*** 2021 Game 7 "Expert" Picks: Michigan at Nebraska ***

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's a pretty tight window to try to be correct.  Aren't they still at -3.5?  So, he's calling for Michigan to win by 3 or less.

That's what I thought but he's a Rutgers guy so who knows what's going on in his brain. I mean we could end up with a 21-20 or 14-13 Michigan win, but I don't see that happening 

18 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Saw this one a bit ago - 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2949010-college-football-picks-week-6-predictions-for-every-game

No. 9 Michigan (5-0) at Nebraska (3-3), 7:30 p.m. ET

It might be time to embrace the possibility that Nebraska is the second-best team in the Big Ten West.

That seemed impossible after their Week 0 meltdown in the loss to Illinois, but the Cornhuskers gave both Oklahoma and Michigan State a serious run for their money on the road and won their other three games (Fordham, Buffalo and Northwestern) by a combined score of 136-17.

Of particular note in advance of this showdown with Michigan, Nebraska has allowed just three rushing touchdowns all season and has limited its two most recent Big Ten foes to 56 carries for 108 yards. Meanwhile, Michigan's once-dominant rushing attack has tapered off considerably as of late, held below 3.0 yards per carry by both Rutgers and Wisconsin.

If that mutual recent trend continues, there could be a major upset brewing in Lincoln.

Michigan has held all five of its opponents to 17 points or fewer, but we're also talking about five offenses that rank outside of the top 60 in the country in total yards per game. With Adrian Martinez playing as well as he has been over the past five weeks, this is going to be the stiffest resistance Michigan's defense has faced thus far.

Head coach Scott Frost will finally get a big W with the Huskers.

Prediction: Nebraska 28, Michigan 23

Yeah - our defense matches up against their offense really well.

On offense for us I really think it's about pass blocking. I don't think we're going to run against them to win, I think it'll be throwing. I'm not talking about 75/25 pass/run play call ratio but I just mean that when we're meaningfully moving the sticks it'll probably be passing.

I'm hoping we run a ton of the double tight end sets and trade off having Vokolek & Allen sneak down the seam or down the edges for passes. Best of both worlds; one tight end and a running back stays home to block while one goes out for the reception.

56 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yeah, I'm not sure how 112 rushing yards on 45 attempts inspires confidence in your offense.  Without some major special teams gaffes (which we are admittedly capable of) and/or 3-4 turnovers deep in our own territory...I don't see how Michigan puts up 42 against this D.

I also don't see them scoring 45, but Wisconsin was giving up 1.0 YPC going into that game. ND had 32 carries for 3 yards, 20/39 if you take out the QBs. It was a pretty decent performance taking that into account.

But Rutgers also held Michigan to 2.9 YPC, and while their defense looks much improved I think ours is better. I wouldn't guarantee less than 3 YPC because all it takes is one long run to break the average, but they're not going to get the 350 yards/7 per carry they were getting in the first 3 games.

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

On offense for us I really think it's about pass blocking. I don't think we're going to run against them to win, I think it'll be throwing. I'm not talking about 75/25 pass/run play call ratio but I just mean that when we're meaningfully moving the sticks it'll probably be passing.

I'm hoping we run a ton of the double tight end sets and trade off having Vokolek & Allen sneak down the seam or down the edges for passes. Best of both worlds; one tight end and a running back stays home to block while one goes out for the reception.

I think we need to expect that Michigan is going to make things very hard.  They're going to kill some drives with some big TFLs and sacks.  Key for us is to hit some big ones and not make the BIG mistake.

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I think we need to expect that Michigan is going to make things very hard.  They're going to kill some drives with some big TFLs and sacks.  Key for us is to hit some big ones and not make the BIG mistake.

What is going to be frustrating is that I don't think they are going to give 2AM a lot of time to find WRs down field.  He's going to have to be on point with his scrambles, roll outs...etc.  our O line play is going to be so important in this game.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What is going to be frustrating is that I don't think they are going to give 2AM a lot of time to find WRs down field.  He's going to have to be on point with his scrambles, roll outs...etc.  our O line play is going to be so important in this game.

We'll see if the swing passes get brought back for this one for this very reason. Or the one we saw against Oklahoma where Vokolek & Allen are the lead blockers for the short pass to the flat for Rahmir, etc.

I've always said that for as much as the fan base came to revile that play in 2019, it's a great play in the spread offense toolbox. But it's about the QB putting it right out there in front of the receiver and the blockers getting their eyes upfield to make the right contact to give our guy space to smash up the field.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

I've always said that for as much as the fan base came to revile that play in 2019, it's a great play in the spread offense toolbox. But it's about the QB putting it right out there in front of the receiver and the blockers getting their eyes upfield to make the right contact to give our guy space to smash up the field.

We have MUCH better edge blocking this year. Different year, different skill set available- changes the play mix. I don't think most reasonable fans hate the play- like me, they hated that we continued to call a play that we couldn't execute- even though the counts- spacing said we should call the play.

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

We have MUCH better edge blocking this year. Different year, different skill set available- changes the play mix. 

Yes.

And this is only speculative but I really believe Lubick has played a measurable role in getting the right looks and better execution out of this team since his arrival as well.

I believe he is bringing in that element of maximizing a scheme/playbook that fits the skill sets of the players.

One of our biggest problems on offense is simply penalties that kill drives. We just have got to stop doing that in big games.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes.

And this is only speculative but I really believe Lubick has played a measurable role in getting the right looks and better execution out of this team since his arrival as well.

I believe he is bringing in that element of maximizing a scheme/playbook that fits the skill sets of the players.

One of our biggest problems on offense is simply penalties that kill drives. We just have got to stop doing that in big games.

Allen has improved his blocking also. With the better size and athleticism of a Manning, Toure, Brewington and even Betts blocking/catching- I hope they aren't snake bit on throwing it when it's there. The smoke- to any of them or the swing to an able pass catcher in Johnson. 

Some site called 'Showboat Analytics' predicts Meatchicken by 11:

https://www.showboatanalytics.com/wp-content/uploads/CFB-2021-Wk6-M-Michigan-at-Nebraska.pdf

One thing I notice is that this gives us a much lower strength of schedule than Michigan. I talked about this in another post, where FPI gave us a high SoS and Sagarin gave us a low SoS. I guess it just comes down to having a school like Fordham on the schedule bringing down the average. But I would still say that our 'tough' opponents are stronger than Michigan's 'tough' opponents. We've played #5 Oklahoma and #11 Michigan State. Michigan's only opponent that's even in 'others receiving votes' territory in the rankings is Western Michigan. Guess it just comes down to how they weight things.

• Plus1 1