Historical Team Ratings

Mavric

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

There is also a sharp decline where Bill got fired - labeled as "Bo Pelini hired".  I'm curious about the sharp decline before that.

Bills first years?  You might be right but I don't remember Frank's teams ever being that bad... Could be wrong though.  So much sucking the last 20 years.

9 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Bills first years?  You might be right but I don't remember Frank's teams ever being that bad... Could be wrong though.  So much sucking the last 20 years.

There would seem to be a significant drop-off from playing for the National Championship in 2001 to going 7-7 in 2002.  Then we were 10-3 in 2003 but didn't have any really good wins and were blown out in the three losses.  We were back to 8-4 and 9-5 in Callahan's middle two years so I would think the steep drop has two be in that 2002-2004 range.  Just not sure where exactly.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There would seem to be a significant drop-off from playing for the National Championship in 2001 to going 7-7 in 2002.  Then we were 10-3 in 2003 but didn't have any really good wins and were blown out in the three losses.  We were back to 8-4 and 9-5 in Callahan's middle two years so I would think the steep drop has two be in that 2002-2004 range.  Just not sure where exactly.

03-04, to me, is a STEEP drop. Yes, 03 wasn't exactly an awesome year, but they did get 10 total wins. The offense was struggling, but Pelini was running a legit defense that was leading the nation in a few categories.

In 04, we lost to Southern Miss, a mediocre Kansas State team, a bad Iowa State team, and the worst loss in school history, the 10-70 nightmare in Lubbock. That game, in itself, probably should've gotten Callahan tarmac'd and Pederson shown the door the next morning. Nebraska football was a bulwark, a historical power that beat Rockne's famed 4 Horsemen, and all the history since.  Devaney's turnaround, Osborne's rock-solid consistency with the MILLIONS put into facilities, recruiting, coaching, etc. To get Tom Osborned ourselves by a bunch of 2/3 star guys; a national laughingstock overnight.  All to be topped off by losing to a mediocre cu squad that kept us out of a bowl game for the first time in what, 40 years? 

Yeah. Big drop.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

03-04, to me, is a STEEP drop. Yes, 03 wasn't exactly an awesome year, but they did get 10 total wins. The offense was struggling, but Pelini was running a legit defense that was leading the nation in a few categories.

In 04, we lost to Southern Miss, a mediocre Kansas State team, a bad Iowa State team, and the worst loss in school history, the 10-70 nightmare in Lubbock. That game, in itself, probably should've gotten Callahan tarmac'd and Pederson shown the door the next morning. Nebraska football was a bulwark, a historical power that beat Rockne's famed 4 Horsemen, and all the history since.  Devaney's turnaround, Osborne's rock-solid consistency with the MILLIONS put into facilities, recruiting, coaching, etc. To get Tom Osborned ourselves by a bunch of 2/3 star guys; a national laughingstock overnight.  All to be topped off by losing to a mediocre cu squad that kept us out of a bowl game for the first time in what, 40 years? 

Yeah. Big drop.

Yeah, I think it's probably the big drop off being 2002.  Has to be coming off playing for the natty.  Then flat with maybe a little improvement in 03.  But not the big bounce back that people like to claim it was.  Then another steep drop in 04.  Little bounce back in 05-06 before cratering again in 07.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I think it's probably the big drop off being 2002.  Has to be coming off playing for the natty.  Then flat with maybe a little improvement in 03.  But not the big bounce back that people like to claim it was.  Then another steep drop in 04.  Little bounce back in 05-06 before cratering again in 07.

This is how I see it, as well.  Small decline after TO retired in 1997, but stable through 2001.  Sharp decline with the 7-7 2002 season, with a small bounce back in 2003.  Down years in 2004-2007 (save for 05-06), followed by Bo's hiring and the growth in 2009 (and 2010 stability).  The performance declined, but stabilized in 2011-2014.  2015 and 2016 were slight declines from 2014, with the falling off the cliff in 2017.

• Plus1 2