Northwestern: What did THEY learn?

Forgive me, but it is Wednesday and I am STILL basking in the glow of the Huskers performance in all three phases of the game (and, most significantly, our reshuffled OL performance and balls-to-the-wall playcalling).

I'm enjoying reading the "takes" from the Northwestern journalists at The Daily Northwestern. Here are three:

Patrick Andres, Senior Staffer
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2021/10/03/lateststories/northwestern-defense-looking-for-answers-after-nebraska-runs-for-434-yards-and-seven-touchdowns/

Drew Schott, Gameday Editor
https://dailynorthwestern.com/2021/10/03/lateststories/slow-start-nebraskas-35-point-first-half-leads-to-northwesterns-second-conference-loss/

Lawrence Price, Assistant Sports Editor

https://dailynorthwestern.com/2021/10/03/lateststories/football-northwestern-falls-56-7-to-nebraska-on-the-road/

Was that game a corner-turner for the Frost program? Certainly we all saw how lethal this offense CAN be (and what we expected him to bring when he was hired from UCF).

I think we now need to ask ourselves if we want to interrupt measurable progress (without the special teams gaffs, we could be looking at a 5-0 Michigan coming to a 6-0 Nebraska in Lincoln this weekend) and start from scratch with an unknown staff. This staff has clearly recruited pretty well, considering our standing in the country... robbing talent from Georgia and Florida (for example). We see Nebraska is a place where players get a chance to walk-on and where homegrown talent wants to play again.

The Michigan game is another one of those "measuring stick" games, but THIS IS one where I think the players are sick & tired of coming out on the SHORT end of that stick. This will be MUST SEE action and I think the State of Nebraska is on the collective edge of their seats to see if the Cornhuskers can harvest the results of a whole lot of blood, sweat, and tears over the past several years. I also feel like Frost is close to getting his MoJo back (hopefully not in an Urban Meyer sort of way). I believe we've got the horses and the scheme, boys. Can we execute and focus two weeks in a row? They eyes of the State are upon them.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Lots of people I know were just plain old frustrated. Losing games the same way, making the same silly but fixable mistakes that never seemed to be addressed. No one wants HCSF to fail, we all want NU and him to be successful. And he has recruited well, considering our poor win/loss record. 

What we're looking for is significant signs of progress. Yes, there are signs here and there, there are also signs of sameness.  For anyone that has played sports you know teams get in the habit of winning, they get in the habit of losing too. Often times it has little to do with skill- Ive coached teams that very few people would want walking into the stadium that won consistently and been part of teams that dramatically underachieved.

The winning teams- just figured out how to win games, never felt they were out of it, always confident and didn't choke in the clutch. No matter how bad it was, we figured that we would somehow win. NU seems they are on their heels a bunch, not confident, not winners? 1-14 on last offensive drives to tie or win games? No first downs in Overtime games. That can't continue to happen- losing games on special teams, penalties and turnovers can't continue to happen- there needs to be progress. 

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You are effusive in your praise for other teams and go out of your way to find ways to take shots at the Huskers.

This seems odd to me.

Sorry, Im not a styrofoam finger 13 year old who knows little about the game and just is all about mindless cheerleading the cool aid drinking.  Ive been going to games since 1970 and have a lot more invested time and moneywise than you and many others here. 

As a fan of all College, HS ball I'm always looking for cool things others are doing to learn from etc. I appreciate well played football- no matter where it's being played and have no jealousy/hate toward any team. At this juncture NO team should be taken for granted- remember this team lost to Troy and a terrible Illinois team. 

I find it odd you seem to downplay what Yant or the New Oline mix is doing. I realize you get really uptight when someone disagrees with you- its just a difference of opinion. Its an opinion board, bound to happen.  

34 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I appreciate well played football- no matter where it's being played and have no jealousy/hate toward any team.

This is a thread created specifically to highlight how well we played against Northwestern.  But you choose to bring up things that had nothing to do with this game.  

I don't think the above claim holds water.

• Plus1 5
41 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Sorry, Im not a styrofoam finger 13 year old who knows little about the game and just is all about mindless cheerleading the cool aid drinking.  Ive been going to games since 1970 and have a lot more invested time and moneywise than you and many others here. 

Ok, boomer.  :laughpound

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is a thread created specifically to highlight how well we played against Northwestern.  But you choose to bring up things that had nothing to do with this game.  

I think you have issues with people that disagree with  you. Can take a pic of my season tickets in front of this screen if that helps you. Or my Nebraska room with all the tickets to the title games- game pics, My TO ball and letter from him. pic of him and I. Really don't care. I doubt you even go to the games

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Well this was in the thread and I was responding to it

"Posted 2 hours ago

"I think we now need to ask ourselves if we want to interrupt measurable progress (without the special teams gaffs, we could be looking at a 5-0 Michigan coming to a 6-0 Nebraska in Lincoln this weekend) and start from scratch with an unknown staff."

Does that help you- is it ok to comment on a post- that includes something you factually disagree with? I guess not. 

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

As a fan of all College, HS ball I'm always looking for cool things others are doing to learn from etc. I appreciate well played football- no matter where it's being played and have no jealousy/hate toward any team. At this juncture NO team should be taken for granted- remember this team lost to Troy and a terrible Illinois team. 

I find it odd you seem to downplay what Yant or the New Oline mix is doing. I realize you get really uptight when someone disagrees with you- its just a difference of opinion. Its an opinion board, bound to happen.  

When did we play Troy this year?

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 2