*** Official Michigan Game Thread ***

Mavric

9 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

If it’s that hard for you to be a fan, there are 106 other teams to cheat for. As a Nebraska fan you have a lot to hang your hat on, appreciate that and hope it will come back. It could be worse, you could be like an Illinois fan, a team that has never done anything. Point is, it’s a game, played by kids. If it ruins your life, it’s time to find a new focus

I hate when fans say this. Just stop. Criticism is to be expected. It doesn't make the person any less of a fan. Not everyone is going to view things or react the exact same way.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I hate when fans say this. Just stop. Criticism is to be expected. It doesn't make the person any less of a fan. Not everyone is going to view things or react the exact same way.

Of course criticism is to be expected, but if all you have is negatives of the team, then move on. No one is forcing you to watch the games or be a fan. If all you want to do is see the negative, then just jump on someone else’s bandwagon. Been through lots of ups and downs with this team over the last 40+ years, and I live in Michigan, so I am ill hear more about this than most of you (for the msu game too). But for the first time in a long time, we are getting respect as a good team, other fans now see us as a threat, not a joke. In my mind that is progress. Im just sick of the “we have to win it all now” people. It will come, give it time, we are on the right path. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, HuskerJax said:

I agree, it’s frustrating as hell, but if you’re not old enough (I’ll guess you’re not) there was a time in the 80s when we just could never get over that hump. And people got mad, wanted to fire Osborne, could not beat Oklahoma…..and then the 90s happened. And it was glorious. The point is, as much as you want things to be immediate. They aren’t. Be patient and enjoy the game. Eventually, it will

Pay off. If you can’t handle it, jump

ship and cheat for another team that is winning now. But, they will

have hard times too. It’s the way the cycle works

Yeah this is really like the 80s all those losing season and losing to the Illinois of the world. Just like the 80s.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

Yeah this is really like the 80s all those losing season and losing to the Illinois of the world. Just like the 80s.

As great as you think the 80’s were, the reality of it is, we were in the Big 8. Us, Oklahoma, and six joke teams. The college football of now, it completely different than the 80’s. Nebraska  can’t be one of those overnight stories. We are not in a recruiting hotbed. It takes time to build the program.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, HuskerJax said:

Of course criticism is to be expected, but if all you have is negatives of the team, then move on. No one is forcing you to watch the games or be a fan. If all you want to do is see the negative, then just jump on someone else’s bandwagon. Been through lots of ups and downs with this team over the last 40+ years, and I live in Michigan, so I am ill hear more about this than most of you (for the msu game too). But for the first time in a long time, we are getting respect as a good team, other fans now see us as a threat, not a joke. In my mind that is progress. Im just sick of the “we have to win it all now” people. It will come, give it time, we are on the right path. 

What do you mean "win it all now"? We are in year 4 and if we are lucky we make it to 6-6. Win it all now is year 1 and 2. Are we closer to winning than we have been in the past? From a consistency standpoint of being close without a cigar yes but we have shown flashes of being almost a winner throughout Frosts tenure. The amount of 1 score games in his tenure tells you that. 

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, HuskerJax said:

If it’s that hard for you to be a fan, there are 106 other teams to cheat for. As a Nebraska fan you have a lot to hang your hat on, appreciate that and hope it will come back. It could be worse, you could be like an Illinois fan, a team that has never done anything. Point is, it’s a game, played by kids. If it ruins your life, it’s time to find a new focus

It's true that Illinois has never done anything, but that 2-5 Illinois team, that has lost to the likes of UTSA, Virginia, Maryland and Purdue, nonetheless beat the Huskers this year. And if you think being a fan means living in the distant past and not facing the current reality, then maybe YOU should find one of those other 106 teams to root for.

Merely stating an opinion that happens to be critical and realistic doesn't disqualify anyone as a fan. My honest opinion is that the glory days will not return for NU. A decent year here and there? Yes. An occasional close game or even an upset of a top 10 team at home? Yes. But mostly just an average program from year to year? Yes.

There are simply too many intrinsic disadvantages, including playing in a league with stronger programs that not only have top-shelf traditions, but also natural and fertile recruiting grounds in highly populated states – particularly Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. That's a big reason that the past 10 years have been a depressing slog, and nothing can change that major disadvantage.

But saying all of this doesn't disqualify me as a fan who is willing to accept that reality.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1