Northwestern: What did THEY learn?

A guy I taught with is now in his 70's.  He loves to hate on Husker football, it is weird, like he loves the Huskers but he also loves to hate on them.  He hates every QB now, hates the RB's, hates the defense but can't wait to watch/listen to the game.

If they win, he finds things to hate on.  If they lose, he is happy that he is pissed.  

I have known him for 20+ years and I am not sure if I can think of one player that he has liked in that time.

• Plus1 3

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

A guy I taught with is now in his 70's.  He loves to hate on Husker football, it is weird, like he loves the Huskers but he also loves to hate on them.  He hates every QB now, hates the RB's, hates the defense but can't wait to watch/listen to the game.

If they win, he finds things to hate on.  If they lose, he is happy that he is pissed.  

I have known him for 20+ years and I am not sure if I can think of one player that he has liked in that time.

Sounds like someone I have no desire to watch a game with. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

So watching games with him is not bad, he is super into it and cheers for them.

It is after the game when the non-stop b!^@hing starts, it is really is amazing.

I used to work with an old guy who I had to travel with a lot. We would end up watching games together on the road. It was early 2000s. He couldn’t appreciate a win. He would b!^@h all week about how horrible Jammal Lord was….even though we won. 

it ruined me watching games with people like him. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I used to work with an old guy who I had to travel with a lot. We would end up watching games together on the road. It was early 2000s. He couldn’t appreciate a win. He would b!^@h all week about how horrible Jammal Lord was….even though we won. 

it ruined me watching games with people like him. 

Oh my god, JL was a QB that Husker fans(like the ones we are talking about) LOVED to hate.

I still think that t-mart is holds the record for most hated Husker QB.  Dude could go 26/32 for 325 yards 4 TD's and 100 yards rushing with a TD and "those fans" would b!^@h.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Just now, teachercd said:

Oh my god, JL was a QB that Husker fans(like the ones we are talking about) LOVED to hate.

I still think that t-mart is holds the record for most hated Husker QB.  Dude could go 26/32 for 325 yards 4 TD's and 100 yards rushing with a TD and "those fans" would b!^@h.

No doubt - have we ever really had a universally loved QB though? T-Mart probably got the most uncalled for flak, and AM is closing in on that. But Armstrong also took more hate than he earned. Lee and Lee maybe took more hate than they deserved, but they weren't very good so I feel like the consensus was against them in the first place. Ganz I suppose? Zac Taylor? Although people were probably still mad we didn't have a dual threat when Taylor was playing.

But yeah, T-Mart, Armstrong, and Lord all got hated on way too much. None of them were perfect, but a lot of fans would ignore all positives to focus on the weak spots.

3 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Ok Millennial   chuckleshuffle

WHY CANT WE ALL BE FRIENDS DAMMIT, EVEN AFTER A VICTORY CAN WE NOT HAVE JUST ONE WEEK WITHOUT CUT THROAT RESPONSES?!?!

ITS TIME WE BANDED TOGETHER AND SYNERGIZE THIS PENT UP SEXUAL FRUSTRATION AND DIRECT IT AT MICHIGAN FOR WHATS BOUND TO BE A MASSIVE TOP 10 UPSET.

Just now, gossamorharpy said:

WHY CANT WE ALL BE FRIENDS DAMMIT, EVEN AFTER A VICTORY CAN WE NOT HAVE JUST ONE WEEK WITHOUT CUT THROAT RESPONSES?!?!

ITS TIME WE BANDED TOGETHER AND SYNERGIZE THIS PENT UP SEXUAL FRUSTRATION AND DIRECT IT AT MICHIGAN FOR WHATS BOUND TO BE A MASSIVE TOP 10 UPSET.

WAIT WHAT?!?!?! damn you autocorrect!!!!!! 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

I'd love to be optimistic, but it's hard.  So very hard.  Game 6 was perfect. The ones prior, close but no cigar.  I am hoping that game 7 is what we have seen thus far.  A solid D with an improving offense and OL.  Hoping ST's improves as well.  

Michigan beat Rutgers 20-13....IMHO, we are much better than Rutgers.  Michigans others wins include 2 Bowl Subdivision schools.  Illinois should've been a win, but our 2 other losses came against two top 10 teams (MSU #11). I think its safe to say we have played a tougher schedule to date......

The option, while not our base is becoming a staple.  It's hard to defend when teams do not have a lot of time.  Does Frost have more wrinkles up his sleeve moving forward?  The option is the secret sauce........Even if not being run, the Michigan D will have to go 11 on 11.  Hope that Michigan doesn't plan to spy AM like OU. If they do, it should always leave a guy 1-1.  AM has to make them pay when he sees that.

I think you mean 2 other Power 5 wins for Michigan because all 5 of their games are against FBS schools.  It's a crap shoot trying to say "they beat this team by 7 and we're better than them etc".  It's different every week and anything can happen.  We have good losses, we have a hard schedule, both are true but no one cares about that at the end of the day if you still lose more than you win.   It's time to win or the narrative doesn't change.  We CAN do it,  the question is WILL we in Saturday night.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Are we just forgetting the existence of Sam Keller? Cause if so, I'm down

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I think you mean 2 other Power 5 wins for Michigan because all 5 of their games are against FBS schools.  It's a crap shoot trying to say "they beat this team by 7 and we're better than them etc".  It's different every week and anything can happen.  We have good losses, we have a hard schedule, both are true but no one cares about that at the end of the day if you still lose more than you win.   It's time to win or the narrative doesn't change.  We CAN do it,  the question is WILL we in Saturday night.

Western Michigan and Northern Illinois are G5. That is what I meant.  we had Fordham and Buffalo.  I agree that we can't use "we beat so and so" and they beat them by this......to determine who will win.  That's why we play.  I just think that even in our losses, we have played a tougher schedule.  But like Nelson said, tired of being "this close".  Saturday we either put up or shut up.....

15 hours ago, skers83 said:

Alot of heartbreakers to Oklahoma back then. How would you sneak in?

As you know the stadium has changed a lot. Early in- early 70s, there was only a 10 ft high fence with barbed wire. Back then there would be literally 4-5 people deep in the endzones behind the fence. Then there were also a small set of bleachers in the endzone corners under the stands that really weren't assigned to anyone. There were sometimes 4-500 of us. 

The 70 Missouri game, they added an 8 foot fence in front of the 10 ft fence and put cops inbetween. Only a handful were able to get in and the crowd got pissed. The band comes marching in and everyone- probably 6-700 people just locked arms and came in right behind them. People were pushing from the back to the point those in the front had to move forward or get trampled- about a dozen band members got trampled- all muddy uniforms- they were pissed- everything was grass and mud then- little concrete. I was 10 and pretty small in second row- so I got pushed forward, kind of concerned about being trampled etc

The next week the extra fence was down. AND there was a huge contingent of cops where the band went in.  We would rush in behind when they would bring the ambulance in sometimes. Or organize with another group, they would scale the fences in one area- to get the cops to go there- while we would scale the fences in another. 

Then they built the present wall- that really about ended all the sneaking in. They also sealed up and reinforced all the weak spots in the North End.  There was a tiny power box about 6 feet up in the south end wall. My buddy would boost me up so I could stand on it, then I would grab the wire and pull myself up. Once on top you had to grab the edge, lower yourself down, jump. Had to do it quickly because back then cops were stationed everywhere and they would chase you. I was caught just twice- they talk to you, let you go- no big deal just try again. 

I always went with the same kid and we viewed it as an adventure- it was a blast. Back then they would let everyone in at the half. He was kind of chicken- wouldn't take many chances- about half the time he waited until half. He quit coming once they put the wall up. . I think only one time in 6-7 years of doing it did I ever have to wait till halftime. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

As you know the stadium has changed a lot. Early in- early 70s, there was only a 10 ft high fence with barbed wire. Back then there would be literally 4-5 people deep in the endzones behind the fence. Then there were also a small set of bleachers in the endzones that really weren't assigned to anyone. There were sometimes 4-500 of us. 

The 70 Missouri game, they added an 8 foot fence in front of the 10 ft fence and put cops inbetween. Only a handful were able to get in and the crowd got pissed. The band comes marching in and everyone- probably 6-700 people just locked arms and came in right behind them. People were pushing from the back to the point those in the front had to move forward or get trampled- about a dozen band members got trampled- all muddy uniforms- they were pissed- everything was grass and mud then- little concrete. I was 10 and pretty small in second row- so I got pushed forward, kind of concerned about being trampled etc

The next week the extra fence was down. AND there was a huge contingent of cops where the band went in.  We would rush in behind when they would bring the ambulance in sometimes. Or organize with another group, they would scale the fences in one area- to get the cops to go there- while we would scale the fences in another. 

Then they built the present wall- that really about ended all the sneaking in. They also sealed up and reinforced all the weak spots in the North End.  There was a tiny power box about 6 feet up in the south end wall. My buddy would boost me up so I could stand on it, then I would grab the wire and pull myself up. Once on top you had to grab the edge, lower yourself down, jump. Had to do it quickly because back then cops were stationed everywhere and they would chase you. I was caught just twice- they talk to you, let you go- no big deal just try again. 

I always went with the same kid and we viewed it as an adventure- it was a blast. Back then they would let everyone in at the half. He was kind of chicken- wouldn't take many chances- about half the time he waited until half. He quit coming once they put the wall up. . I think only one time in 6-7 years of doing it did I ever have to wait till halftime. 

Good stories. If I had grown up in Lincoln I probably would have been doing the same thing. :koolaid2:

• Plus1 1