Michigan: What did we learn

ndobney

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Yep.....Northwestern and Michigan.....exactly the same.

Good gawd some of you posters......

11 minutes ago, ndobney said:

First half playcalling was bad you do realize we put all 29 pts up on Michigan in the 2nd half which is more than half of what we put up against NW the entire game. Frost is a capable playcaller and needs to do better at times

You both have points tbh. We weren't gonna score 29 on Michigan in each half. But the playcalling was so basic in the first half against Michigan. I don't know wth we were doing there. It was like we were trying not to mess up. If we could have scored even 10 it might've made a huge difference.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

You both have points tbh. We weren't gonna score 29 on Michigan in each half. But the playcalling was so basic in the first half against Michigan. I don't know wth we were doing there. It was like we were trying not to mess up. If we could have scored even 10 it might've made a huge difference.

What do you mean by "basic"?

Michigan had the personnel and defensive scheme for the triple option that northwestern didn't 

But let's just say we went "basic".

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yeah I wasn't saying I thought we could score 29 each half but 10 for sure

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

3. Play calling is puzzling- why do you give Yant only 4 carries and Betts only one touch after what they did against NW??

4.  Scott Frost is stubborn - why do you keep running up the gut when it wasn't there all night?

So you're mad that we kept running inside and also mad that we didn't play the better inside runner more?

22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So you're mad that we kept running inside and also mad that we didn't play the better inside runner more?

Plus all of that inside running helped create a TD pass to Allen on first drive of the 2nd half, Rahmir had a number of nice runs inside in the 2nd half, and Rahmir's versatility helped produce over 100 yards receiving with a TD.

I doubt Yant makes the TD catch which Rahmir did. Rahmir had over 160 total yards, he wasn't a problem against Michigan, and showed why he was on the field for most of the game.

• Plus1 4
28 minutes ago, ndobney said:

Yeah I wasn't saying I thought we could score 29 each half but 10 for sure

Prior to the game, what did you expect NU to score total against Michigan.  What does it matter if it's done all in the 2nd half, or spread across 2 halves. Also, Frost tried his best but to get 7 points on the very first drive, and people were mad that he didn't take the FG. The number of different ways people want to criticize things is mind-numbing. I know the losses are mind-numbing, too, but crap sometimes teams get beat by a very good team.

I was pissed as heck at the Michigan State loss, because I don't think they are a very good team. Against Michigan, the feeling was more disappointing in that NU just can't get over the hump and beat a good team for once. This is probably Harbaugh's best team, and we had a great shot of winning. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Fixed it for you.

Thanks but you simply cannot deny that as good as Adrian Martinez has been, he still has one big flaw and that is his ability to seal the deal and win close games. If you were to look at his stats without knowing his W-L record, you would think his team is a top 10 contender. What separates a very good QB from a great one is their ability to perform at crunch time. Adrian Martinez is a very good QB but not a great one. He has had many opportunities to seal the win and he found ways to lose. In the Michigan game, the defense, the offense, and the special teams played well enough for us to win the game. It came down to QB play. In his career, AM has done wonderful things for Nebraska. Some of the plays he did remind me of Eric Crouch, yet the difference is that Eric crouch found ways to win close games and AM has not. He has been given so many opportunities yet he keeps coming up short. Unfortunately, when this is all said and done, his record is all that people will remember. And I do not mean the fans. I respect AM and I agree that he has been a crucial part of the team build up. He is an amazing young man and deserves a lot of credit but you cannot deny that his performance at crunch time has been disappointing. Just think of how many times he had the ball in his hands with a chance to go down the field and win the game and how many times he ended up actually winning the game. I admit that it is not always his fault and the OL did not help in some of those cases but great QBs find a way to win in spite of that. I leave you with one question: arguably, AM is a much better athlete and a more dynamic QB than Iowa’s Spencer Petras, however, of the two QBs who do you think has a better chance of getting drafted by an NFL team and why?

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Prior to the game, what did you expect NU to score total against Michigan.  What does it matter if it's done all in the 2nd half, or spread across 2 halves. Also, Frost tried his best but to get 7 points on the very first drive, and people were mad that he didn't take the FG. The number of different ways people want to criticize things is mind-numbing. I know the losses are mind-numbing, too, but crap sometimes teams get beat by a very good team.

I was pissed as heck at the Michigan State loss, because I don't think they are a very good team. Against Michigan, the feeling was more disappointing in that NU just can't get over the hump and beat a good team for once. This is probably Harbaugh's best team, and we had a great shot of winning. 

I know you're not replying to me here but from my perspective I wasn't upset we scored 0 points in the first half. I was upset the creativity we saw against NW was gone and didn't show up until the 3rd quarter. I feel like that was the plan but I feel that plan backfired by tiring out our defense too soon.