ago, which goes directly to whether your argument that the coaches should have done this 10-11 games ago. Your argument is pretty strongly undercut by the new starting LT not being here that many games ago. And you're not making any additional points to explain why that doesn't undermine your argument.

You could make another argument for why the 10-11 games is a better argument than the last 4-5 games or you could admit that's not a good argument in favor of your main point and make a different argument supporting your main point. Personally, I was leaning towards your point that Austin isn't doing a good job, but the 4-5 weeks evolving argument is a strong counter to your main point, But if you're not going to make any additional points other than to keep repeating your conclusion or blame others for not understanding, then I don't think you're going to convince very many.

I think part of it is the incredible lack of OTs we've had on the roster.  Jaimes was really the only legitimate one we had when Frost got here. Farniok, Gaylord and even Sichterman were being used there but weren't tackles.

Even now we probably only have at most three legitimate OTs - Benhart, Corcoran and Prochazka.  This is their thrid, second and first year here, respectively.  Offensive line takes the longest time to develop into legitimate threats, especially in the B1G.  I would think at least some of it was trying to find the balance between needing to get them to develop and not running them off if they get benched.

I really liked what I saw the other night.  However, I do think a lot of it was a large drop-off in explosiveness on the other side.  We'll see if we can keep it up.  Hopefully we continue to see improvement.  But it's not going to surprise me if we take a step back this week.

• Plus1 1

Is Northwestern's defensive line really that much worse than Illinois'? I really kind of doubt it.

Now Illinois might have come into that game jacked to the hilt and motivated, whereas maybe Northwestern came into our game with a lack of confidence and motivation and just didn't play well. I could maybe see that.

To me it seems like when we switched up the roster and had a fire lit under us we were better. I don't think I can just chalk up the great blocking only to Northwestern being horrible.

Because again...they can't be that much worse than Illinois on paper, IMO.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Is Northwestern's defensive line really that much worse than Illinois'? I really kind of doubt it.

To me it seems like when we switched up the roster and had a fire lit under us we were better. I don't think I can just chalk up the great blocking only to Northwestern being horrible.

Because again...they can't be that much worse than Illinois on paper, IMO.

Correct

Also is Northwestern worse than Fordham?

Worse than Buffalo?

Illinois?

That is the standard we are comparing against and this line was MUCH better than the one who played against those 3 teams. 

I was VERY impressed with Michigans defense- well coached, aggressive, physical. Test will be very difficult and NO ONE expects the same results as they had against NW

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I was VERY impressed with Michigans defense- well coached, aggressive, physical. Test will be very difficult and NO ONE expects the same results as they had against NW

And I think part of the unspoken problem with this season is the tough cross-divisional games we were dealt. All three are Top 25 teams.

The thing is, if we can't beat Michigan this year, it's completely ok. UM has gotten some of their offensive problems turned around and they are a much better team than the past two years.

The real question is whether we can beat Wisconsin, I think. I believe we can. That's the one we really need this season.

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I didn't miss your point. I think it's arguable whether HCSF actually stepping made a difference or not (I think it probably did) and whether those changes even could have been made weeks or months ago, which goes directly to whether your argument that the coaches should have done this 10-11 games ago. Your argument is pretty strongly undercut by the new starting LT not being here that many games ago. And you're not making any additional points to explain why that doesn't undermine your argument.

You could make another argument for why the 10-11 games is a better argument than the last 4-5 games or you could admit that's not a good argument in favor of your main point and make a different argument supporting your main point. Personally, I was leaning towards your point that Austin isn't doing a good job, but the 4-5 weeks evolving argument is a strong counter to your main point, But if you're not going to make any additional points other than to keep repeating your conclusion or blame others for not understanding, then I don't think you're going to convince very many.

AND AGAIN.... you are missing the point....  you are so stuck on the comment "10-11 games ago"...  I suggest you go back AGAIN and re-read in what context that statement was made... I dont care if it was teddy or jiminy cricket.... THE POINT IS IT SHOULD OF HAPPENED A WHILE AGO AND AUSTIN DIDNT DO IT...

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're very confusing.

You stated that this change should have happened over the last 10-11 games.

again, NOT what I said....   I SAID.... it should of been done 4-5 games ago and could of been done 10-11 if Austin was doing his job...  I ALSO said I wasn't talking about teddy SPECIFICLY.....  I suggest you read back as well... Maybe take a look at the original post....  

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

again, NOT what I said....   I SAID.... it should of been done 4-5 games ago and could of been done 10-11 if Austin was doing his job...  I ALSO said I wasn't talking about teddy SPECIFICLY.....  I suggest you read back as well... Maybe take a look at the original post....  

He didn't have the guys to make the change.

Not sure how you are missing the point.