Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

Pretty surprised we haven't seen the triple mesh hooks combination much (at all?) this year.  That was kind of our go-to last year and it worked pretty well.

This is kind of similar.  I think if he goes with the timing throw to the left we probably get the first down.

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Pretty surprised we haven't seen the triple mesh hooks combination much (at all?) this year.  That was kind of our go-to last year and it worked pretty well.

This is kind of similar.  I think if he goes with the timing throw to the left we probably get the first down.

If the read was the top of the screen first and it looks like it is- then AM should have thrown it. Receiver was past the sticks and had a 4 yard cushion at the break. Protection was there early. 

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Mavric said:

I don't think Northwestern was really great on the DL.  That being said, if we can even be halfway between where we were previously and what we saw on Saturday, it'll be a huge difference.

They did do a good job of getting Yant around the ankles.

Their outside linebacker had a terrible fit on this play though. He kind of just runs into the back of his own D linemen for no reason. He should have plugged the gap.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

We did a pretty good job of holding the line but needed to get some freed up a little quicker.

Heinrich probably gets held more than anyone on the team.  Oklahoma had an egregious on right at the point of the run and MSU had a very similar one.  This guy jumped on his back like he was a mule. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Again, we don't get a sack but get good pressure.

I didn't seen Domann get tackled until just now.  I don't know what we have to do to get a holding call.

In the direct sight line of the referee who is only a few yards away. 

BIG officials and their reluctance to call Offensive holding penalties when we are on defense- has been very consistent. 

Ridiculous. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It is a screen play but I don't think he's supposed to let Tannor by that easily.  Another "pressure" that was close.

Unbelievably good play by Henrich.

RB got jumpy and ahead of himself. He's not supposed to set up that wide or shallow. Got to give the big guys a chance to block for you- which he did'nt. Nice play by our unblocked defender in space. Excellent burst and angle.