Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's not that it happens to him.  He just happens to choke in those moments something like 100% of the time.

Nobody in their right mind thought he was going to march his team down the field and win it with 3 minutes left and 3 timeouts.  If it wasn't a fumble it would have been an INT.

Its just sad you think this way. Have some faith in the best player on our team for a change instead of s#!tting on him every opportunity you get

• Plus1 4

Losing like that over and over really sucks but man that was a hell of a football game. Any unbiased observer would tell you that was a fun entertaining game to watch. Don't know how many times we've been on this stage and embarrassed ourselves. At the end of the day we were not expected to win this game. Many thought after week 0 this game would be ugly in Michigans favor. If we could beat the teams we are supposed to and play the other teams like this we will be getting back to where we want to be. 

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

1.  Our MLB's failed to cover the TE across the middle all night.

2.  Michigan is a good team.  Good lines.  Somewhat more athletic than we are as a team (although we're close) and light years more so than NW.

3.  B1G teams with good special teams play, win close games more often than not.  Michigan did.  Also, Iowa.

4.  Harbaugh is still a D-bag.  He spent the entire night arguing with officials.

5.  Big ten officials are pathetic.

6.  I once again knew we would squander our opportunity to win.  Didn't even enjoy the 4th qtr.  I knew what was to come.  I just didn't know how we would do it this time.

7.  Lincoln Police still make no attempt to assist with post-game traffic flow.  

I'm not that doom and gloom, enjoyed the 4th quarter and hoped like hell that this was where we finally turn the corner. But undeniable history shaped my expectation of what would happen. Our O has failed time and again in these crunch-time situations, and the rare time they did score on a last drive it was Vedral at qb. Haven't been much better at even grinding out the clock when we need to. Hopefully we're playing good enough ball to avoid being in a similar situation against Minn. Win there and we're back at .500, still on a reasonable track to make a bowl 

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, URSS said:

Tackling was poor allowing far too many yards and first downs after first contact.

The offensive line still has trouble blocking up the middle for short yardage.

I agree with you but our defense was tired. I felt they did well under the circumstances.  Our oline has looked better the past few games than they did against Illinois and fordham.

What I learned: 

Yes Frost and crew have shown progress.  Not the kind that we need in this conference to contend, though, apparently.  We've won three games this season against Fordham, Buffalo, and Northwestern.  We've lost to Illinois, Oklahoma (SEC but still as formidable as B1G), Michigan State, and Michigan.  We still have Ohio State and Iowa out there waiting, along with Minnesota and Wisconsin.  Purdue may be our last win this season.   Hell I don't know, we sure contend in individual games, then lose them (thus not contending in the conference).

I think that our coaches have maximized what we are capable of with these players.  That's the progress. 

38 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Its just sad you think this way. Have some faith in the best player on our team for a change instead of s#!tting on him every opportunity you get

He isn't wrong at all he's just being realistic and he definitely isn't saying Adrian Martinez is a bad kid, but what he saying is 1000% true. Some qbs like Tom Brady, get them the ball at the end of the game in a two min offense and it's game over. Last night it was one of those games of whoever had the ball last should win and we had the ball last. However we didn't have a Tom Brady or even a Cade McNamara, we had Adrian Martinez, and Martinez has proven countless times when you need to score at the end of the game or in a two min drill he simply breaks down. It's fact, it's why we can't win overtime games it's why we can't we close games. Brady and Rodgers have it and guys like Kirk Cousins and Adrian Martinez don't they are choke artist

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, ndobney said:

He isn't wrong at all he's just being realistic and he definitely isn't saying Adrian Martinez is a bad kid, but what he saying is 1000% true. Some qbs like Tom Brady, get them the ball at the end of the game in a two min offense and it's game over. Last night it was one of those games of whoever had the ball last should win and we had the ball last. However we didn't have a Tom Brady or even a Cade McNamara, we had Adrian Martinez, and Martinez has proven countless times when you need to score at the end of the game or in a two min drill he simply breaks down. It's fact, it's why we can't win overtime games it's why we can't we close games. Brady and Rodgers have it and guys like Kirk Cousins and Adrian Martinez don't they are choke artist

"Nobody in their right mind" could have faith in our best player. If that mindset is being realistic then you can go ahead and be the realist. I'm good on that. I'm not writing Martinez off as a choke artist. He is a good player who consisently plays well enough to have us in games with top 10 opponents. 

• Thanks 1

Our coaches say they trust players, but not really since Yant only had a few carries. Don’t understand that decision. Nor the decision to constantly run up the gut without running the option much. Almost like they were trying to trick Michigan or something.

I also have ptsd from special team failures…What else can explain Frost going for it on 4th and 1 that early in the game?! He must have been concerned that Culp couldn’t make it.

We weren’t outclassed or overwhelmed by Michigan (or anyone we played this year) which has been nice. I can watch a full game, not turn the channel by halftime.

Our defense occasionally forgets that people run with their legs as they kept trying to knock them over at their shoulders instead of wrapping up.

We are about 5 plays per game away from being 7-0. Which creates a lot of hope for me. 

And finally, I love this board and all of the posters. Both the sunshine pumpers and Debbie downers… because it’s all about the passion for this team and the hurt and hope we all have inside. It brings me back again and again despite 5-7, 4-8. Thank you all!!

oh yeah, and Muck Fichigan!!

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

"Nobody in their right mind" could have faith in our best player. If that mindset is being realistic then you can go ahead and be the realist. I'm good on that. I'm not writing Martinez off as a choke artist. He is a good player who consisently plays well enough to have us in games with top 10 opponents. 

Anytime we needed a drive vs Illinois Adrian fell flat missing wide open wr etc. Vs Oklahoma he failed to finish off drives that lead to 3 missed fgs. Vs MSU he crumbled at the end of regulation and then threw an int in overtime which lead to an MSU victory. Vs Michigan he gets the first down then fumbles it. Leads to a Michigan victory. As an encore he gets 1:24 left and the ball then proceeds to overthrow 2 wide open wr leading to a turnover on downs. That is just this year, and he has improved many more examples throughout his tenure. A choke artist is a person that finds different ways to loose close games. Explain to all of us how you are being realistic and not writing him off as a choke artist cause that's exactly what he is. Not that he's a bad kid or even a bad player but he is a choke artist. 

6 minutes ago, ndobney said:

Anytime we needed a drive vs Illinois Adrian feel flat missing wide open wr etc. Vs Oklahoma he failed to finish off drives that lead to 3 missed fgs. Vs MSU he crumbled at the end of regulation and then threw an int in overtime which lead to an MSU victory. Vs Michigan he gets the first down then fumbles it. Leads to a Michigan victory. As an encore he gets 1:24 left and the ball then proceeds to overthrow 2 wide open wr leading to a turnover on downs. That is just this year, and he has improved many more examples throughout his tenure. A choke artist is a person that finds different ways to loose close games. Explain to all of us how you are being realistic and not writing him off as a choke artist cause that's exactly what he is. Not that he's a bad kid or even a bad player but he is a choke artist. 

All the failures are all his fault and no other player contributes or crumbles or doesn't do their job. I get it, he is the quarterback. But this idea that all of the offensive woes in crunch time are on him is so myopic. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but most of the time thats because we ask him to do it all for us imo. This offense struggles in the crunch and Adrian gets all of the blame. 

It’s always difficult to process these type of losses. On one hand, I do take solace in how our boys fought against a very good team and how that should translate into wins against the lesser teams on our remaining schedule. But on the other hand, the B1G is a grind. As long as the opposing team has a pulse (sorry NW), the games will be hard fought and that’s why we are doomed to fail. You want to know why Scott Frost is abysmal in one possession games? It’s because his teams routinely commit mistakes in the fourth quarter- interceptions, qb fumbles, drive killing penalties, or special teams blunders. If we need a score to win, we are incapable of running a two minute drill. If we just simply need to run out the clock, we cannot move the chains. Heaven forbid we reach overtime. When is the last time we scored after regulation? Our offense just seems to freeze in the clutch.

I am actually resentful of the phrase, “We keep finding new ways to lose.” There’s a commonality. Most of team, except the defense, cannot execute when the game is on the line and the blame rests at the top with Scott Frost. Obviously, it’s not an easy fix and I worry that Frost’s time is running out. He may fix it eventually, but will he have the same caliber of recruits at that time. I shudder to think about our offense when Martinez leaves. 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

All the failures are all his fault and no other player contributes or crumbles or doesn't do their job. I get it, he is the quarterback. But this idea that all of the offensive woes in crunch time are on him is so myopic. Does he make mistakes? Yes, but most of the time thats because we ask him to do it all for us imo. This offense struggles in the crunch and Adrian gets all of the blame. 

They are all his fault he is the one making the mistakes he is crumbling under pressure no one else. Maybe there are others that would crumble under pressure but they don't have as much pressure on them cause they are not the QB. At the end of the day QB is the one position you can't have crumble under that situation and he does 1000%. So he should get all the blame that's life of the QB

Just now, ndobney said:

They are all his fault he is the one making the mistakes he is crumbling under pressure no one else. Maybe there are others that would crumble under pressure but they don't have as much pressure on them cause they are not the QB. At the end of the day QB is the one position you can't have crumble under that situation and he does 1000%. So he should get all the blame that's life of the QB

Ok well if thats how you feel that can be the end of our exchange. Have fun being the realist. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Caveman said:

It’s always difficult to process these type of losses. On one hand, I do take solace in how our boys fought against a very good team and how that should translate into wins against the lesser teams on our remaining schedule. But on the other hand, the B1G is a grind. As long as the opposing team has a pulse (sorry NW), the games will be hard fought and that’s why we are doomed to fail. You want to know why Scott Frost is abysmal in one possession games? It’s because his teams routinely commit mistakes in the fourth quarter- interceptions, qb fumbles, drive killing penalties, or special teams blunders. If we need a score to win, we are incapable of running a two minute drill. If we just simply need to run out the clock, we cannot move the chains. Heaven forbid we reach overtime. When is the last time we scored after regulation? Our offense just seems to freeze in the clutch.

I am actually resentful of the phrase, “We keep finding new ways to lose.” There’s a commonality. Most of team, except the defense, cannot execute when the game is on the line and the blame rests at the top with Scott Frost. Obviously, it’s not an easy fix and I worry that Frost’s time is running out. He may fix it eventually, but will he have the same caliber of recruits at that time. I shudder to think about our offense when Martinez leaves. 

I don't know if Nebraska has ever had a single season this tough.....but damn it's fun to watch this team since they can compete with anyone