Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

I learned you take points when score 0-0, not really, but you do, even though I like aggressiveness, it's not like it was 4 & goal from inside 1.  

Since this team became a run, play action offense, they've become a good team.  But that Illinois loss still haunts them & the Michigan State loss still stings.  

This team is close, but we're going to have to see how the season ends to see what that really means.  Minnesota is a BIG game.  

AM has been good this year, but he continues to find ways to kill this team w/untimely turnovers.  Defense has been very good, but they can't get necessary stops when game on the line, and this team continues to look inept in 2:00 minute opportunities that determine games.

I really hope they close out strong and ride this push to next season, because if Frost isn't retained, I fear NU is back to square one.  

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, ndobney said:

It is completely fair right now to ask if Martinez is a loser. He has lost a ton of close games. Some qbs are winners as they just have a nak for winning.

As a person Martinez is a winner. I truly love his spirit. As a player, its hard to argue with the number of losses he has as a starter as well as many key mistakes in close games.  

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

What I didn't learn is how do guys like Yant, Betts, Manning shine one game and go full milk carton the next.  

Our D is playing stout but imagine if the tackling was on par with our  2009 team.

We just have to win the next two and it's on for the stretch run.  

Bitter losses either crater a team or galvanize it.  We're going to find out soon.  

Do you play fantasy football? Guys disappearing happens all the time. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

I learned you take points when score 0-0, not really, but you do, even though I like aggressiveness, it's not like it was 4 & goal from inside 1.  

Since this team became a run, play action offense, they've become a good team.  But that Illinois loss still haunts them & the Michigan State loss still stings.  

This team is close, but we're going to have to see how the season ends to see what that really means.  Minnesota is a BIG game.  

AM has been good this year, but he continues to find ways to kill this team w/untimely turnovers.  Defense has been very good, but they can't get necessary stops when game on the line, and this team continues to look inept in 2:00 minute opportunities that determine games.

I really hope they close out strong and ride this push to next season, because if Frost isn't retained, I fear NU is back to square one.  

I love your post overall, but regarding your last statement, I respectfully disagree. I think Frost has brought in great talent and would leave the cupboard pretty stacked for the next guy if it would come to that. I hope we can finish 4-1 which would give Frost his first winning season.

8 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

missed illegal formation on Nebraska’s first TD

missed offsides on Michigan interception

took 2 Michigan TDs off the board

overturned a fumble 

didn't allow Michigan to sub on TD run

21 Nebraska points came off ref errors 

in fairness they agreed PI call was bad…

I can't even begin to describe the wrongness.

• Plus1 4

The narrative is building that “we are close” so unless there is a meltdown in the final games it is weird but I believe it is true that Frost saved his job with 3 close losses. We weren’t supposed to beat OU, Michigan State, or Michigan and should have won 2 of the 3. 

The defense has played well but we have many seniors there so I expect a drop off next season. It has been unfortunate the offense has not been able to help the defense. The defense struggles to get pressure against better teams and pays for it.

The offense is basically AM so you live and die with him. We need weapons. Losing key weapons on offense (Wandale and McCaffrey) has lost us games this year. That hurts.

The refs sucked. No whining just straight facts. We all saw the absurdity. I have always loathed how teams are protected and this is true in the BIG for OSU and Michigan. I have seen way too much over the years. It’s true certain brands are protected. I am a Lakers fan and admit there were key calls in crucial playoff games over the years where we got the benefit of the calls. This was happening with Michigan tonight.  Life is unfair and it sucks.

GBR

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I love your post overall, but regarding your last statement, I respectfully disagree. I think Frost has brought in great talent and would leave the cupboard pretty stacked for the next guy if it would come to that. I hope we can finish 4-1 which would give Frost his first winning season.

It won't come to that 

Guaranteed.

• Haha 2

1. Michigan has some GREAT RBs. Not good- GREAT. Those guys ran HARD- they were stopped short on third down twice and kept fighting for first downs where they ultimately scored on the drive and wouldn’t have had they went down. Kudos to them

2. While I think Michigan is very very good- if they want to be elite they need to let McCarthy step in at QB and see what he can do

3. NU wore down a defense and quite frankly Michigan had zero answers for NU in the second half. People can say what they want but I was very confident in us getting into FG range if we didn’t turn it over (oops) on that second to last drive

4. Oliver Martin really helps our receiving corps out A LOT. He’s extremely reliable and makes tough catches. Plus- he catches punts and saves us field position. The one fair catch caught inside the 10 was tough but he knew it right away which was good to see

5. I loved Yant being benched for messing up the direction he ran on the handoff. Mental mistakes like that cannot happen

6. We ran a few swing passes and.. nobody got mad because they gained yards

7. Defense needs a pair of pass rushing OLBs/DEs. Been calling for it for over 5 years it feels like. It’s the one thing holding us back from being elite IMO and part of the reason that while we tend to get off the field in “normal” situations- we struggle mightily in “obvious passing” situations

8. Damion Daniels is a DUDE

9. Tackling has gotten much much better. Like A LOT

10. Without it coming off as revisionist history- I didn’t like going for it on the first drive the second time. I will say however- that play is one of NU’s “bread and butter” plays. QB sweep to the right has been something we’ve run in goal to go/short yardage situations all year long and repeatedly had success with (AM had 2 TD runs on that play last weekend). Rahmir didn’t get a great block on their edge defender and he made a great play to stop AM short. That stuff will happen when you’re playing a top 10 team- credit to UM for standing tall

11. If NU continues to play with that level of effort and energy- we’re going to beat a lot of teams. I’m absolutely distraught at how that game ended but don’t let the ending take away the overall level that NU played at. Nebraska is a dang good football team. I don’t know what caused the corner to be turned but it’s fun to see. Now it’s time to build on this, pummel a bad Minnesota team into oblivion, and get a well deserved off week after that. Overall I’m proud of the way NU played in this one and if you’re not then I don’t know what else you were expecting that would’ve satisfied you (other than the final result being a W- which we all obviously wanted too)

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

38 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I do agree with you, my concern would be in this era of transfer portal, roster would be undone overnight.

• Plus1 1

Once the refs (for both sides) decided to swallow their whistles we actually had a good game to watch. So many “play is under review” and “upon replay” it was boring and sucked any play by actual f’ing players out of the game. Glad the refs made 2nd half adjustments and let them play. 

defense is so aggressive and good but only can be asked to do so much. The other team had it really dialed in and out-called us a few times 2nd half. But we responded well also. 

we are finally f’ing competitive. Finally. 

3 top 10 teams to the wire which we could’ve (should’ve) won. These games woulda been blowouts in yrs prior. 

we absolutely have turned the corner. With AM back next season and fully depthed out, I honestly feel like we could be in the playoffs w a conference championship to show for it. 

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, I am I said:

Once the refs (for both sides) decided to swallow their whistles we actually had a good game to watch. So many “play is under review” and “upon replay” it was boring and sucked any play by actual f’ing players out of the game. Glad the refs made 2nd half adjustments and let them play. 

defense is so aggressive and good but only can be asked to do so much. The other team had it really dialed in and out-called us a few times 2nd half. But we responded well also. 

we are finally f’ing competitive. Finally. 

3 top 10 teams to the wire which we could’ve (should’ve) won. These games woulda been blowouts in yrs prior. 

we absolutely have turned the corner. With AM back next season and fully depthed out, I honestly feel like we could be in the playoffs w a conference championship to show for it. 

Usually it takes me at least 3-4 days to start drinking kool-aid again, you just took it to a new level. Unfortunately my fear is we are close this year, but we lose a ton on defense and I just don’t see why Adrian would come back. Then next year the excuse will be that “we’re young”. 

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The next guy... you mean like Pelini did with future NFL players dotting the roster that he and his staff added? We know how the next guy turned out and it's taken Frost several years to repair and replace that damage. At this stage, it would be a poor idea to seriously consider any sort of replacement. We now realize we can be a top team again, just need to stay after it and continue to believe that we're capable.