Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

.  I once again knew we would squander our opportunity to win.  Didn't even enjoy the 4th qtr.  I knew what was to come.  I just didn't know how we would do it this time.

Man you must have a horrible time. I just don't get why people think this way. Oh my team is tied in the 4th qtr. I'm not excited because I'm thinking we are going to screw it up. Have some damn optimism.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Ok totally made up penalty here, but I'm flagging this for delay of reply for a disconcerting post. Like the refs I just totally made that crap up too.

I have no idea how disconcerting talk is a delay of game BUT when I played many decades ago, you could get a penalty if the defense called out signals during the snap count after the offense was “SET”.  I assumed that was the penalty but it’s still bewildering.

50 minutes ago, I am I said:

Yeah, the defense is super 6 guys. But who has been waiting will be an experienced group with fresh/soph guys who’ve been here 2-3 yrs. 

The Offense, w Martinez back will be so stacked. 

don’t judge too quick what we could be next year, we will be stacked. 

let’s focus on this year…we can literally beat any team this season left on our schedule. We have absolutely turned the corner. 

This team is close. Some disappointing aspects that burn me and were the result of the loss. There are individual, unit, coaching mistakes, and it sucks, but this program is close to turning the corner. It friggin stinks, but it’s the fine details that are derailing us and we’ll have 5 more chances to get it right. I have faith in this program. 

I am going to be that guy, but I think Michigan was spotted 6-10 points on quite questionable calls. With that said, the game would have been played differently and yet NU still found another way to lose :(

7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Adrian Martinez is the biggest Greek tragedy in NU history. I love the guy, but it's amazing how bad s#!t happens to him all the time. 

It's not that it happens to him.  He just happens to choke in those moments something like 100% of the time.

Nobody in their right mind thought he was going to march his team down the field and win it with 3 minutes left and 3 timeouts.  If it wasn't a fumble it would have been an INT.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Zaimejs said:

This is the longest corner to be turned in the history of corners. 

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

We still don't know if we are going to turn said corner. We could be a decade away from turning it. Hell we may never turn it. 

Maybe it’s one of those dastardly roundabouts. 

Or a football Thunderdome……one team enters, no team leaves.

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you on crack? We aren’t in any of these games without him. Fine, you want to get rid of his untimely turnovers and sacks, you also have to get rid of everything he does to keep us in these games. He’s the best we have by a mile and probably will be next year also if he returns. Yeah it hurts to lose games the way we do but we’re getting blown out without him.

To be honest if that’s true then I am pretty concerned about the status of our program. Is the rest of the team that bad that we need Martinez to lose close games instead of getting blown out? How can you say we are on the doorstep to turning the corner as a team then also say we get blown out without Martinez? I don’t think one player should make that big of a difference if we truly are close as a TEAM. So if Martinez leaves after this year- your saying next year we fall off the map and are not good anymore? Again that’s a huge problem, it seems every team we play can go 2-3 deep on QB spot when they play us and execute just fine. So are we doing horrible job developing and recruiting? 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I learned we were **this close** when we almost beat Iowa and OSU 34 months ago. And we’re still **this close**. And in 34 months we might be **this close** and some people are just cool with that. 

Well, I understand this type of post very well.  My guess is folks who saw this year as 7+ wins or more think that Nebraska can/should go up against Top 10 teams and win [at least at this stage].  I understand.  

I was a 4-8, 5-7, 6-6 type guy [pretty negative to board standards].  6-6 was my pipe dream  as the schedule looked tough [except for adding Fordham].  I can see us winning three more games which would be a great season and actually improvement.

I have been absolutely mind blown to see us in these games with a chance to win.  The kids are playing hard.   Sure, we are making mistakes.  I get that frustration.  Yet, to fire Frost now seems like we would be so close and then start over.  

In this one, we even came out in the third with some adjustments and better play.  AM had the first down on the fumbled ball.  Surprised he didn't just get down instead of trying to take on 3-4 defenders.

Overall, the pessimistic mindset I've had toward the program has now gone away and there is a flicker of not only hope but belief that we will win.  I'm believing that we win at least three more games.  I can say that might be four.  If we went 4-5 and kept playing this hard I'd be tickled pink on this season and see 8-9 wins next season.

I'll be curious and interested in the rest of this season.  We literally have a great stretch in the next 5 games to take the program to new places.  I think we will rise up.  If we don't, and go 1-4 or 2-3, then I will be frustrated with not just Scott but the team.  I'm believing in the best for this coach and team.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

Did u see Iowa today? While I feel both them and penn st overrated to begin with there’s no f#&%ing way we beat them when our quarterback is a complete liability in close games 

I did. Penn State was exposing their defense before the quarterback was injured. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Well, I understand this type of post very well.  My guess is folks who saw this year as 7+ wins or more think that Nebraska can/should go up against Top 10 teams and win [at least at this stage].  I understand.  

I was a 4-8, 5-7, 6-6 type guy [pretty negative to board standards].  6-6 was my pipe dream  as the schedule looked tough [except for adding Fordham].  I can see us winning three more games which would be a great season and actually improvement.

I have been absolutely mind blown to see us in these games with a chance to win.  The kids are playing hard.   Sure, we are making mistakes.  I get that frustration.  Yet, to fire Frost now seems like we would be so close and then start over.  

In this one, we even came out in the third with some adjustments and better play.  AM had the first down on the fumbled ball.  Surprised he didn't just get down instead of trying to take on 3-4 defenders.

Overall, the pessimistic mindset I've had toward the program has now gone away and there is a flicker of not only hope but belief that we will win.  I'm believing that we win at least three more games.  I can say that might be four.  If we went 4-5 and kept playing this hard I'd be tickled pink on this season and see 8-9 wins next season.

I'll be curious and interested in the rest of this season.  We literally have a great stretch in the next 5 games to take the program to new places.  I think we will rise up.  If we don't, and go 1-4 or 2-3, then I will be frustrated with not just Scott but the team.  I'm believing in the best for this coach and team.

We have shown we can compete against upper level teams this season. We need to beat Minnesota, Purdue and Wisconsin. Considering we have now gone 0-4 in 1 possession games this year I hope we get out of our own way in the remainder of games. I want to go into the Iowa game 6-5 and we SHOULD. if we lose to minnesota this is turning into another 4-8 year I worry and that isnt actual improvement. I would prefer we go 7-5 with a win against tOSU and even more so Iowa. 

3 minutes ago, Caveman said:

I did. Penn State was exposing their defense before the quarterback was injured. 

I think our offense is perfectly suited to beat Iowa honestly. I dont see their offense doing a damn thing against our D. 

9 hours ago, huskerfan333157 said:

1. Our fanbase whines more about refs than any other fanbase 

2.  Play calling was better in the second half.

3. Martinez would have had a 30 yard gain if he would have went left instead of straight. Dude is a good player but he crumbles under pressure and can't make the plays to win the game.

4. Defense played a great game.

5. Offensive line is looking much better.

6. Frost needs another year.

I'm with you on all of that with a bit of an issue about the D.  :thumbs

And I can't STAND the wimpy, sissified, non-HUSKER whining about officiating by any Husker fan.  We need ADULTS out there playing and coaching and cheering as fans, adults don't blame officials in games where we had chance after chance to exploit and take over the game.  We've all seen some weird crap calls (thinking about Texas extra seconds at the end of a game, Buffs 5th down, and many more) but our D, our beloved Blackshirts, could not stop that top 10 team last night to the tune of 459 ground out and air delivery yards.  That was the game, not the stupid calls.