Squawking Hawks

4 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I really don't understand why all the hate for Iowa all of the sudden. I get their fanbase is annoying and maybe I'm just slightly older than some who harbor that hate, but Iowa really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. If you respect fundamental football, you should have a healthy respect for what Ferentz has been able to do over there. Outside of that, meh. 

Do you live with or have many friends who are Hawkeye fans? I moved to Iowa in fall of 2003. I pitied Iowa State. Didn't give two craps about Iowa. Upon learning I was a Husker fan, their fans drove me to hope they lost every single game in one season's time. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Hold up... are you Coach Frost, or a player? I mean, I appreciate the focus and the one game at a time mentality, but unless you're a coach or a player, not sure how your focus on Michigan is going to help. :dunno

It is everything.  It's silly to be debating Iowa fans about what we will do or not do when that is still 6-7 weeks away.  Iowa fans deserve all the chirping they have going [how many years have they beat us now].  We are not talented enough [even as fans], to have our focus anywhere else [as I see it].  The better we take in the next game the more all our collective energy focuses in on the now.  It really is wasted energy to focus on Iowa at this part of the season [even as fans].  Beating Iowa will mean nothing come this Saturday.  It's always a "day by day" that made the :bigredn: mean something.  I think the fan base can and does impact the focus.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is why what NU has been doing the last few years is so annoying.

Winning the west and having some easy cross-over games all but means a "great" season.  

Totally agree. With Frost's scheme/playbook/current skill player roster on offense, we should be dominating this division. But our systemic fundamentals issues has completely prevented that.

That, and then also (this year) having to play 3 of the 4 best teams from the East. Iowa only plays 1 of the 4 best teams this year.

With Wisconsin being in a drought again this year and Iowa's easy cross-divisional schedule the West title basically got handed to them before the year even began.

38 minutes ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I really don't understand why all the hate for Iowa all of the sudden.

Nah, no hate at all. Pure, objective analysis.   :D

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Do you live with or have many friends who are Hawkeye fans? I moved to Iowa in fall of 2003. I pitied Iowa State. Didn't give two craps about Iowa. Upon learning I was a Husker fan, their fans drove me to hope they lost every single game in one season's time. 

Im going to stop you right there.  Your right about all of this, and  i want there fanbase to lose every game.  I have a couple of kids who are special needs and we need to go to iowa city for them to get treatment.  Multiple times a year, it makes me sick to even go into that town.  But, the moment we do what your saying out loud they have won.  They will never be a nebraska, but there are living in your head myfriend and you need to let them squawk and be done with it.  Nebraska needs to do what they know they can do and just shut them up.  I feel your pain, but this isnt the way to go about it.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Oh don't get me wrong Iowa has bad corn and terrible drivers. From a football vantage point it's a giant meh from me and not much more. 

I believe, as many others do, that Iowa is way over rated. Top 20? Yes. Top 5? No. I do hope that the Penn State game this weekend is a good old school Big 10 football game.

Husker fans need to give us a bit of a pass on the “chirpiness”. Back when your team was good (pre-2000) your fans that lived over here had a real attitude against Iowa fans and our team. Looking down at us from the top of the mountain was easy. We then heard that the Huskers were going to crush the Big 10 and we all know how that has turned out. A bit of humility back in the date when on top May have led to more respect now. Maybe it is not right, but Hawk fans love to see the Husker fan base turn against the team and its Coaches. We are bored over here, so just something fun to watch.

I do believe that this may be the year that the Huskers win because much like other B1G teams, I think that Iowa is looking at it as an automatic win, and that is never good.

Iowa- it's an odd deal. Like the team- don't get their silly fans.  I worked the entire state for a good number of years, lived in DM. Great spots, Dubque, Iowa City/CR/Amanas in the fall. Great people, hard working etc. 

Lived in DM during our crushing dominating time- 94-97.  Yes they were very jealous, covetous and even a little hateful. Even though we weren't really playing much. I didn't care what the Hawks were doing-never crossed my mind. 

Now we are in the BIG- I totally respect and admire the job they've done. They aren't great but they get quite a bit out of the talent that they do have. Appreciate the development, good fundamentals, good defense, coaching, special teams etc. Some of their fans are real jackwagons- but I've never been one that is jealous or covetous of what success others have-if anything learn from it, admire it.  So I overlook those low information- green eyed jealous fans (sorry if I offended anyones feelings using those accurately descriptive words) and give Iowa football a well deserved tip of my cap. 

• Plus1 1