Who will Win? Huskers vs Michigan - Poll

Who will win  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Went Michigan by 3 and I picked Husker ST are the reason for the difference.  Didn't say which unit on the winning team! :lol:

While the O line improved a lot last week,  they still aren't ready for a top 6 pass rush.  Our defense keeps it close, they have to throw to win,  but I suspect we lose the field position battle and give up too many hidden yards that create short fields.  Could go either way and comes down to the end but I still don't trust us in close games just yet. 

Johnson starts,  all about pass blocking.

GBR

1 minute ago, runningblind said:

Went Michigan by 3 and I picked Husker ST are the reason for the difference.  Didn't say which unit on the winning team! :lol:

While the O line improved a lot last week,  they still aren't ready for a top 6 pass rush.  Our defense keeps it close, they have to throw to win,  but I suspect we lose the field position battle and give up too many hidden yards that create short fields.  Could go either way and comes down to the end but I still don't trust us in close games just yet. 

GBR

Cannot find anything to disagree with here...in regards to the pass rush that is why this weeks game plan needs to be on point...rollout, play action, rpo, etc....we need to play 2 plays ahead not off schedule 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Huskers by 7

Our offense

Johnson

Johnson is oozing breakout potential

This is what I don't understand,Yant actually had a breakout game.  It seems like everyone one this board is just ignoring that.  It's bizarre. 

The story, and reality, was before Yant's coming out party we weren't getting much from the RB position and almost our entire running game was Martinez scrambling on broken pass plays.

Yant has actually stepped up and shown he's capable of carrying the load and people just want him on the bench?  Makes zero sense to me.

Shouldn't we be building on what has actually worked instead of reverting back to what hasn't?

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, The Dude said:

This is what I don't understand,Yant actually had a breakout game.  It seems like everyone one this board is just ignoring that.  It's bizarre. 

The story, and reality, was before Yant's coming out party we weren't getting much from the RB position and almost our entire running game was Martinez scrambling on broken pass plays.

Yant has actually stepped up and shown he's capable of carrying the load and people just want him on the bench?  Makes zero sense to me.

Shouldn't we be building on what has actually worked instead of reverting back to what hasn't?

I'd be fine with Yant starting and/or getting the bulk of the carries, but I can say the same about RJ. NW is pretty bad, so I'm not putting a lot of weight into that 1 performance. And RJ has looked capable of picking up a blitz, which I haven't seen from the the backs. I guess what I'm saying is I haven't seen enough from any of the backs to be too invested in any of them being the main back.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I can see why people think it was a breakout game.  He basically had one breakout run where he had the most space to work with of any RB this year.  

I really liked what I saw from Yant and hope he continues to produce.  But other than one play he didn't do any better than any of our other RBs - in fact he did a little worse.  Credit him for making that play but I don't think one play makes him significantly better than everyone else all of the sudden.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I can see why people think it was a breakout game.  He basically had one breakout run where he had the most space to work with of any RB this year.  

I really liked what I saw from Yant and hope he continues to produce.  But other than one play he didn't do any better than any of our other RBs - in fact he did a little worse.  Credit him for making that play but I don't think one play makes him significantly better than everyone else all of the sudden.

Agreed. Add to that the carousel at RB we have seen this year and I am not sure we can even be confident in him getting time this week.  The good news, it is great to have 3+ "above average" backs to choose from. It is a luxury looking for 'elite' that we haven't had since Abdullah imo.

• Plus1 1

Picked NU by 8-14 because I don't love our chances in a close one.  There are a lot of great things we have shown over the past 4 games, but we haven't yet proven that we can execute with games on the line nor that we can coach to win close game. I would love to be wrong if needed and we win by 3, but would enjoy the experience a lot more if we are just up by 10 with 1:30 left. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I can't agree with this. If your going to compare Yant to the other backs but not include his longest run then you need to not include the longest run by the other backs too.

So, taking away each back's longest run yields:

Yant - 12/63yd = 5.25yd/carry

Johnson - 11/51yd = 4.64yd/carry

Martinez - 7/25yd = 3.57yd/carry

Stepp - 4/20yd = 5.00yd/carry

Morrison - 4/18yd = 4.5yd/carry

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yep- the second play on this clip is just like what all the other RBs are doing? He runs right over the LB.  You watch the game and analyze every play right> That play was posted on a thread you commented on :B)

https://www.newschannelnebraska.com/story/44874245/nebraska-dominates-run-game-in-homecoming

19 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I can't agree with this. If your going to compare Yant to the other backs but not include his longest run then you need to not include the longest run by the other backs too.

So, taking away each back's longest run yields:

Yant - 12/63yd = 5.25yd/carry

Johnson - 11/51yd = 4.64yd/carry

Martinez - 7/25yd = 3.57yd/carry

Stepp - 4/20yd = 5.00yd/carry

Morrison - 4/18yd = 4.5yd/carry

Yes, I realize it isn't fair to take out his longest run and not everyone else's. That's not what I'm trying to point out.  I'm just saying if he had 12 carries for 63 yards I don't think that would really be considered a breakout game.  That's a nice game but nothing that much different than what we've seen from other backs.  And I don't think it's very repeatable to rely on 64 yard runs to sustain the level of success that he had.

I really like Yant.  I said that before.  I think he and Johnson are a great combination going forward.  And I think we have a couple other guys who can also contribute.  I just don't think having one big run qualifies him as suddenly being significantly better than any of the other backs we have.  

Some people thought Stepp had established himself as "the guy" after he ran for 101 yards against Fordham and no one else had more than 40.  Now he can barely see the field.  I just think it's too early to start making pronouncements like that.

• Plus1 1

I think Michigan is a really good team this year, and I think they'll really hit their stride down the back half of the season.

Their defense can carry them pretty far. I don't know how many points we're really capable of putting up on them, just have no idea how to predict that.

But I do think our defense matches up well against their offense. Think it'll be a good game.

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think Michigan is a really good team this year, and I think they'll really hit their stride down the back half of the season.

Their defense can carry them pretty far. I don't know how many points we're really capable of putting up on them, just have no idea how to predict that.

But I do think our defense matches up well against their offense. Think it'll be a good game.

I don't see our Huskers carrying this off.  Looking over the MSU and Okie games I have hope because those issues that lost those two games seem to have been successfully addressed.  BUT, the "seems to have been successfully addressed" comes via a pretty bad Northwestern team (great timing for us schedule-wise).    And now, undefeated Michigan. 

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

if Rutgers was able to score more than 20 points one would think we could too.