Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

28 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I never said it did.  I said it caused a problem for Northwestern's QB.  You brought the NFL into it and then failed to really show what you were wanting to show.

You can argue that he should have done something different.  That's fine.  But he didn't.  What he did actually caused the problem.  That's not even debatable.  Just watch the video and see what happened.

You're welcome.

Ya, that comment about not causing a problem was in reference to the NFL videos which I just posted right before so….

• Plus1 2

I don't remember enough specifics about Morrison's running style from before this year.  He didn't have any carries for us.  But this is another pretty downhill run.

I know Austin talked a lot about that after last season.  Wanting a "downhill" running game.  Johnson definitely seems to be running more forceful that previously.  I presume Yant has always run that way.

But it definitely seems like there has been a concerted effort to drill that into the RBs.  Especially on those inside zone plays, find a seam and hit it as hard as you can.

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

One step to the left and he probably has a TD. 

Keeping your feet and balance when you are stepping out of a shoestring tackle is a tough skill to have. Only reason he ran into his guy was because the one NW defender got enough of his foot that he couldn't keep his balance enough to try to cut to the left. If he did it, it'd probably be one of the most underrated runs of Frost's era (probably longer).

11 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I don't recall 2AM running this.  I wonder if they ran it with Masker to see how it played out.  

They did= late in game. Maybe for a reason?

May or maynot see it again. Sometimes guys will run stuff late in the game that they dont even like to make the next team prep for more stuff. Once saw a team run Swinging Gate- 4 different plays out of it in a game they were up 35-6, just to screw with the next team they were playing- never ran it again the whole season. 

I've always liked that play- not a lot of teams run it. 

Sometimes it can really mess up the DT- now he's not coming upfield so fast. 

3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

They did= late in game

May or maynot see it again. Sometimes guys will run stuff late in the game that they dont even like to make the next team prep for more stuff. I've always liked that play- not a lot of teams run it. 

I remember Taylor Martinez having some pretty big runs off that play

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

@Mavric: Agreed on Morrison. He showed some good stuff in those clips.

It's no surprise that our backs are getting better as the games tick by; there are essentially four freshmen, and then Rahmir didn't get a lot of touches last year once Mills had already solidified himself as the starter at the tail end of 2019. They all just needed more experience in games, really.

A good back has to get yardage even when the holes aren't big. Saturday is almost definitely going to be one of those days.

Seems like we're getting closer there.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1