Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I learned:

1. There are no moral victories as losing still sucks

2.  We are really pretty good - just not consistent enough

3. Play calling is puzzling- why do you give Yant only 4 carries and Betts only one touch after what they did against NW??

4.  Scott Frost is stubborn - why do you keep running up the gut when it wasn't there all night?

5.  R Johnson is a good well rounded back

6. Big 10 ref crew can be horrible -  joint possession call and the pass interference call on a uncatchable ball against JO JO - both :facepalm:

Northwestern and Michigan are two very different defenses 

We put 29 on Michigan.  That's not bad playcalling......

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think they are still pretty high on Hutmacher.

And Ruud has quietly done a great job with the ILB crew.  Heinrich and Reimer are playing well and Honas has already said he's coming back.

The LB crew didn't even understand their fits when Frost arrived.  Remember Minnesota?

We're good.

It's got to be at DE. Nebraska needs a guy to get sacks, hurries, and cut stop a little more. Hutmacher isn't that type of player. Ruud and the defensive staff are safe in my eyes and quite frankly becoming an elite collections of coaches. But I am not judging based on piss poor performances. I am talking about making that 5-10% jump. The front seven collectively needs just a little more speed. Nebraska has a few guys who are just good enough to make the play they're being asked. We need one or two guys who can add splash to that. 

One guy they need to reexamine during the offseason is Ty Robinson. He is too good to not be more of a factor. I watch him closely and imo I would start to have him drop weight. Ty at 285 with proper fundamentals should be a monster. At 310, he is lumbering around and tiring out. 

31 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

It's got to be at DE. Nebraska needs a guy to get sacks, hurries, and cut stop a little more. Hutmacher isn't that type of player. Ruud and the defensive staff are safe in my eyes and quite frankly becoming an elite collections of coaches. But I am not judging based on piss poor performances. I am talking about making that 5-10% jump. The front seven collectively needs just a little more speed. Nebraska has a few guys who are just good enough to make the play they're being asked. We need one or two guys who can add splash to that. 

One guy they need to reexamine during the offseason is Ty Robinson. He is too good to not be more of a factor. I watch him closely and imo I would start to have him drop weight. Ty at 285 with proper fundamentals should be a monster. At 310, he is lumbering around and tiring out. 

Hutmacher was in response to your Damion Daniels type.

Every team in the country covets DEs.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

The play calling in the first half was way too conservative and, because of that, we were behind 13 at the half.  Our first drive looked good in the first half, but for the most part we abandoned the option play and did not make many attempts to go deep which would have loosened up the Michigan defense.  The play calling in the 2nd half was outstanding but I would like to see 4 full quarters of strong play calling, especially when we are playing a top 10 team.  

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

The PI was terrible. The non review on their 50 yd pass that set them up in the red zone. The first they were spotted on their TD drive before half that would have kept the clock running. I tried to look and see the chop block on Jurgens and couldn't tell what they called that for. 

This wasn't quite as bad but was the closest a game has felt like the A&M games in terms of ref interference. 

Jurgens cut the LB, it wasn’t exactly successful but he attempted to. 

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I learned:

1. There are no moral victories as losing still sucks

2.  We are really pretty good - just not consistent enough

3. Play calling is puzzling- why do you give Yant only 4 carries and Betts only one touch after what they did against NW??

4.  Scott Frost is stubborn - why do you keep running up the gut when it wasn't there all night?

5.  R Johnson is a good well rounded back

6. Big 10 ref crew can be horrible -  joint possession call and the pass interference call on a uncatchable ball against JO JO - both :facepalm:

I think this is a very good list. Some other items to add include:

1.  The defense had its worse performance since Week 1 against Illinois.  While they certainly played tough, they had more missed tackles than I can remember in a long time.  

2.  Special teams actually performed well overall.  The punting game looked good as well as the return coverage game.  The biggest mistake (that I recall) was failing to down a beautiful punt inside the 2 yard line.

11 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The play calling in the first half was way too conservative and, because of that, we were behind 13 at the half.  Our first drive looked good in the first half, but for the most part we abandoned the option play and did not make many attempts to go deep which would have loosened up the Michigan defense.  The play calling in the 2nd half was outstanding but I would like to see 4 full quarters of strong play calling, especially when we are playing a top 10 team.  

Internet coaching at its finest 

Frost's playcalling had more to do with how Michigan defended the option than "loosening" the defense 

Your post is so vague it's not even funny.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

Internet coaching at its finest 

Frost's playcalling had more to do with how Michigan defended the option than "loosening" the defense 

Your post is so vague it's not even funny.

You are quite funny with the routine comments, whether it's a "Just Stop" or "Internet Coaching at its finest."  If you really do not have anything substantive to add to the conversation, I would recommend just sitting it out. :) 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You are quite funny with the routine comments, whether it's a "Just Stop" or "Internet Coaching at its finest."  If you really do not have anything substantive to add to the conversation, I would recommend just sitting it out. :) 

I can be as substantiative as you'd like to go.

3 hours ago, CyHawk said:

Absolutely love seeing the option! Some say that it cannot work today, but I think that it can. The way back to prominence may be to get back to basics. It seemed to work well but they did not stick to it. 

I believe that because of Michigan’s speed on the edges they were very picky when they used it. I think the play calling in general for the entire game was brilliant. The first half set up the the second half. And given our talent discrepancy, this was a brilliantly coached game from our side. 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

First half playcalling was bad you do realize we put all 29 pts up on Michigan in the 2nd half which is more than half of what we put up against NW the entire game. Frost is a capable playcaller and needs to do better at times

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ndobney said:

First half playcalling was bad you do realize we put all 29 pts up on Michigan in the 2nd half which is more than half of what we put up against NW the entire game. Frost is a capable playcaller and needs to do better at times

Yep.....Northwestern and Michigan.....exactly the same.

Good gawd some of you posters......

• Haha 2